Flam railroad - docking at 8am, are tickets for 8:35 ok?

pompeii

We are on the Pacific Princess (small ship about 600 passengers) docking in Flam on Sunday July 28. We are the only ship in port that day. We plan to take the train up and ride bikes back down, and would like to get as early a start as possible.

If we dock at 8am, are we okay with getting our train tickets for 8:35? The next one is 9:45. I know the safe answer is 9:45 but we want to have as much time as possible for the bike ride down so we would like to get going as early as feasible.

Thanks, Susan

We are on the Pacific Princess (small ship about 600 passengers) docking in Flam on Sunday July 28. We are the only ship in port that day. We plan to take the train up and ride bikes back down, and would like to get as early a start as possible.

If we dock at 8am, are we okay with getting our train tickets for 8:35? The next one is 9:45. I know the safe answer is 9:45 but we want to have as much time as possible for the bike ride down so we would like to get going as early as feasible.

Thanks, Susan

The key will be if you truly are permitted to leave the ship at 8am. The walking distance from the ship dock to the train station is a very quick 5 minutes or less. Unfortunately, you won't be able to control or predict the ship's actual "the gangway is open" time. However, I'd be willing to bet that the ship has excursions on that same train and will make it happen. Can you verify if the ship has a train excursion beginning that early too?

The key will be if you truly are permitted to leave the ship at 8am. The walking distance from the ship dock to the train station is a very quick 5 minutes or less. Unfortunately, you won't be able to control or predict the ship's actual "the gangway is open" time. However, I'd be willing to bet that the ship has excursions on that same train and will make it happen. Can you verify if the ship has a train excursion beginning that early too?

I did look at that because I also thought that could be an indication. One of the train excursions leaves at 8:35 and another later, I think 12:30 or so. So the ship must think 8:35 is doable.

My experience on the Pacific last month is that we were able to get off the ship on time at every port, sometimes even earlier than scheduled! Maybe it gets cleared more quickly because it is a small ship, but we were always off bright and early.

Have to agree with previous post - as long as the ship docks on time and you can get off, then you will have no problem in getting to the train. However, if you have to also buy tickets then you might be pushing it as you will probably not be the only ones wanting to do this.

Have to agree with previous post - as long as the ship docks on time and you can get off, then you will have no problem in getting to the train. However, if you have to also buy tickets then you might be pushing it as you will probably not be the only ones wanting to do this.

No, we're planning to buy tickets ahead of time in case they sell out, which is why I'm asking. I don't want to commit to a time that's too early.

I could just wait and purchase at the station that day (that way I wouldn't have to worry about the time because I would know which train I could make) but they might be sold out of the early trains. And we want to have plenty of time for the bike ride.

I agree with all. If ship on time and only ship should be ok. Note we had an interesting situation. We were on Queen Elizabeth and a big HAL ship was scheduled to dock and we were scheduled to tender. Our ship was early, HAL ship was late so they let our ship dock for a few minutes before leaving the dock to tender. However, our ship only allowed those on the ships excursion (train) to get off at dock. We booked on our own so we had to wait to tender. So we were a little late off the ship even though ship arrived Flam early. Ship claimed they only provided manifest names to port for booked excursion for docking. Others had to wait. I thought strange that we couldnt walk off. None of this will happen for you if you are only ship, but I would confirm. That is busy season. Have fun....