12 night british isles rt from southampton (with dublin overnight) 9/10/17

MisterMet

GLASGOW (PORT OF GREENOCK), SCOTLAND 9/16/17 Part

We didn’t know if we were dreaming, hallucinating, o rhearing a Captain’s announcement from the corridor, but we awoke this morning to the sounds of bagpipes. When Mrs. Met and I finally realized that it was coming from outside, we sprang to the balcony door like kids on Christmas morning to hear our wake-up call. It was quite special and kudos to whomever made this happen, be it the tourism authority or the cruise line. Our daily room service order of coffee, tea,fruit, pastry, yogurt, and granola fueled our bodies for our first experience in Scotland, a country we both had longed to visit.

The ship was anchored at the terminal located on the River Clyde and our coach warmed up in the port to take us on our journey through the Scottish Highland that we’d heard of in story and song. Our friends were on another excursion and now playing a man down as one of the gentlemen was feeling ill.

Our stops would include the town of Luss on Loch Lomond, the Rest and Be Thankful Pass, the town of Inveraray, Inveraray Castle, and afantastic ferry ride across the River Clyde back to port.

Luss, Scotland sits about half way up Loch Lomond’s western shore. It is a wonderfully sleepy, little town and just what you’d imagine a small Scottish town to be. A quick, 45-minute tour of the town on our own produced wonderful pictures of quaint houses, beautiful churches,and the most picturesque shores of the Loch.

We re-boarded the coach to continue the journey into the Highlands. Each turn of the bus provided one dramatic vista after another. We stopped for some selfies at the Rest and Be Thankful pass. Looking back down on the valley from the top in Glen Croe, you can see the original road that was built in 1750 by the military. A stone at the top of the pass is inscribed “rest and be thankful” and was placed there by the soldiers who built it.

Another delicious lunch at a local hotel (we forgot which one exactly, but think it was the Loch Fyne Hotel and Spa) preceded our visit to the town of Inveraray on banks of Loch Fyne. A quick visit to the apothecary for some cold medicine and cough drops for Mr. Met allowed us to meet some locals who welcomed us to their town. When we told them where we were from, they expressed concern for us about the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, like so many had before. We were glad to report from texts received once we made port in Greenock, informed us that power had returned after 5 days, the dog and her sitter were now back occupying our house and it was still standing and habitable.

After we visited this lovely town, we then boarded the coach to Inveraray Castle. It is part museum and part residence to the Duke of Argyll who lives on the top two floors with his wife and children. It is the home of the Campbell clan and the Duke is its Chief. He and the Duchess welcome nearly 1,000 visitors a day during tourist season. Often you can find them working in the gift shop or milling about the grounds. It was a truly gorgeous place. The ornate décor and more than 1,800 historical pieces including muskets, pistols, and swords are well displayed and very interesting. If you were to imaginea castle in your mind, this would be it. It was a simply gorgeous place and it should not be missed if you are in thearea.

After a wonderful visit at the castle, we were back on the bus headed toward port. A 20 minute ferry ride across the River Clyde saved more than 2 more hours of driving through the countryside. Luckily, the river was quite calm and the transit smooth. We were back in port by 4:00 and ventured back up to our cabin to catch up withour friends and perhaps grab a nap. Just before our 6:00 PM departure, we again heard the bagpipes. However, this time it was an entire corps perched on the pier to give us a wonderful send off. The sound of bagpipes is Mr. Met’s kryptonite due to his Irish heritage. His emotions got the best of him. It seemed that the bagpipers were not only saying, “thank you for visiting our wonderful town and country”, but also that things at home were going to be alright and it was now ok to enjoy this dream vacation without worry, concern or guilt from being so far away from family and friends. Message received.

