Slendida vs Divina

Smurf2017

We have recently returned from a 12 day cruise on Divina. On day 3 of our cruise we took the plunge and booked for Splendida for 2019, but by day 12 we were wondering if that was a mistake.

Our main problems with Divina were the food and disorganisation in the ship's operation.

As raised by many before me, the food was not hot enough, especially in the buffet. I do wonder if maintaining foods at these low temperatures is actually a cause for concern health wise. I have worked in the travel industry and our representatives had to make daily temperature probes of food in hotel buffets. None of what we were offered on Divina would have passed the test.

There were many issues on board with organisation and these were not handled particularly well when pointed out to staff. The main offenders being the staff on Reception or Guest Services who at times seemed to contradict one another.

To those of you who have experienced both ships, are we right to be concerned about our future booking? I did hear it mentioned several times by other passengers, that many of the original Divina crew had been transferred to Seaside. The vacant slots were then filled with newcomers who were still settling in. I can understand if that is the case, but surely at least the staff on Guest Relations should have a grip on company policy, wherever they have come from.

To save anyone taking the time to suggest cancelling the booking, as a UK customer we are not able to do that without losing our deposit.

Hi Smurf. The concerns you raise regarding your cruise on Divina have been raised about every ship in the MSC fleet at various times, by members on Cruise Critic and other forums. We have sailed on 5 MSC ships including Divina and Splendida. Our experience has been varied but; the food in the buffet was always warm enough to eat without concern, never piping hot but warm. This is the way with nearly all buffets and the European way is to serve food warm, not hot, on land or at sea. As to staff moving to Seaside etc, sure, some will but MSC employs thousands of staff on rolling contracts, the experience can't all be lost by launching new ships. There will always be new staff on the ships, learning the ropes. MSC Guest Relations is notorious on these boards but I have not had any bad experiences with them. Yes, it is a bureaucratic company, decisions are not made quickly or at all on the ship. everything has to go back to head office in Italy or Miami, it's slow. They're not very flexible, they do not want to refund you any money and they want to maximise the money they make off you. This is true, to a large extent, of all cruise/holiday companies but MSC has a certain image that it is not shaking off. However, MSC offers a cruise product at a price that is hard to beat, beautiful ships, flexible boarding ports, reasonable food, cheapest drinks packages etc. We have 2 more cruises booked on MSC, including Seaside in 2019. Go enjoy Splendida, it's a lovely ship. DV

Thank you both for your informative replies.

@CruiseIreland - As a Brit who has lived in five European countries and visited many others, with the exception of Greece, I'm not sure I can agree with you on Europeans serving warm food. In fact, only last year I enjoyed a wonderful 10 days touring your beautiful country, savouring piping hot, delicious dishes everywhere we went. I understand all the other points you make and, as we booked our flights today, I guess we are good to go.

Thanks again

Thank you both for your informative replies.

@CruiseIreland - As a Brit who has lived in five European countries and visited many others, with the exception of Greece, I'm not sure I can agree with you on Europeans serving warm food. In fact, only last year I enjoyed a wonderful 10 days touring your beautiful country, savouring piping hot, delicious dishes everywhere we went. I understand all the other points you make and, as we booked our flights today, I guess we are good to go.

Thanks again

In Ireland, we are used to food that scalds the osephagus(SP) so not quite as European as the continent! Enjoy the cruise! Ken