Escaping to Bermuda - June 2018 Trip Report!

tatibus0913

Great review. We are also going on the Escape to Bermuda in August. I was wondering what kind of camera you were using to take such great pictures.

Thanks! Most of them were taken with my iPhone 8 Plus. The underwater and beach ones were taken with a Fujifilm XP130. We just bought it to replace our old underwater camera and we really liked it!

NYC TAXI TIP

Go to the upper level (where you embark, not the lower level where you go to the street)

Exit the terminal and go to the left.....there are taxis there.

Since nobody knows about this, almost nobody is there.

The taxi rank is on the other side of the street you exit onto - walk on the zebra crossing to the other side.

Thanks! Most of them were taken with my iPhone 8 Plus. The underwater and beach ones were taken with a Fujifilm XP130. We just bought it to replace our old underwater camera and we really liked it!

Same camera here......bought specifically for the cruise, great camera for the $$

Is the mojito bar covered with the unlimited drink plan?

Yep! The only thing not covered is the flight of mojitos and the mojito tastings, which there are usually one or two of per cruise. But individual mojitos are all covered. And last time I was on the Escape, the bartenders at the mojito bar mixed up a bunch of specialty shots and just handed them out for everyone to try as well.

NYC TAXI TIP

Go to the upper level (where you embark, not the lower level where you go to the street)

Exit the terminal and go to the left.....there are taxis there.

Since nobody knows about this, almost nobody is there.

The taxi rank is on the other side of the street you exit onto - walk on the zebra crossing to the other side.

I did see the sign that there were also taxis were on the second level, but the elevator was crazy so we just crossed the street.

Is the mojito bar covered with the unlimited drink plan?

Yep! The only thing not covered is the flight of mojitos and the mojito tastings, which there are usually one or two of per cruise. But individual mojitos are all covered. And last time I was on the Escape, the bartenders at the mojito bar mixed up a bunch of specialty shots and just handed them out for everyone to try as well.

I believe you get some type of discount if you order a mojito flight and have the UBP. We just ordered individual drinks and tried different ones. I loved the raspberry guava and ginger ones!

Same camera here......bought specifically for the cruise, great camera for the $$

It's a great little camera! I only wish it a little quicker to switch between underwater mode and auto mode, so if you know any tricks for this, let me know!

Thanks for sharing your review. I really enjoyed reading about Bermuda. :)

Heather

Thanks so much for such a great review and photos. We are going in October and can't wait. Enjoyed reading all your posts and seeing your photos.

Thanks so much for reading!

Regarding the Meet and Greet provided by NCL, was there anything else served besides flights of beer and appetizers? I don't drink beer. Thanks!

The only drinks that were being passed by the staff were the different beers. I'm not sure if anyone went up to the bar for something different, but you probably could. Or you could always bring a drink in, just in case! :)

Great review and pics. When you took the minibus to Horseshoe bay was it $7 pp roundtrip? Or you had to pay $7 to return back to the dockyard?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Forums mobile app

Thanks! It was $7.00 per person, each way. It was super convenient. If you have a big group though, it might work out to be cheaper to take a taxi, which I believe is about $35 total, each way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We got to Times Square, and it was packed! It was a gorgeous day and everyone was out and about.

enhance

enhance

enhance

After a little while, we decided to take a break since it was hot and we were tired. A quick google search of “outdoor bars in NYC” led us to the Perfect Pint, which had a rooftop bar. We decided to go there and check it out. There’s two floors of dining and then the rooftop bar. There was a ton of stairs, but we made it to the top and were able to get seats at bar and watch the soccer game for a bit.

enhance

enhance

enhance

After a couple of beers, we decided to go back to the hotel to change since we had a dinner reservation and show that evening.

Loving this review! Thank you!

DH and I just booked our first cruise out of New York City. I'm taking note of good eating establishments based on cruise critic reviews...

And I know DH--being a Guinness fan--will loveThe Perfect Pint!

Been living in NYC for 29 years. Regarding taxis, here’s a tip: Do not ever tell the driver where you’re going until you’re in the cab. Tourists are basically the only ones I’ve seen lean in to the driver window to tell their destination. If the driver doesn’t want to go there they drive off. If you’re seated and the doors are closed, they have no choice.

On the same note, if the door is locked and the driver insists upon knowing your destination, find another cab. I generally go full on New Yorker on them when they pull that b.s. and don’t bother getting in the car. I live in Queens and drives aren’t too fond of the long trek to my apartment. I never tell them until I’m in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our room was on deck 15, which was one deck below the pool deck. Originally, we booked a balcony room and then received the upgrade email. We put in a bid for a mini-suite, and a few days before the cruise, we were notified that we were upgraded a spa mini-suite!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

It was a great a room for us. It felt really spacious and we were both able to get ready at the same time. There was tons of storage all around the room. The balcony was small but we used it every day to sit outside. We also had access to the thermal spa, but I’ll touch more on that later. Oh and I can’t forget the door magnet I ordered from Etsy!

enhance

thanks for the report and absolutely loving the magnet!!!

Been living in NYC for 29 years. Regarding taxis, here’s a tip: Do not ever tell the driver where you’re going until you’re in the cab. Tourists are basically the only ones I’ve seen lean in to the driver window to tell their destination. If the driver doesn’t want to go there they drive off. If you’re seated and the doors are closed, they have no choice.

On the same note, if the door is locked and the driver insists upon knowing your destination, find another cab. I generally go full on New Yorker on them when they pull that b.s. and don’t bother getting in the car. I live in Queens and drives aren’t too fond of the long trek to my apartment. I never tell them until I’m in the car.

Excellent advice! Thank you!

Loving this review! Thank you!

DH and I just booked our first cruise out of New York City. I'm taking note of good eating establishments based on cruise critic reviews...

And I know DH--being a Guinness fan--will loveThe Perfect Pint!

It was a great spot! We didn't eat there but had fun drinking :D

Good advice and definitely something that we wished we knew in advance!