The Wake up Callers

24656928828_2e704463ef_c.jpg

Port of Invergordon, Scotland

24656926788_1e7ea263de_c.jpg

Cottages in Town of Luss

24656926218_74107955ca_c.jpg

24656925098_3a594d8fd3_c.jpg

Water bus stop in the town of Luss on Loch Lomond

24656919778_15b24b3bcc_c.jpg

After our visit in the town of Inveraray, we then made the short drive to Inveraray Castle. It's home to the Duke of Argyll and the seat of the Campbell Clan

38528982961_73d82b9996_c.jpg

38473519916_e5502b442d_c.jpg

38497532442_4ab6112f44_c.jpg

The Duke of Argyll and his family occupy the top two floors, and the rest is open to the public for touring

37641942895_4f87cc2aa6_c.jpg

The official china

37813674644_cca0305157_c.jpg

24656898368_c2c8caeb8a_c.jpg

The Duke and Duchess of Argyll's wedding photos are on display. It reminds all that this is not only a beautiful castle, but also a family residence.

24656895208_c5f903a96d_c.jpg

The Duke's coronation robe and coronet

38528986591_864c9b5f1e_c.jpg

The Duke and Duchess wedding robe and gown

38473522786_68156ef190_c.jpg

Trip, thanks for the wonderful pictures and especially those from Northern Ireland which I am happy to see as a tourist destination now thanks to the cruise ship stops. The Game of Thrones and Titanic connections also help kindle interest. Your pictures, up near Portrush, show how beautiful the coastline can be, if not the weather which is often drizzling rain. That's what keeps it so green. I was always amazed to see palm trees grow in Portavogie,as a kid, in the gardens of the nicer houses as the climate, although damp, never gets too hot or too cold (by Chicago standards)

The pub shot in Dublin where they had the peat fire was evocative to me. I spent time in pubs in my youth and unlike the lady in the shot I wasn't staring at a phone but enjoying the lack of piped music and the sound of people just talking and listening. I hope you got to converse with some locals wherever you went. I notice how open and friendly they are when I go back home.

Keep the memories coming!

Norris

Trip, thanks for the wonderful pictures and especially those from Northern Ireland which I am happy to see as a tourist destination now thanks to the cruise ship stops. The Game of Thrones and Titanic connections also help kindle interest. Your pictures, up near Portrush, show how beautiful the coastline can be, if not the weather which is often drizzling rain. That's what keeps it so green. I was always amazed to see palm trees grow in Portavogie,as a kid, in the gardens of the nicer houses as the climate, although damp, never gets too hot or too cold (by Chicago standards)

The pub shot in Dublin where they had the peat fire was evocative to me. I spent time in pubs in my youth and unlike the lady in the shot I wasn't staring at a phone but enjoying the lack of piped music and the sound of people just talking and listening. I hope you got to converse with some locals wherever you went. I notice how open and friendly they are when I go back home.

Keep the memories coming!

Norris

Norris,

I’m glad you liked the pictures of N. Ireland. We loved our time there. Wish we had an overnight there like we did in Dublin. The landscapes and vistas were phenomenal. The people matched the beauty of the land. As you probably know we are followers of the Rick Steves method: travel like a local. While it’s nice to hit some touristy places, we enjoy the local scene more. You will not meet the locals in the tourist traps. Pam and I are inquisitive, talkaholics. We’d rather find out about you than talk about ourselves. That’s why we loved traversing London via black cab. They were quite personable, knowledgeable, and professional. The whole trip was that way to a certain extent. We didn’t run into one person who was dower, disinterested, or inattentive. From the flights on BA to both hotels in London and of course Princess, the service was top notch all the way around.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Carol. Thanks for following along. Still two more Scotland stops and Guernsey too!

Trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trip, we are Rick Steves people and although we like to see the big sights we like to wander down the back alleys and side streets and chat to shopkeepers and waiters etc. We use Rosetta Stone and Berlitz to help us in Europe but in the UK English is the way to go and so with no language or memorizing issues you can really interact and a London cabbie, say, would be a mine of information for anyone who speaks Cockney 'cor blimey Guv'nor. I have only the fondest memories of Scotland, Ireland (North and South) England and Wales although each is rich in Regional character and I barely scratched the surface of any of those countries, including the one I was born in.

I am glad you got a good taste of what they have to offer and share it with us here.

Norris

I apologize for the long delay between posts. We had a wonderful, but very busy Thanksgiving weekend. We have resumed a semi-normal schedule and hope to keep the posts coming in a more consistent manner. So back to our regularly scheduled programming....

