Onboard Fun Shop Liquor Prices

tchelle73

So, you are limited to two bottles per person? I had no idea. My DH and i had 12 bottles and didn't hide them, they were in the carted boxes with handle and we walked right through customs. We were not asked about them at all. I didn't know about the limit. We were planning to stock up again on our January cruise. I thought they would say something when we purchased them at the shop onboard to be sure we don't go over the limit.

The limit changes per port visited, I have had cruises where you can bring back 2 bottles per person and other where you can bring back 6 per person.

This thread is a few days old, don't know if OP will return or not but... I do have the price sheet given to us on the Miracle last week. It's kind of a poor photocopy. Is there a specific liquor you want me to look up? Or, if somebody can tell me the best place to upload pic, I'll post it here. Or happy to email. Also, as somebody else mentioned, they have lots of specials that probably aren't reflected on the price sheet.

~Denise

Grey Goose!!! prices please

First off MDSGU this is not a shot at you, it's a general shot at tax evaders. I let this go for a couple days to see if there would be outrage but this just shows how out of touch some value systems are on this site. So many people on this forum get fired up about people smuggling booze or sharing drink packages or skipping muster drill yet when a person openly says that he or she didn't pay tax on liquor it's crickets. I don't like paying taxes and like our President, take great pride in not paying a penny more than I am required, but I PAY WHAT IS REQUIRED because dang it, the military, roads, prisons and teachers cost money and even if I don't totally agree with how all of it is spent, its my duty as a citizen of this great country.

Get your priorities straight and either keep your mouth shut when people skirt the rules (probably the best decision) or start complaining about rules that affect everyone not just some corporate conglomerate of money. I know corporations are people too but the government is for the people and by the people and we all have to do our part.

If anyone is going to get upset with anyone it should be with the CBP officer in the story that didn't do his job. I cringe when I think about the amount of money that goes uncollected in such circumstances, but CBP doesn't assess all the duty that it can in under the auspices of efficiency and keeping the lines moving.

Doesn't everyone have to go through customs on debarkation? We never got a note from anyone.

If you purchase through the Fun Shops over the allowed limit, you get a 'special' note, saying your purchase is documented, and to meet with the customs agent to pay the required taxes.

If you purchase through the Fun Shops over the allowed limit, you get a 'special' note, saying your purchase is documented, and to meet with the customs agent to pay the required taxes.

Is this new? I have NEVER had this problem.

If anyone is going to get upset with anyone it should be with the CBP officer in the story that didn't do his job. I cringe when I think about the amount of money that goes uncollected in such circumstances, but CBP doesn't assess all the duty that it can in under the auspices of efficiency and keeping the lines moving.

Cannot disagree with the statement! I always make a comment about how they don't check anything, blows my mind. What's a country if you don't have borders?

This thread is a few days old, don't know if OP will return or not but... I do have the price sheet given to us on the Miracle last week. It's kind of a poor photocopy. Is there a specific liquor you want me to look up? Or, if somebody can tell me the best place to upload pic, I'll post it here. Or happy to email. Also, as somebody else mentioned, they have lots of specials that probably aren't reflected on the price sheet.

~Denise

Denise,

Did they show prices for Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire? Also, I buy the Sheridan Coffee Layered Liqueur to bring back for my mom. Usually they will run a special on that one night, sometimes it is cheaper in port.

Thanks!

Cannot disagree with the statement! I always make a comment about how they don't check anything, blows my mind. What's a country if you don't have borders?

They do check every passenger's info, I have no issues with them doing that part of their job. But I've spoken to many CBP officers over the years and the time an effort it takes to collect small amounts of duty can be counter productive (and I kind of see the point, if they had to collect $5 from every passenger, including the time it takes to fill out the paperwork, it would take forever to disembark). Of course the easy answer is to change the duty free allowance, but as I understand it that takes an act of Congress and what are the chances of them agreeing on anything?:D

They do check every passenger's info, I have no issues with them doing that part of their job. But I've spoken to many CBP officers over the years and the time an effort it takes to collect small amounts of duty can be counter productive (and I kind of see the point, if they had to collect $5 from every passenger, including the time it takes to fill out the paperwork, it would take forever to disembark). Of course the easy answer is to change the duty free allowance, but as I understand it that takes an act of Congress and what are the chances of them agreeing on anything?:D

Like I said, I hate taxes but if they are supposed to be paid then I'm going to pay them. As taxes go though, "sin taxes" aren't really such a bad thing as it makes it more expensive for people to have vices. Wish they would tax fast food and sugary drinks.

