P&O versus Princess?

summerhols

Hello,

We went on a fantastic holiday on the Grand Princess last summer and would gladly book with them again for next summer, but their itineraries don't suit us. So I am looking at either a Western Med cruise on the Oceana or a Canaries cruise on the Ventura, slap bang in the middle of the school summer holidays.

Has anyone been on those ships and can compare them with the Grand Princess? What we liked about that ship was the fantastic food, smiley service and the fact that, even though it was full, it never seemed too busy. Somehow or other the logistics always seemed to work well.

Would we get a similar experience on the P&O Oceana or Ventura? Very grateful to hear your views. Thanks a lot.

You'll find our (rather lengthy!) comparison - albeit with Azura - over on the Princess boards ........

A family member has just done a first cruise on Oceana this summer and enjoyed it but from the reports we feel that she would be a bit small for us. Ventura, however, might well give you a very similar experience to being on The Grand ... indeed, there are aspects you may well feel are better.

Good luck in making your choice.

Ibrasu

The fewer number of cabins and thus passengers on Grand Princess made areas like the buffet far less congested. Grand also has two freedom dining restaurants, Ventura only one, so if you prefer this book Ventura early.

We never had to wait for a table for three on Grand, on Ventura we had to wait a few times for a table even when we were happy sharing a table with others.

Our B deck balcony cabin on Grand was larger than the B deck balcony cabin we had on Ventura as was the bathroom at the expense of wardrobe space.

Hi, we have been on both the Grand and the Ventura. Both ships are almost identical in layout, the food was marginally better on the Ventura in my opinion but only because there was not a great deal of veg at dinner on the Grand. The staff on the Grand are perhaps a bit more informal with guests which is fun but both ships provide good service. We have also been on the Oceana which was a good experience but I prefer the bigger ships. There isn't a great deal of difference between the Grand and Ventura and I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice. Happy cruising:)

Hello,

We went on a fantastic holiday on the Grand Princess last summer and would gladly book with them again for next summer, but their itineraries don't suit us. So I am looking at either a Western Med cruise on the Oceana or a Canaries cruise on the Ventura, slap bang in the middle of the school summer holidays.

Has anyone been on those ships and can compare them with the Grand Princess? What we liked about that ship was the fantastic food, smiley service and the fact that, even though it was full, it never seemed too busy. Somehow or other the logistics always seemed to work well.

Would we get a similar experience on the P&O Oceana or Ventura? Very grateful to hear your views. Thanks a lot.

I cant offer you a comparison, but after two summer trips on the Grand out of Southampton, which we absolutely loved to bits, we have booked for the Aurora to the Canaries next summer, 2013! This was because Princess were not offering an itinerary that suited us.

We took lots of helpful advice from both CC and friends and family, and have taken the plunge! It seems that P&O may be slightly cheaper, and we are a wee bit concerned there may be a reduction in quality/service. However, we wont really know until we have "done it" so are keeping fingers crossed.

The Aurora will be considerably smaller for us, than the Grand Princess, so our other hope is that it will not seem overcrowded with too little to do!

Good luck in your decision & I hope it turns out to be the right one for you.

I can't really comment on Princess but I have traveled on other US lines: Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Celeb and to be honest P&O and Ventura wins hands down.

I have just got off Carnival Ecstacy (this morning) and all I am thinking now is that I will definitely be booking with P&O for our next cruise. We have tried lots of other lines but P&O in my opinion is a cut above.

I have cruised on both Oceana and Ventura and both ships are excellent. A good friend of mine is currently the production manager on Oceana and has said that Oceana is having a bit of a refit at the end of this year. So next year might be a good time to cruise on her.

We have never found children to be too much of a problem, the kids clubs usually keep them out of the way.

As for quality and service, once again I have found P&O to be top of the class when it comes to both.

We've done the Grand a few times (and going on her again this Saturday!), and also done the Azura twice (sister ship to Ventura). As others have said, they are very similar in some respects.

In my experience the service is about the same (some great staff and some not so good for both companies), food now similar, although there is a better choice on Princess (the "always available" in the evening dining rooms I missed on P&O and the International Cafe is one of my favourite places on Princess!).

The rooms are the same, although P&O have better TV viewing choice and you can see your account via the TV in your cabin.

There is also a kettle and tea/coffee on P&O in the cabin, but Princess have those yummy choc chip cookies delivered with tea!

I think you'll find many similarities with the two ships and the service offered. Sure you will enjoy your cruise.

I agree that in many ways the two ships are very similar and indeed the layout on Ventura will feel very familiar to you. However there were some differences which we noticed.

Firstly Ventura is a newer ship and feels brighter and less worn. The dress code was more relaxed on the Grand with lots of bermuda shorts in evidence on the second formal night. On Ventura most people observed the dress codes. The service was different, less smiley on Ventura but we felt more genuine. Although both ships sailed from Southampton the Ventura had many less international passengers.

We felt that the buffet food on Ventura was of poorer quality but preferred the restaurant fare on her. We love silver service and the variety of vegetables available. Also afternoon tea on Ventura is better.

Overall we prefer P&O and its very British feel. However everyone is different and the only way to be sure is to try different lines. We would never say no to a cruise on either ship!

I cant offer you a comparison, but after two summer trips on the Grand out of Southampton, which we absolutely loved to bits, we have booked for the Aurora to the Canaries next summer, 2013! This was because Princess were not offering an itinerary that suited us.

We took lots of helpful advice from both CC and friends and family, and have taken the plunge! It seems that P&O may be slightly cheaper, and we are a wee bit concerned there may be a reduction in quality/service. However, we wont really know until we have "done it" so are keeping fingers crossed.

The Aurora will be considerably smaller for us, than the Grand Princess, so our other hope is that it will not seem overcrowded with too little to do!

Good luck in your decision & I hope it turns out to be the right one for you.

Don't worry that the level of service on P&O will be less tahn that on Princess. We have been committed Princess cruisers for the last 20 years but recently we decide to give P&O another try (we last sailed with them 6 years ago) so this year we have done the Grand Princess and the Ventura and I would say that the service and food was better on the Ventura. We have just booked another cruise with P&O, this time on the Oceana because we feel that while standards have reduced on both lines P&O is currently slightly better.

I think its important to remember that P & O and Princess while owned by the same company are different "products" and operate in different markets.

Here in Australia P & O is a very different product and market to that of P & O (UK) and Princess is different again.

And thats where the fun begins. We will always have own preferences for what make a good cruise into a great cruise, but the reason that most of us travel is to see and experience different countries and cultures.

I have traveled on P & O (Aust), P & O (UK) and Princess (Aust) and the thing I like most is getting to experience the culture of cruising from each perspective. I am yet to do a Princess (US) cruise, but I believe the experience would be different again. There is even a difference on the same line between ships. I have a favourite venue on the Australian Pacific Dawn which does not exist her sister Pacific Jewel.

You won't find the same food or even the same service on P & O (UK) as you did on Princess and vice versa, but if you are willing to try a new experience go for it. If you want the same food and service and ship as before then stay with the Grand.

Cruising is the best holiday of all, where else can you stay in your room and still see the world!

Archived