Epic or Getaway?

tx121

Trying to decide between the Epic or the Getaway? Prices are similar. Itinerary doesnt matter. Thoughts? Which ship is better- food, entertainment, etc.

One question is why did they only build one Epic ship? Is there a flaw in the design?

Any info will be appreciated!

We've been on Getaway twice and absolutely love it! We do not enjoy the pool area however, but do not spend a lot of time there so it's ok. We just booked the Epic for the first time due to itinerary and the departure port being where we live so it works for us.

Bottom line is I think you will definitely enjoy the Getaway if you decide on that ship:).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The individual shows like Burn the Floor and the Cirque show are better on the Epic. Getaway has more of them, but they weren't as good.

Getaway has more choice for eating and drinking and restaurants are better designed with the chance to see out over the sea - it generally felt a little less crowded than the Epic too.

If you're active, then the Getaway rope course is very good. The slides on Getaway are more extreme, while the plunge on Epic is more fun and relaxing. The Epic's gym is much bigger. The spas are different but about as good as each other.

One question is why did they only build one Epic ship? Is there a flaw in the design?

In the opinion of many, Epic is an ugly (ugliest?) ship.

Many feel that it is disconnected from the sea. The Waterfront on BA/GA/Escape/Joy/Bliss helps to solve that problem.

The "unique" lavatory situation in most Epic staterooms is also a problem for many.

NCL wasn't exactly thrilled with STX France (builders of Epic) but that was minor compared to the other complaints.

However, many feel that Epic's Haven and Spice H2O are better than on the newer ships.

Been on both Epic and Breakaway and preferred Epic....

-Adult area (Spice H2O) has a pool and daytime buffet on Epic but neither on Getaway. You can get in the hot tub in the hot sun only on Getaway.

-Outdoor buffet as well for breakfast and lunch on Epic near main pool....themed too for lunch. Neither on Getaway.

-Main theater much smaller on Getaway so shows fill up much quicker.

-Cabin walls on Breakaway were extremely thin. You could hear your neighbor talking which means they can hear you too!!! I suspect will be same on Getaway. Didn't experience this on Epic.

Rest was similar so it comes down to your preference in relating to what you want to do.

In the opinion of many, Epic is an ugly (ugliest?) ship.

Many feel that it is disconnected from the sea. The Waterfront on BA/GA/Escape/Joy/Bliss helps to solve that problem.

The "unique" lavatory situation in most Epic staterooms is also a problem for many.

NCL wasn't exactly thrilled with STX France (builders of Epic) but that was minor compared to the other complaints.

However, many feel that Epic's Haven and Spice H2O are better than on the newer ships.

Thanks everyone for the advice. After you posted about the "Unique" lavatory in the staterooms on the Epic, I just youtubed it and this is definitely a deal breaker. Now if I was going with my significant other, I wouldn't mind so much. This time I am going with a friend and I think it will be quite awkward for both of us. Getaway it is! lol!

Been on both.

Epic was our first NCL cruise, Getaway was our second. I think they are really similar in design. However, I will say that Epic seems more closed in. You can be on multiple floors and never see the ocean- feels like it lacks windows….that may be my imagination, but it just feels like that. Getaway has TONS of outdoor bars and sitting areas.

My choice would be Getaway

The Epic bathrooms are the worst. IMO the rest of the ship is ok on the inside. Yep, ugly design on the outside. Not been on the Getaway, however have been on the Escape. If all were at the same port, Epic would be at the bottom of the list. For me, at the moment the Epic at Port Canaveral, 3 hours closer than Miami. :') I have to ask, do I want close, or better bathrooms.

I see you have decided. I have sailed both and like them; but I think I lean towards the Getaway. There is definitely more outdoor space on the Getaway than Epic. On the Epic, you can only walk around outside on Deck 7 then Deck 15 and outdoor space. I love the Waterfront on Getaway and look forward to checking it out on other ships. I would sail both again. I will say I have been in the Haven on both ships and the Haven on the Epic has more space and more bars.