SEA DAY #2 9/17/17

Sleeping in was on the agenda this morning as Mrs. and Mr. Met were now both battling colds/sinus issues. The Caribbean Princess’ steam from Greenock to Invergordon came with sunny skies, warmer temperatures and calm seas. Our path would take us near the outer islands of Scotland including the Isle of Skye. The views of these island were amazing. I took some photos on my run around the promenade deck. This exercise was my attempt to feel less guilty about all the delicious food I was eating. What’s the best way to celebrate a good run? Exactly, visit the Salty Dog to try the Ernesto gourmet burger with a side of fries! It was fantastic. The only drawback was the time in which it took to receive it. It’s truly a special order and is prepared from scratch, but totally worth the 25 minute wait.

Shopping for Princess gifts and a return to the stateroom for a nap ended a very relaxing afternoon aboard this wonderful ship.

We were then off to Vines to catch up with the other two couples, one of whom was celebrating a wedding anniversary. The celebratory groom was still ill and would not be making the reservation he’d set up for Steamers on this 2nd formal night. The food and crew in Steamers was second to none and we really enjoyed the evening. Comedian Jo Little cracked us up in the Princess Theatre. Mr. Met then accompanied the ladies to the balloon drop and dancing in the Piazza. After showing off some serious moves, post-dancing decaffeinated cappuccinos and espressos were ordered at the International Café before turning in.

38686338471_b30e5f064c_c.jpg

38629645526_f7804225bd_c.jpg

26910024019_cdf8f393a3_c.jpg

26910024019_cdf8f393a3_c.jpg

37798251335_a3d2950440_c.jpg

26910022549_32c11b8f9a_c.jpg

Cruise Director Gary Golding strutting his stuff in the Piazza after the balloon drop

38686336461_67f65d746c_c.jpg

Happy Anniversary! Too bad Mr. was sick :(:(

26910258999_5e799ee481_c.jpg

This is what you get when you miss your Anniversary dinner because you're sick...

26910260129_f7b8ea4669_c.jpg

Well, maybe he had a little soup from room service, but it certainly wasn't the way they were hoping to celebrate their anniversary!

INVERGORDON (INVERNESS), SCOTLAND 9/18/17

We love getting room service on excursion mornings. First, it provides us a wake-up call. Second, we feel we don’t have to rush upstairs to battle the crowds in the Market Place. Third, we love to sit out on the balcony (if it isn’t raining) and enjoy the views at each port we visit. Our “regular” breakfast was enjoyed on C-415’s large balcony with views of the Cromarty Firth, dormant oil rigs, and beautiful views of the shoreline and surrounding countryside. We surely would need great vision this day as we were off to spot the elusive “Nessie.” Our travels through the Highlands would also include stops at Urquhart Castle on the banks of Loch Ness, and Culloden Moor. It would be a day of myth, lore and history. We were “coffeed” up and ready to go.

The coach headed SW along the Firth before crossing over it on our way toward Inverness. The bus followed along Loch Ness toward Drumnadrochit and then back to the loch toUrquhart Castle. The remains of this castle lie about half way down the length of the loch and sits high above its banks. The views just even from the visitor center were tremendous and became better once we traveled down toward the ruins of this 13th century castle.

After working our way through the ruins, back up the hill to the visitor center for some Earl Grey and scones, we made our way down to the dock for a boat ride north on Loch Ness in our efforts to spot “Nessie.” Legend has it that she lives in a cave underneath the ruins of the castle and uses the loch as her playground. Our twenty-minute boat ride came and went with no Nessie spotting’s, but did offer beautiful views of the Scottish countryside nonetheless. We disembarked just outside of Inverness and boarded the bus for lunch at a hotel along the River Ness.

We then headed Northeast toward the town o fCulloden. Here the Jacobites led by“Bonnie Prince Charlie” were defeated by forces loyal to the British Crown led by the Duke of Cumberland in a bloody battle that lasted only an hour. The open battlefield would remind one of visiting the Gettysburg battlefield sight. It was a very interesting, somber place.

