Northern Europe logistic questions???

Help Me.

We are cruising the Baltic next summer embarking from Warnmunde, GE. Is it better to fly into Berlin or Hamburg. Hamburg is closer, but Berlin is bigger. Seconding, how do we get from the airport to port from either airport?

Thank you, I might panic, but CruiseCritic has always had the answers I need.

Better to start somewhere other than Warnemunde.. if you mut start there, try to arrive the day before . Choose Hamburg or Berlin based on your transatlantic flights. You need to research whether to go by train or by private driver

Train takes 3 hrs+ with 2 transfers and costs 50€ pp.

Edited by Earl Rosebery

Do not know where your ar coming from - but I assume that you might have better flight options to Berlin than Hamburg. I'll prefer a direct fly rather than a stop over from Hamburg.

Train from Berlin is 3:40 to 4 hours - Hamburg is 3 hours.

Best option is private transfer

We are coming from the USA. Would Copenhagen be a better departure city?

Thanks,

Depends on the ship and flights.

Last June, NCL Breakaway was just ahead of us leaving Copenhagen.. The winds were so high they couldn’t get into Warnemünde on schedule. However, they had to pick up some passengers there so they went into Warnemünde 24 hrs late. We were on Marina and had Warnemünde to ourselves. They then had to skip a port or 2 in order to get to St petersburg on time.

The dock in Copenhagen is about 1 hr. from the airport.

We are coming from the USA. Would Copenhagen be a better departure city?

I’ll consider Copenhagen easier accessible. Port is only 15 minutes North of the city center and 30 minutes from Airport- but very much depend on what you want to do pre- and post cruise. Also flight schedules. Highly recommended to fly in at least the day before in case of flight delay - but also to adjust to the time difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would decide by which flights are cheaper and where you want to spend time for the jet lag recovery. Hamburg is a nice city, things to see and do or relax on an Alster (lake) sightseeing boat tour. Minatur Wunderland is something to see as well and you will probably spend a couple of hours in there.

Berlin is another big city, things to see and do but I would allow more land time if you want to experience it.

Either one is easy to get to Warnemunde from with the train. If you plan on that don't bring more luggage than you can handle yourself.

Flying into Berlin will have more price span with some real bargains, and Berlin is a very interesting city to visit. Arriving a day or to early is well worth the time exploring it. That is IF your preferred cruise is home port of Germany. Copenhagen is a better cruise starting point, however. So is Stockholm. Probably the best starting point are the few ships that start the cruise in St Petersburg which allows as many days before or after the cruise to explore, being the most interesting city of all the Baltic by far. The only downside is needing to get visas. Getting visas, however, saves a lot of money on lodging and tours so money-wise you would be far ahead by exploring in leisure on your own. It is a very accessible visitor-friendly city, and much less expensive than other Baltic ports..