Online Payment in Non-US Currency

smileycin

t's important here is that the charge will be in USD. Your credit card company will convert that to CDN so that's no problem. Where the problem arises is that many credit cards also take on a 2.9% currency conversion fee. You don't see it as they just add it to the conversion and with many cards it's hard to even find out if you're being charged it! For my card with Scotiabank for example I had an agreement that referenced ANOTHER agreement to find it. So if you are being charged that extra amount you might want to look into a card that doesn't do that nonsense.

t's important here is that the charge will be in USD. Your credit card company will convert that to CDN so that's no problem. Where the problem arises is that many credit cards also take on a 2.9% currency conversion fee. You don't see it as they just add it to the conversion and with many cards it's hard to even find out if you're being charged it! For my card with Scotiabank for example I had an agreement that referenced ANOTHER agreement to find it. So if you are being charged that extra amount you might want to look into a card that doesn't do that nonsense.

Most Canadian have transaction fee built into the exchange rate. If you want to by in US Dollars , I’d get a US dollars credit card or account.

Most Canadian have transaction fee built into the exchange rate. If you want to by in US Dollars , I’d get a US dollars credit card or account.

There are a small handful that don't. The Amazon Visa used to but they're shutting that down. There's another one that I've applied for that claims to have no fee, I'll probably talk about that on my next podcast testing out if it's true or not.

We ask for the rate in USD and CDN at the time of booking. We found Carnival's exchange rate to be better than what we can buy USD for at the bank so we booked in Canadian.

Good advice - once you deposit your cruise, the price (converted at the current Carnival exchange rate) is locked in. You could be a winner or a loser if there's a big change in the dollar.

Downside to booking in non-USD is you can't do Early Saver. (if that's important)