Star Gazing on Westerdam

MSBerliner

We recall being stunned by the night sky during our Atlantic crossing many, many years ago (our student days). Can you please tell us where the best place on ship (Westerdam) is to see the stars after darkness has fallen. Sailing to Alaska the end of August. Many thanks.

Lots of light pollution on a cruise ship. We found our completely darkened balcony late late at night to be the best location. (But in Alaska, I don't know how much darkness you will have at that time of year. ) Our neighbors also happened to turn out the balcony lights as well which helped. Husband brought his smallest portable telescope on Westerdam several years ago (S. Caribbean cruise) but it is pretty tough to use due to ship movement. He actually found his very good binoculars to be far more helpful. I'd have to ask him about the specs and what he was able to observe.

Sit out in the dark for a long long while and let your eyes adjust. It is amazing how sensitive your naked eye gets when you give it time to adjust to low light.

:)Dh has done amateur astronomy for years, even carted telescopes to the Grand Canyon. Cumbersome but the skies there and all over northern AZ are amazing.

Deck 11 -- up front above the Crow's Nest.
Even there you're liable to have a lit string of lights that run from the smokestacks to a mast above the CN, then down to the point of the bow, ruining the star viewing.

On the Maasdam two years ago, on a late-in-the-season Alaska cruise, the Northern Lights were out and whoever was in charge of the bridge at that time (late night) did dim the lights back at the seaview pool for interested passengers. There was actually an officer out there showing folks where to look for them. (That is second-hand information, because although my sister and our friend tried valiantly to wake me up to go see the lights, I remained soundly asleep, ack:o)