Adriatic Cruise on the Oosterdam Summer 2018, Venice? Rome?

chaggers

Hi. I would like some help, please, on hotel recommendations in Venice and Rome for pre- and post- cruise.

Also, any feedback on shore excursions that are recommended vs ones that should be avoided? Any suggestions for the Oosterdam? (it's just off dry dock so any people been on recently?)

Itinerary:

Venice (board)

Split, Croatia

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Saranda, Albania

Katakoln, Greece

Chania, Greece

Mykonos Greece

Valletta, Malta (overnight)

Mgarr(Victoria), Gozo, Malta

Palermo, Sicily, Italy

Naples (Pompeii), Italy

Rome (disembark)

Thank you very much!

There are so many hotels to choose from in Rome depending on budget, interests, preferences, etc that I can only recommended extensive research on sites such as Trip Advisor. Once you've found a few that you would consider, you might try and ask about them again on this forum or the "Rome" forum on the Port of Call boards for more specifics.

For Venice, the one piece of advice I can offer is to definitely book a hotel on the Grand Canal. You will be told by several people that it is expensive and they will be right BUT if you have never been there and don't plan on going back, that is what Venice is all about and why people go to Venice. Do not miss the opportunity if it is within your budget.

Thank you Taxmantoo!

I see everything is expensive...but am thinking likely 4 stars and good/central location that will be well situated in both places. I appreciate the Venice tip! I'll take it!

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He covers about 2/3 of your ports. Does not include Sicily or Malta. If you are really serious about Venice, get a copy of Rick Steves' Venice. We did not do any organized tours in Venice. WE had read most of Donna Leon's mysteries and walked the city. One tour we did was a free tour to Murano from our hotel. We had to make our own way back, though. Not a problem once we found a place to buy the multi day vaporetto tickets. We also had his free audio tours downloaded to mp3 and listened to it as we traveled down the Grand Canal in a vaporetto. First time we stayed in the Hotel Bonvecchiati, one used by HAL in 2012. It was not far from St. Mark's. Next year I made my own arrangements at the Best Western Olimpia, just off Piazzale Roma. EM

If you don't mind walking into the heart of Venice, I strongly suggest staying by the Piazzale Roma. Easy airport bus and walking distance to the People Mover to board the ship. We loved it being a little quieter and less crowded. Stayed at a very reasonable little hotel on one of the side streets. It was great!

Last year, the Westerdam had some cruises that were very port intensive in the Adriatic. This year, not so much. The cruises in that area do not hit as many ports. Is there any word of future Adriatic cruises? Will 2020 see some heavy cruising there? It is a favorite area of ours.

If you have some money to drop then I would suggest this www dot danielihotelvenice dot com. My wife and I stayed there last November before a TA on the Pacific Princess. We are staying there this October before a TA on the Oosterdam. It's a beautiful hotel. (oh, and the Oosterdam should be much more pleasant than the Princess. We like HAL ships) We always fly over a few days in advance to get over jet lag and stumble about a bit.

Mike

Hi. Apologies if this was already addressed...what terminal will the Oosterdam be sailing out of? The hotel just asked me (and I had no idea!). Trying to arrange hotel to terminal transport for day of cruise. Thank you.

We stayed in The Dona Palace Hotel Excellant location, breakfast, garden area plus we rolled our bags to dock and took Blue Line.

AP Tours in Naples was good. We did the ACTV Grand Canal tour in a water Taxi. You will love Dubrovnik.

We stayed in The Dona Palace Hotel Excellant location, breakfast, garden area plus we rolled our bags to dock and took Blue Line.

AP Tours in Naples was good. We did the ACTV Grand Canal tour in a water Taxi. You will love Dubrovnik.

Thank you! I have now booked a hotel but they're asking what terminal the Oosterdam will be sailing out of. Do you happen to know? Or how can I find that out so I can try and make arrangements to get from the hotel to the ship? Thank you, in advance!

• 2 months later...

Our party of 4 are on board Oosterdam 4 August 2018 and have used 'crusingexcursions.com' for all our shore days, considerably cheaper & guarantee to return to ship on time. Also Hotel Regno in Rome, super handy to all tourist sights etc

Our party of 4 are on board Oosterdam 4 August 2018 and have used 'crusingexcursions.com' for all our shore days, considerably cheaper & guarantee to return to ship on time.

I hope you checked the reviews of that company before you booked. Good luck.