Oosterdam or Nieuw Amsterdam and differences in SS categories?

Iamthesea

My husband and I are looking into one of the two ships for a December Caribbean cruise. Both itineraries are similar and we would probably only get off the ship in HMC. We would be taking a Celebrity cruise (Edge) the following week that also has a similar itinerary.

Which ship would be better...Oosterdam or Nieuw Amsterdam? Also, when looking at the Signature Suites online, the description says 273-456 sq. ft. including verandah. We have been on both classes of ships (Noordam and the Eurodam) and also stayed in a SS on the both. So I am confused how there can be differences in the sizes of the Suites. We like them for the larger are with two dressers, and the larger two sink/two shower bathrooms.

Finally, are there any specials that HAL is currently offering? Thank you!

What a coincidence. After further reading of this forum, I found two other similar threads asking about the differences in these two ships. They must both be popular. So after reading those threads, it seems a clear choice to pick the Nieuw Amsterdam. :)

Could someone please tell me the differences in the SS categories in size?

Thanks! Waiting to hear back from my TA. I need immediate help in choosing a SS stateroom on the N Amsterdam from the following available choices.

Thanks! Waiting to hear back from my TA. I need immediate help in choosing a SS stateroom on the N Amsterdam from the following available choices.

Personally, I would pick either 6080 or 6085, depending on which side of the ship I wanted to be on.

I like the mid-ship location of these cabins, plus they are very close to the mid-ship elevator/stairs (makes getting around the ship easier). I would avoid the 4 SS cabins that are right next to the mid-ship elevators, as people can look onto your balcony from these elevators (they are glass and extend out a bit from the ship).

Thank you for the quick response! :) That does seem to be a great location.

Any other opinions?

Of course! I always have an opinion!

You might look into two SY cabins - 6108 or 6113. They are a bit further aft (not a big issue IMO, but they are "angled" cabins, which generally have more room plus you can actually look forward from your balcony. Also, they should be a bit less expensive (SYs are vs SSs).

Haha...I was actually asking for the opinion of anyone else, but glad you responded again. :)

After reading your last post yesterday, my immediate thought was that there were no SY's available that were not HC accessible. At least that was the case upon my last look of stateroom availability. But I went ahead and checked again. Lo and behold, 7079 popped up as available!

I got in touch with my TA and changed my stateroom choice. Now upon further research, I am reading some reports of noise across the hall from a service area, lack of privacy on the balcony, wind, etc. Hope I didn't make a mistake! I did see some photos of this angled type of stateroom and do love the extra room, though.