Civitavecchia to Rome, group of 11

VAtravelers100

I have seen the recommendations of private companies, and plan to use one of them to transfer from the ship to Rome. We are a group of 3 families, 6 adults and 5 children. Does anyone have a suggestion of a company that's likely to pick up right at the pier (no shuttle bus) that can accommodate a group of 11?

One of the families departs the next day, so we'll also have to figure out if we should include any touring as part of the transfer or just maximize our time in Rome. Open to any suggestions please!

thanks for the reply! I have already emailed that company in fact. One family flies out the day after the cruise arrives, so they are sure that they want a tour around Rome, to maximize their time there. The other two families have 5 nights in Rome, so it's not as necessary for their first day in Rome to be jam-packed. Trying to think through whether it makes sense to do touring that first day for that group or just get to the hotels.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Also, appreciate any tips on what to include if we do the touring option. They mentioned that the Vatican will be closed that day, so they recommended the Catacombs.

Sorry, feel like my post must have been worded unclearly. I'm emailing with Rome in Limo and Italy Tours EU about transfer from Civi to Rome hotels. Looks like we'll be in two vehicles to accommodate 11 people. We're leaning toward doing some touring within Rome included with the transfer, so the thing I need to do now is think about what we want included with that. If there are any suggestions of what might be best to do in Rome (not Vatican - that will be closed) as part of a van tour, that would be great!

Sorry, feel like my post must have been worded unclearly. I'm emailing with Rome in Limo and Italy Tours EU about transfer from Civi to Rome hotels. Looks like we'll be in two vehicles to accommodate 11 people. We're leaning toward doing some touring within Rome included with the transfer, so the thing I need to do now is think about what we want included with that. If there are any suggestions of what might be best to do in Rome (not Vatican - that will be closed) as part of a van tour, that would be great!

Assuming your hotel in Rome is centrally located, there's no need to retain a vehicle for touring -- better to just walk. The Vatican is further away, but as you pointed out it is closed. Only if you want to go somewhere outside the center first (e.g., to see the Appian way and perhaps visit one of the catacombs there) would I think it worthwhile.

Thank you for your thoughts. One possibility they named was a visit to the Catacombs. Would that likely be the same ones you're referring to? I wondered if there might be some benefit to traveling with a guide to the Colosseum or some other location for perks like skipping long lines or other things I don't know about. Our AirBnB is near the Pantheon, so great location. Part of my thinking is that check in isn't until 5 pm. Can probably store our luggage earlier, but wondered about the ease of just not arriving until later.

Thank you for your thoughts. One possibility they named was a visit to the Catacombs. Would that likely be the same ones you're referring to? I wondered if there might be some benefit to traveling with a guide to the Colosseum or some other location for perks like skipping long lines or other things I don't know about. Our AirBnB is near the Pantheon, so great location. Part of my thinking is that check in isn't until 5 pm. Can probably store our luggage earlier, but wondered about the ease of just not arriving until later.

With an outfit like Rome In Limo, there is no guide, just a driver. (Unless you pay an extra amount; not usually considered necessary for the Colosseum....). You can purchase your own tickets on line in advance and will get the same entry as you would if dropped off by RIL (in fact, RIL usually recommends you get your own tickets in advance.)

I still think you're better off leaving your bags and heading out on your own.

(And yes, it would be the same catacombs they are talking about.)

With an outfit like Rome In Limo, there is no guide, just a driver. (Unless you pay an extra amount; not usually considered necessary for the Colosseum....). You can purchase your own tickets on line in advance and will get the same entry as you would if dropped off by RIL (in fact, RIL usually recommends you get your own tickets in advance.)

I still think you're better off leaving your bags and heading out on your own.

(And yes, it would be the same catacombs they are talking about.)

Thanks so much - very helpful. We'll be in two vans. One van will have the family who wants to do a whirlwind day of touring before they flight out the next day. The other van will have the families who are staying 5 nights near the Pantheon. Part of the draw of touring is so that we spend a little more time together before parting ways. I may see if our van can do just the catacombs (or something else that would make sense) along with our friends' van before dropping us off and letting our friends' continue on. Just brainstorming and not sure if it makes sense.

I don't even know what time we'd likely arrive in Rome with just a direct transfer (ship arrives Civi 7 am). We'd be near the Pantheon, and our friends would be at Hotel St. Regis, which looks like a 25 min walk away, so a little difficult to coordinate after dropping luggage.