Viking Ocean cuise speciality dining question!

HHHawkeye

Does anyone know how to find out the rotation of nightly dining in the Chef's Table restaurant? On our Viking cruise the night we had reservations none of the 6 of us ate more than a few bites of anything. (3 couples from 3 different countries). We all left and hoped to find a place to eat still open. :( We agreed none of us are picky eaters! I hate to waste food!

We have a group of 4 sailing the Med March 8th, I'm reluctant to reserve a table there. I've called Viking with no response to message.

If any one knows the answer, Please respond! Thank you Sue

We checked at the desk of Manfredi's immediately after boarding the Sea on the first day of our Viking Homelands cruise, because someone was there! They showed us the menus for Chef's Table and the rotation, and helped us move our reservation to the night that looked most appealing. They have the information on all of the computers at the entrances to the various restaurants - if you can find one that is staffed and not crowded, we found that they usually are glad to help, even if it's not at the Chef's Table entrance specifically. Someone else may recall if the info is also on your room TV - I know your reservations are displayed there, but I can't recall if the menus were. I'm jealous that you are going in March - we are booked on the Mediterranean Odyssey May 2019 and it seems so long to wait! Have a great trip!

Does anyone know how to find out the rotation of nightly dining in the Chef's Table restaurant? On our Viking cruise the night we had reservations none of the 6 of us ate more than a few bites of anything. (3 couples from 3 different countries). We all left and hoped to find a place to eat still open. :( We agreed none of us are picky eaters! I hate to waste food!

We have a group of 4 sailing the Med March 8th, I'm reluctant to reserve a table there. I've called Viking with no response to message.

The menus are not published in advance so there is no way of choosing which night to reserve in advance based on the menu. However, you should be able to change your reservation once you board and can see what is being offered.

CT menus are usually changed every third night, however I noticed that on the one week itinerary we are currently doing, they are changing every other night.

Before we went on our first Viking Ocean cruise, we were so very keen on booking with their speciality restaurants, and were concerned about the rotation menus at Chef's Table, etc.

We realise food tastes are subjective, we found that their other non-speciality restaurants, The Restaurant, World Café, Mamsens, WinterGarden, have food offerings that are more satisfying than the speciality restaurants. In fact, we were extremely disappointed with Chef's Table - some "foamy" dishes, and one seafood dish with spices on cubes of fish that tasted as if they have dosed it with cheap perfume which was not at all nice. Are those dishes the kind of "fad" cuisine which we were supposed to "enjoy"? Enjoy we did not. We were so disappointed with Chef's Table , that that we had another 2 reservations for that restaurant left and we cancelled both of them!

Manfredi is definitely a much better specialty restaurant in our view. We are also very satisfied with The Restaurant (service could be a bit slow, but if you wish to quicken it, just tell the waiter, he would oblige, no problem) , the World Café and not forgetting Mamsen's (oh, those Princess Cake and Success Cakes, so delicious, so memorable!) . And what is great about that, is there is no need for any reservations to worry about. You just show up.

For us, Viking is rather curious, generally, their cuisine is good, some dishes were excellent, but it was more the cuisine of their non-speciality restaurants that shone, not their speciality restaurants. On other cruise lines, it is often the other way around.

In any future cruises with Viking, we would not be too bothered with booking with their speciality restaurants, and definitely not want to go to Chef's Table. We just wish Viking will in future change the Chef's Table with some other speciality restaurant with a better menu

(To be fair, we had one passenger who told us that he enjoyed his food at Chef's Table - but then, we discovered soon after that he has lost his sense of smell when he was young !)

Edited by Cahpek

Chef's Table is a matter of taste. Loved their Asian menu. I'm neither a foodie nor a picky eater.

It was a welcome change from the other restaurants. If you're there and decide you don't like the menu after all, a short trip up to the excellent World Cafe buffet solves any minor problem. Viking Ocean has the BEST varied dining options.

Manfredis is outstanding.