Mrs. Met and I were battling bad colds this day and once we were back on the ship, we contacted our friends to let them know we would not be making our standing dinner reservation. We grabbed a quick bite in the Market Place and then ordered hot tea from room service before turning in early. Our friends hit the Princess Theatre for Kyle Esplin’s musical variety show and gave him two thumbs up.

Oil rigs (dormant) on Cromarty Firth in Invergordon, Scotland

26910401819_9fe9ec2998_c.jpg

Caribbean Princess in Invergordon, Scotland

37968459004_e433fc841d_c.jpg

Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness

37798607095_6b0d162539_c.jpg

37968458544_4e0fc5e4c6_c.jpg

There's a special name for this catapult thing, but I honestly can't remember what it's called

26910399469_ea46f60b75_c.jpg

These friendly ducks let you walk right up to them, but I didn't touch them. I didn't want to be know as "the guy who touched the ducks and got yelled at", or the guy who "somehow got injured by some friendly, but rogue ducks and missed the rest of the trip or something."

24813743868_bb2f5032a0_c.jpg

You're welcome. Our day there in August was one of my favorites of the cruise. The only thing that would have made it better is if we had had more time at Cawdor Castle. We did an independently arranged excursion with Invergordon Tours.

SOUTH QUEENSFERRY (EDINBURGH), SCOTLAND 9/19/17

With the Caribbean Princess anchored in the Firth ofForth, and our room service breakfast already eaten, we headed for the Island dining room to be called for the tender to shore in South Queensferry. After about a half hour wait we were seated in the tender for a smooth ride under sunny skies to the pier.

This day, our guides were members from the country club where I work in Bonita Springs, FL, just north of our hometown of Naples. They offered to show us around South Queensferry and Edinburgh many months earlier. It was hard to believe that this day had come because we had been looking forward to it so.

They took us on a short drive from the pier to the town of Leith. As part of the “all things Royal Family” theme of the trip. Mrs. Met had booked us all for a tour of the Her Majesty’s Yacht Britannia which is permanently anchored there. We were surprised to see quite a long queue and it was quite crowded. Once aboard, it was easy to see why this was so. She is an elegant, magnificent ship accented with all the luxury befitting her Majesty.

After our nautical tour, our friends began the land portion of our visit to Edinburgh. We hopped on a city bus to get to downtown Edinburgh. Lunch at the Scottish National Gallery was outstanding,and came with beautiful views of the Princess Street Gardens at the Base of the Edinburgh Castle. We then took a leisurely stroll around the gardens and up to the castle for some photos of the Castle. From there we began our walk on the Royal Mile. We stopped for tea and dessert at Patisserie Valerie and then continued the excellent tour we were receiving. We walked about half way on the Royal mile toward Holyrood Palace when we realized our time to get back to the ship was running out. We again boarded the city bus back to the car park in Leith and then onto South Queensferry. We said goodbye to our guides and thanked them for their tremendous hospitality. We really liked seeing Edinburgh, where the modern world and the Middle Ages seem to mesh gloriously.

Back on the Caribbean Princess we enjoyed a lovely sunset on the Firth of Forth from our balcony. The weather was still quite comfortable out and we took advantage of it with some tea and scones from room service. Dinner in the Coral at 7:30 was played with 2 men down as our gentlemen friends were still sick. Mr. Met and the ladies enjoyed our dinners presented exquisitely by Siti and Igor. It was at dinner that we were informed that we would not be stopping in Le Havre, France due to a port strike. However, we would be putting in at St. Peter Port, Guernsey instead. We were a bit saddened that we wouldn’t have a chance to see the Normandy landing beaches, but we realized that we would be going to a place that many people don’t get achance to visit in Guernsey.

Morning on the Firth of Forth

37994223754_f4076f8714_c.jpg

Caribbean Princess tenders ready to load passengers for the short trip ashore to South Queensferry

37994223644_5b6000c2a2_c.jpg

Spiffy new livery on the ship's bow

24838937688_8eec1d90b1_c.jpg

You Are Here...

24838916878_5f9962223a_c.jpg

Anchored on the Firth of Forth just north of South Queensferry

37994221924_eb9f49d5d7_c.jpg

The Royal Yacht Britannia

24838936398_9f0f66a8f7_c.jpg