If Congress really wanted to help an the cruise industry they'd do something about those dang muster drills!

Grey Goose!!! prices please

From Carnival price sheet dated 9/30/2017:

Grey Goose Original Vodka 1L $35.99

Promotion 2 for $60, 4 for $99

They also had a lot of flavored Grey Goose at those same prices. There was also a Grey Goose VX 1L for $71.99.

~Denise

P.S. I also have a price sheet from Norwegian, just off an October cruise there. They list the Grey Goose for $33.50.

Edited by Sundiego

Denise,

Did they show prices for Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire? Also, I buy the Sheridan Coffee Layered Liqueur to bring back for my mom. Usually they will run a special on that one night, sometimes it is cheaper in port.

Thanks!

Jack Daniels Fire 1L $27.99

2 for $40 or 4 for $75

Sorry, don't see Sheridan's on the price sheet. They probably had the usual promos but since we were flying, not driving, I didn't pay too much attention.

~Denise

P.S. I also have a price sheet from Norwegian, just off an October cruise there. They have Sheridan's listed for the 1 litre $26.99 or 2 for $43. And their Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire is $30.99 for save 15% if you buy 2.

Edited by Sundiego

Usually someone will stick a note explaining where you will have to go for customs ,this will be under your door or mail box the morning of debarkation. If you don't receive one , skip to my Lo.

Now they have a special sound programmed when you try to disembark and you need to go through customs.

Its not the usual "OH SHOOT I didnt pay my SAIL & SIGN BILL" sound, its more of a "YOU'RE a WINNER" sound.

My BF bought some jewelry from EFFY on the ship, and it exceed the allowance approved by customs. We were giggling about the ""OH SHOOT I didnt pay my SAIL & SIGN BILL" sound that you can hear while disembarking "ding, ding, .... ding, ding, ..... HONK!!!!!!! = OH SHOOT I didnt pay my SAIL & SIGN BILL" sound. He put his sail & sign card in the machine and got the "dooo dooo ding ding = YOU'RE A WINNER" sound -- it was the FIRST time I have ever heard this sound.

The only thing we buy from the liquor store on board is a couple of bottles of Sheridan, since they don't sell it at home. It was always the same price in port as on the ship when I remembered to look.

This is the only liquor I buy too on the ship. I think it was 2/40.00 in October. Bought 4.

Carnival will DEFINITELY tell on you. We bought some jewelry onboard twice. The first time, it exceeded our allowance and Carnival made sure that Customs knew about it so we could be taxed. The second time, it did not exceed our allowance, but they still told on us. Customs, after looking at our receipts, just rolled their eyes and waved us through.

Lesson: buy jewelry from port-based, reputable, retailers!

Jack Daniels Fire 1L $27.99

2 for $40 or 4 for $75

Sorry, don't see Sheridan's on the price sheet. They probably had the usual promos but since we were flying, not driving, I didn't pay too much attention.

~Denise

P.S. I also have a price sheet from Norwegian, just off an October cruise there. They have Sheridan's listed for the 1 litre $26.99 or 2 for $43. And their Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire is $30.99 for save 15% if you buy 2.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!

This is the only liquor I buy too on the ship. I think it was 2/40.00 in October. Bought 4.

Thank you. I think a few years ago I bought two bottles for $38, so that is about what I expected!

• 1 month later...

~Denise

if it's not a problem will you please post the list here?

Like I said, I hate taxes but if they are supposed to be paid then I'm going to pay them. As taxes go though, "sin taxes" aren't really such a bad thing as it makes it more expensive for people to have vices. Wish they would tax fast food and sugary drinks.

If Congress really wanted to help an the cruise industry they'd do something about those dang muster drills!

I can see both sides of the issue, taxes over the allowance should be paid, but the cost to collect the small amount of tax on a few extra bottles of booze likely exceeds the tax revenue. The poster who suggested that congress actually do something and make the exemptions more realistic (They should easily be able to determine a break even point at the minimum cost of administering the tax vs value to be taxed) and then enforce the law was spot on.

The sugary drinks tax in Philadelphia is a huge issue. The twofold purpose, to raise money for early childhood education and to reduce consumption of sugary drinks is actually working. The soda companies started PACs to fight it when it was being debated and are funding them even more to try to pressure the City Council to overturn it. They are also aggressively lobbying the State Legislature in an attempt to outlaw any such tax by municipalities in the Commonwealth. So it is a major deal and not as simple as it sounds!

As to the Muster Drills, there is not a damned thing Congress can do about them. They are mandated by SOLAS and the cruise ships are all Non- US Flagged. These take place no matter where ships home port.