NCL Luggage Policy

zdub86

Can someone please provide a link to the NCL luggage policy? My wife and I are each checking in a suitcase, and then a carry on for each. What I'm mainly wondering is if it's the same as airlines for the liquid bottle policy. Do we need to have our shampoos, conditioners, and other liquids in the travel-size bottles? Do we have to put the full size bottles into the checked in luggage (like airports)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Can someone please provide a link to the NCL luggage policy? My wife and I are each checking in a suitcase, and then a carry on for each. What I'm mainly wondering is if it's the same as airlines for the liquid bottle policy. Do we need to have our shampoos, conditioners, and other liquids in the travel-size bottles? Do we have to put the full size bottles into the checked in luggage (like airports)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The only liquids you need to worry about are alcoholic beverages. Only wine is allowed and you have to carry it on.

The only liquids you need to worry about are alcoholic beverages. Only wine is allowed and you have to carry it on.

Okay thanks, so we can include our full-sized shampoo/conditioner/body wash bottles inside our carry-on luggage? For some reason I thought it was similar to airlines, where you can't have those full-size bottles inside your carry-on luggage and you must use the travel size bottles.

Ships are not like the airlines. The only restriction is that they need to be less than 50 lbs.

One of our big suitcases that will be checked in is very heavy. I have no way of weighing it at home. If it is indeed over 50 lbs what do they make us do? Start throwing away some clothes? How strictly enforced is this weight policy?

NCL would be a pioneer in enforcing the recommended 50 lbs (22.7 kg) luggage weight limit and/or 22" carry-on size, etc. like the airlines - especially with mega ships' turnaround timetable, even if it is early/on-time.

No, don't worry about it - not yet ... in the near future. We packed ours to no more than 40 to 45 lbs max. using a 22" expandable rollerboard, taking only a 25" expandable that's no more than 2/3 full as it will otherwise be in excess of 60 lbs tightly packed & loaded.

We're re-trained one of our SIL, notorious for overpacking and taking assorted 16 oz. containers of hair spray, gel, shampoo, conditioner and 8 oz. toothpaste, etc. on a short 7 days cruise, LOL - but if one insist, drop them in the bigger suitcase & let the porter take care of delivering them from pier to the ship for routing to one's deck.

As a tech geek, 40% of my personal backpack is loaded with assorted digital gadgets, they didn't have to come out for visuals. Shoes stay on - most recently in NYC, belts & watches, coins & pen, keys, etc. get dumped into my own Eagle Creek pack-it pouch, inside my backpack. No allarms, no wanes, no pat down, etc. either - walked right thru the "machine".

NCL has switched to a body soap instead of a combo shampoo-conditioner, plus liquid soap. Bring a 3 oz. one for any personal shampoo and/or conditioner if needed. A bar of solid soap is usually in the bathroom. Disposable shower cap, bring one if you use them ... no longer widely available, if at all.

THE LINK you requested:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#how-many-suitcases

The luggage (baggage) policy is some what different from the airlines.

Your carry on luggage is TSA restricted on the airplane.

Carry on luggage with NCL is similar and yet less restricted except for:

WMD - weapons of mass destruction - knives spears guns hazardous chemicals alcohol AND WATER !

The airlines may charge you a fee for each baggage piece or waived the charges if an affinity customer.

NCL does not charge anything for the handling of two pieces of checked luggage per person and I have

never heard of any cases where extra luggage being charged - simply if you can haul it to the pier and

tip the porter adequately it will be at your cabin door as usual.

Carry on luggage is the same if you can man handle it to your cabin - have at it.

The weight of baggage on airlines is controlled by charging for overweight oversize baggage.

NCL has (LINK) a weight limit of 50 pounds but this generally is ignored if your luggage has wheels and

can be wheeled about - hint don't expect tender loving care for baggage that takes two porters stevedores

cabin stewards to tote to your cabin. So don't bring the kitchen sink along !

Wheel chairs scooters and other medical aids are NEVER charged and are not part of the luggage limits

on both the airlines and NCL ships.

You don't need to bring your weight lifting or exercise equipment - most ships have all of that and then some.

Closing comments - don't bring along your Titanic steamer trunk - are you crazy !

Ya gots to haul that stuff around with you to the cruise and home - take it easy - don't pack more luggage

than you can handle !

The 50 lbs is not a real issue.

All those other liquids are not an issue.

It is nothing like the airlines. So far, nobody has driven a ship into a building.

