Wifi on Carnival Vista - worth buying a package?

kjpfmm

We are cruising on the Vista in January and I've read many reviews about the wifi not being very good. I just want to be able to keep in touch with my family at home.

If you purchased a package, what was your experience with the wifi? I was thinking of just doing the value package but wasn't sure if anyone had better luck with the more expensive ones.

Thanks!

We are cruising on the Vista in January and I've read many reviews about the wifi not being very good. I just want to be able to keep in touch with my family at home.

If you purchased a package, what was your experience with the wifi? I was thinking of just doing the value package but wasn't sure if anyone had better luck with the more expensive ones.

Thanks!

Can't answer for Carnival. I have found WiFi/Internet good enough for email. Fater than dial up but lslower than most high speeds.

The social plan is very economical and I think worth the risk of slow internet to keep in touch with social media if that's your thing. We used to manage just fine for a week without any internet and you still can if you are strategic. If you stop in an American port (San Juan, St. Thomas, Alaska) then your carrier may treat you as in network and you can email all you want. If you take an excursion to a beach usually there will be wifi available. Also, you can just look for all the ships crew parked outside of Margaritaville or similar with their laptops & devices and enjoy "free internet" as they do in ports. So, I think it comes down to how "in touch" you need to be and what you are willing to spend.

Social plan worked very well. Needed it for what’s app and had zero issues. Pre-buy before you sail and it’s around 20% less expensive than buying it when onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did the social plan work for FB phone calls and FB messenger there? Thanks

The social plan is very economical and I think worth the risk of slow internet to keep in touch with social media if that's your thing. We used to manage just fine for a week without any internet and you still can if you are strategic. If you stop in an American port (San Juan, St. Thomas, Alaska) then your carrier may treat you as in network and you can email all you want. If you take an excursion to a beach usually there will be wifi available. Also, you can just look for all the ships crew parked outside of Margaritaville or similar with their laptops & devices and enjoy "free internet" as they do in ports. So, I think it comes down to how "in touch" you need to be and what you are willing to spend.

Yup, this is what we always get. Very reasonable, although slow at times if you're uploading pics. Only one in the cabin needs to purchase, but only one can be logged in at a time.

I didn’t try a FB phone call but it does work with Messenger. That’s how I kept in touch with my family back at the house.

Thanks! That’s what I need it for, to stay in touch with my sons and grandsons. I do most of my posting late at night after I have turned in for the night. It should probably be less people using it then.

• 1 month later...