Guarantee

a.madruga

My wife and I are traveling on Holland's Konigsdam January 14, ten days. We bought a B cat guarantee, and WILL BE QUITE OKAY WITH a B cabin. That being said, we'll be THRILLED, but NOT COUNTING on an upgrade. As we've checked over the last few months, the only availability was B GUAR, A had eight cabins, and AS had GUAR (that was as of about two days ago). When I checked earlier today, there was B GUAR and AS GUAR. As of now, there is no B, no A, no AS availability, even GUAR.

Just curious if anyone in the know might guess if this means they're pulling those cabins to make assignments (seems early this far out), or if maybe someone came in and snatched up the eight A cabins.

Again, I know it's all top secret, I'm just too inquisitive not to wonder out loud.....

My wife and I are traveling on Holland's Konigsdam January 14, ten days. We bought a B cat guarantee, and WILL BE QUITE OKAY WITH a B cabin. That being said, we'll be THRILLED, but NOT COUNTING on an upgrade. As we've checked over the last few months, the only availability was B GUAR, A had eight cabins, and AS had GUAR (that was as of about two days ago). When I checked earlier today, there was B GUAR and AS GUAR. As of now, there is no B, no A, no AS availability, even GUAR.

Just curious if anyone in the know might guess if this means they're pulling those cabins to make assignments (seems early this far out), or if maybe someone came in and snatched up the eight A cabins.

Again, I know it's all top secret, I'm just too inquisitive not to wonder out loud.....

My understanding is that they show all available cabins so to give those wanting a non-guarantee to select their location/specific choice. Once they hit the number of cabins remaining and guarantees booked, then they become unavailable. So for your example, there were probably 7 people with guarantees booked, and 8 cabins showing. Someone booked one cabin, and then there were 7 cabins left of that category and 7 ppl with gaur bookings, so now they are all showing as unavailable.

Im no expert, but that process was explained to me and makes sense. Good luck with a great cabin!

My understanding is that they show all available cabins so to give those wanting a non-guarantee to select their location/specific choice. Once they hit the number of cabins remaining and guarantees booked, then they become unavailable. So for your example, there were probably 7 people with guarantees booked, and 8 cabins showing. Someone booked one cabin, and then there were 7 cabins left of that category and 7 ppl with gaur bookings, so now they are all showing as unavailable.

Im no expert, but that process was explained to me and makes sense. Good luck with a great cabin!

Sounds plausible to me. Thanks.

Great explanation and it makes sense.

One negative thing to guarantees is that they are generally not assigned until after the upsell process is completed. This results in upsell people often scooping up the better cabins in a category, before the guarantees get a chance at them. Result is that people who end up paying significantly less than the guarantee people get a better choice of cabins.

They will not. For the foreseeable future the only HAL ship that would use the new locks is the Koningsdam because it will not fit in the originals.
Let me re-phrase that before somebody nit-picks it: for the immediate future no HAL ships other than the Pinnacle class will use the new larger locks. Edited by catl331

Great explanation and it makes sense.

One negative thing to guarantees is that they are generally not assigned until after the upsell process is completed. This results in upsell people often scooping up the better cabins in a category, before the guarantees get a chance at them. Result is that people who end up paying significantly less than the guarantee people get a better choice of cabins.

Not sure I understand your last sentence. I assume "guarantee people" pay the least and that "upsell people" pay more (guarantee price + upsell cost). So who is paying less than guarantee people?

No idea re the locks..... but all I can say re the guarantee is this is 4th time we have done a guarantee on HAL.... and on each occasion the notification has been at different times.

We took a SB guarantee (Neptune Suite) and upgraded to SA....

This has happened twice....

Once we took a Vista and booked the category below top and again upgraded by one... and once booked SC and got SC....

Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason .... as we are not prolific cruisers on HAL...

But we take the gamble on a room that we would be happy with and if it works great....

Must say we were surprised to be notified just under a month out....

Happy Thanksgiving to you folks across the Pond!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure I understand your last sentence. I assume "guarantee people" pay the least and that "upsell people" pay more (guarantee price + upsell cost). So who is paying less than guarantee people?

Someone with a completely different category who takes an upsell offer - so if you are in a balcony and get a very good (inexpensive) upsell offer for a neptune suite you could potentially be paying far less than someone who booked a guarantee neptune who wouldn't get an upsell offer to a neptune, since that is what they have booked. When offered the upsell they also get to select their cabin (location). Where as a guarantee booking doesn't select their cabin, they are assigned after the upsells are sold.

It's a good idea to check the availability of your guarantee class often. We were in a guarantee for a SA Neptune suite sailing out of FLL on April 18, 2018. I checked HAL's website this morning and saw a very nice SA had become available fairly close to the Neptune Lounge. My TA was able to obtain it for us and we now have a very nice assigned cabin number.:D

I'm on the Niew Amsterdam on the 12/2 five day cruise. Originally booked balcony and noticed the price went down about $40 pp. Called my PCC and was able to upgrade to guarantee SY Signature suite for $37 more pp. was assigned my room about 10 days before. Have been getting upgrade offers for Neptune by email. Started at $299 pp, then, $249, then $199 and now today $99. If this was a longer cruise I would take it, but for 5 days I'm happy with my SS I was assigned. This will be our first suite, we usually book balcony rooms. After I got the last up sell offer I looked and all suites were sold out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a good idea to check the availability of your guarantee class often. We were in a guarantee for a SA Neptune suite sailing out of FLL on April 18, 2018. I checked HAL's website this morning and saw a very nice SA had become available fairly close to the Neptune Lounge. My TA was able to obtain it for us and we now have a very nice assigned cabin number.:D

Good job in keeping up with the cabin inventory and getting a good cabin. I have done this before and was glad I put the extra effort into it. You do have to move quickly though, as these good cabins go fast!

• 3 weeks later...

We're on Konigsdam Jan 14, in a B GTY. They only show availability in A as of yesterday. We did get a ridiculous upset a earlier this week, which we passed on. Others, who booked months before us, got their assignment in an AS, from B GTY - yesterday. This is one of the 'fun' things for me is the game of what cabin we'll get, and when we'll get it!

two weeks out sold out nothing yet maybe good?
In my experience, being sold out doesn't change when assignments are done. We were once on a cruise that was sold out two months prior to sailing and we still got our assignment 10 or 11 days out. But when we got it we went from an HH bottom OV to a C top OV.

So, crazy question, but we got our second call today offering us to purchase an upgrade.... and my wife asked 'can you negotiate with Holland?' We're booked in a B GTY and they offered us an upsell to Signature Suite or Neptune Suite ($999/each or $1249/each).

• 2 weeks later...
So, crazy question, but we got our second call today offering us to purchase an upgrade.... and my wife asked 'can you negotiate with Holland?' We're booked in a B GTY and they offered us an upsell to Signature Suite or Neptune Suite ($999/each or $1249/each).

not worth it IMO spend that money on the hydro pool/thermal suites. good luck