Cruising around Hawaii

HardyVA

To my knowledge, NCL's Pride of America is the only ship that does a 7-night cruise around the islands. It starts and ends in Honolulu. All other cruise lines end or begin on the mainland and then sail around the islands. Lots of sea days. It looks like most of those are 10 - 15 night cruises.

Just a little reading on the board will give tons of details on cruising Hawaii, including that NCL is the only cruise line with cruises just within the state of Hawaii.

Also, some reading would reveal the weather doesn't really change a lot on Hawaii. We have to Hawaii almost 30 times...all land visits. Every month but July. There is no bad time to visit Hawaii.

I have done literally no research on visiting Hawaii. It just came to mind the other day. Do you think we should just do Hawaii on land? What recommendations would you have? Since we are retired we can go anytime for 2-4 weeks. Or do you think we should go an Alaska cruise land tour?

I have done literally no research on visiting Hawaii. It just came to mind the other day. Do you think we should just do Hawaii on land? What recommendations would you have? Since we are retired we can go anytime for 2-4 weeks. Or do you think we should go an Alaska cruise land tour?

With all due respect, it sounds like you may want a vacation but are toying with where to go at this point - and Hawaii and Alaska just sounded like something different. Your destination should be someplace you want to visit and really want to see and experience. If you are from the east coast, you will be looking at a fair amount of travel to get to and from either destination - not to mention a fair amount of money, time and effort spent too. Learn a lot more about both places before you make any decisions.

With all due respect, it sounds like you may want a vacation but are toying with where to go at this point - and Hawaii and Alaska just sounded like something different. Your destination should be someplace you want to visit and really want to see and experience. If you are from the east coast, you will be looking at a fair amount of travel to get to and from either destination - not to mention a fair amount of money, time and effort spent too. Learn a lot more about both places before you make any decisions.

I agree. IF you decide on Hawaii, and have longer time, like 2 weeks, many of here commonly discuss and recommend a land trip to Hawaii, maybe visiting 3 islands.

But, first you need to focus on an area...

Both Alaska and Hawaii are wonderful vacations. With 2-4 weeks you could combine the cruise with a land vacation: a few days on land at your departure port (Seattle or Vancouver for Alaska, Oahu for Hawaii), one week on the ship, then 1-2 weeks on land exploring the area.

For Hawaii the recommendation is normally one island per week on a land vacation. You could also do a cruise/land combo in Tahiti.

I would do 4 weeks in Hawaii any time, every time. I usually do 3 weeks vacation there every Sept/Oct. I am on Oahu every three months at least on business and occasionally on Maui.

With a month I'd do 5 nights or so on Oahu in a hotel in Waikiki then 3 weeks or more in a condo on Kauai (my personal fave) or Maui. I'd throw the Big Island in the mix too except for that whole volcano spewing lava thing currently.

You COULD do a week each on Oahu, Maui and Kauai if you don't mind the in and out of airports thing.

TripAdvisor, the parent company of Cruise Critic, has very up-to-date info on the Big Island and air quality, etc.