Do whatever you want. Really.

Except water, booze, etc.

LOL...I hope the OP takes a look at some of those bags people haul to cruise ship piers AND the number of them. Fifty pounds? They use containers on forklifts to move those bags and believe me, some of them look big enough to need a crane.

• Haha 1

One of our big suitcases that will be checked in is very heavy. I have no way of weighing it at home. If it is indeed over 50 lbs what do they make us do? Start throwing away some clothes? How strictly enforced is this weight policy?

All I do is tip the porter extra for my heavy suitcases. There are no scales like at the airport, you'll be fine.

Do we need to have our shampoos, conditioners, and other liquids in the travel-size bottles? Do we have to put the full size bottles into the checked in luggage (like airports)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Keep in mind that you are going to have to tote those full size bottles everywhere on the ship until the rooms are ready-probably 1pm or so. It gets really annoying having everything with you as you are trying to explore the ship.

Keep in mind that you are going to have to tote those full size bottles everywhere on the ship until the rooms are ready-probably 1pm or so. It gets really annoying having everything with you as you are trying to explore the ship.

We do carryon on only. Wheeled. We have no problem dragging it to the dining room. Once we are done eating, we then go to our room. And, yes... many ships have a place where you can leave your carryon until rooms are ready. I see no reason to bother with that.

But, as said, if you have checked luggage, you can leave all that stuff in there.

It's not enforced, but if it is that heavy,, do yourself, the longshoremen, and the crew a favor and split it in to two bags. You don't have a limit on the number of bags you can take on board.

If you are really concerned, you can buy a luggage scale fairly inexpensive (target, Walmart). Or you can always use your bathroom scale, get on the scale and weigh yourself and then pick up the suitcase and get back on the scale and note the difference.

I had a piece that was 55 pounds and there was no problem... Until I got to the airport and then had to repack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

THE LINK you requested:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#how-many-suitcases

The luggage (baggage) policy is some what different from the airlines.

Your carry on luggage is TSA restricted on the airplane.

Carry on luggage with NCL is similar and yet less restricted except for:

WMD - weapons of mass destruction - knives spears guns hazardous chemicals alcohol AND WATER !

The airlines may charge you a fee for each baggage piece or waived the charges if an affinity customer.

NCL does not charge anything for the handling of two pieces of checked luggage per person and I have

never heard of any cases where extra luggage being charged - simply if you can haul it to the pier and

tip the porter adequately it will be at your cabin door as usual.

Carry on luggage is the same if you can man handle it to your cabin - have at it.

The weight of baggage on airlines is controlled by charging for overweight oversize baggage.

NCL has (LINK) a weight limit of 50 pounds but this generally is ignored if your luggage has wheels and

can be wheeled about - hint don't expect tender loving care for baggage that takes two porters stevedores

cabin stewards to tote to your cabin. So don't bring the kitchen sink along !

Wheel chairs scooters and other medical aids are NEVER charged and are not part of the luggage limits

on both the airlines and NCL ships.

You don't need to bring your weight lifting or exercise equipment - most ships have all of that and then some.

Closing comments - don't bring along your Titanic steamer trunk - are you crazy !

Ya gots to haul that stuff around with you to the cruise and home - take it easy - don't pack more luggage

than you can handle !

One of our suitcases was over 55 pounds and

We took six pieces of luggage for two people on the ship with no issues at all' date=' so they do not enforce the weight, or number rule.

We put our large shampoo, conditioner, etc in the bags we leave with the porter, so you don't have to lug it around.....

One of our suitcases was over 55 pounds and

We took six pieces of luggage for two people on the ship with no issues at all, so they do not enforce the weight, or number rule.

Sailing in a few days and DW and I had a hilarious conversation tonight (funnier considering this will be her 3rd cruise, 2nd with NCL, so she has some experience):

DW: wait, you said we're checking the two suit cases, the hangning bag, and the small suitcase?!? (very worried tone)

Me: Yeah, I will keep our important stuff in my backpack and your tote to carry on, and we'll probably carry the small suitcase off with us to disembark.

DW: But, that's 4 checked bags.

Me: Yeah, So?

DW: They allow that many checked bags?!?!?

Me: According to their policy that's what they allow, but if we want we could check even more.

DW: I really don't want to tempt fate, let's keep it to four.

She really can't get out of "airline mentality" since this is our first cruise without an air component since 2009.

• Thanks 1