Carnival Splendor Mexican 7 night cruise shore excursions?

savannahcat

Hi,

First time cruiser with Carnival cruised once before Alaska with Princess, met a few people onboard Princess that stated Carnival was better value?

My question is I have not booked any excursions yet for Cabo, Mazatalan and Puerto Vallarta as unsure if better to wait till we get in to port? We would like to chill out on comfy loungers on beach or maybe do a day pass to a beach resort not sure which is the best option, I was hoping to go whale watching but think it is too late in the season, any suggestions most welcome, we like wildlife and beaches with good selection of places to eat and drink with comfortable lounges.

Hi,

We don't do beach resorts but I think that you need to book them before you arrive and not when you just walk off the ship. We have done this itinerary many times.

In Puerto Vallarta you can get off the ship and go out of the port area and walk down the block to the gas station and get a taxi to the malecon(boardwalk)

You can walk there and go over the bridge to Playa de los Muertos where you'll find little restaurants with loungers on the sand.

There are also excursions that many folks enjoy but you can find them on the Carnival web site or on the Mexican Riviera ports of call board on this site.

In Mazatlan you can walk off the ship and go to the water taxi for Stone Island where you'll find activities and loungers at the beach.

Look on the Mexican Riviera board. Lots of info over there. Whale season is typically October thru March, more or less.

In Cabo, head to Medano Beach.

Typically, Carnival stays longer in ports. Two weeks ago we were in PV on the Miracle 8-7:30. The Emerald was with us from about 10-5. Carnival pax were able to see Rhythms of the Night.

We prefer Carnival but will sail Princess on the longer MR Sea of Cortez cruises.

My recommendations:

Cabo- We've been several time, but the best time was at ME Cabo Resort. Sometimes they charge for a day pass, but we were able to spend the day there for free since it was the off season. Awesome swim up bar, cabana beds, beach access, great food, no vendors bugging you to buy stuff every 10 seconds, etc

Puerto Vallarta- We did the dune buggy tour that stopped for a tequila tasting, lunch in the jungle, and swimming where they filmed the Predator movie. Beautiful and fun! (We booked through a private vendor, but I can't recall the name right now).

Hi,

First time cruiser with Carnival cruised once before Alaska with Princess, met a few people onboard Princess that stated Carnival was better value?

My question is I have not booked any excursions yet for Cabo, Mazatalan and Puerto Vallarta as unsure if better to wait till we get in to port? We would like to chill out on comfy loungers on beach or maybe do a day pass to a beach resort not sure which is the best option, I was hoping to go whale watching but think it is too late in the season, any suggestions most welcome, we like wildlife and beaches with good selection of places to eat and drink with comfortable lounges.

5 years ago We did the Chileno Bay Snorkeling...It was AWESOME!

• 2 weeks later...
My recommendations:

Cabo- We've been several time, but the best time was at ME Cabo Resort. Sometimes they charge for a day pass, but we were able to spend the day there for free since it was the off season. Awesome swim up bar, cabana beds, beach access, great food, no vendors bugging you to buy stuff every 10 seconds, etc

Puerto Vallarta- We did the dune buggy tour that stopped for a tequila tasting, lunch in the jungle, and swimming where they filmed the Predator movie. Beautiful and fun! (We booked through a private vendor, but I can't recall the name right now).

We went to Melia Me with this day pass and we loved it too https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/cabo-resort-beach-break-day-pass/

For Mazatlan I recommend taking the Carnival excursion to El Cid that's all inclusive. The resort is fantastic but on top of that you might be able to score some parasailing on the beach for $40.

Best $40 I've ever spent.

[YOUTUBE]b8605mhbJ54[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

We don't do beach resorts but I think that you need to book them before you arrive and not when you just walk off the ship. We have done this itinerary many times.

In Puerto Vallarta you can get off the ship and go out of the port area and walk down the block to the gas station and get a taxi to the malecon(boardwalk)

You can walk there and go over the bridge to Playa de los Muertos where you'll find little restaurants with loungers on the sand.

There are also excursions that many folks enjoy but you can find them on the Carnival web site or on the Mexican Riviera ports of call board on this site.

In Mazatlan you can walk off the ship and go to the water taxi for Stone Island where you'll find activities and loungers at the beach.

My friend and I would like to see the Malecon area. Can you recall how much of a walk it is from the ship to the gas station to get a taxi. I am 76 and my friend is 81. W are mobile but get tired quickly. I understand that we would be able to sit, stroll, sit, stroll along the boardwalk in that area so it sounds like it would work for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know how strict they are on the minimum age limit for the Las Caletas excursion? I'm confused because on the Vallerta Excursions page there is no minimum age limit for the same excursion but I understand that we can't book through them due to the exclusive agreement they have with cruise lines. My granddaughter is 2 and I would love to take her on that excursion rather than having her stay on the ship while in port. Any guidance would be much appreciated since I'm a first time cruiser.

That wasn't my question though.

My question is does anyone know how much of a walk it is from the SHIP to the spot where the taxis are?

Measured it on Google maps and its about 920 feet. 0.17 miles. Very short stroll. There are Taxi's right outside the embarkation area, but they are more expensive.

Hi,

Hotel Hyatt Ziva in PV - $65/pp for the day all inclusive resort absolutely beautiful resort, with fantastic pools and gorgeous beach

Cobo - the Office for lunch take the boat shuttle right from the dock on the beach food was great

Matzalan - El CID through the ship

That wasn't my question though.

My question is does anyone know how much of a walk it is from the SHIP to the spot where the taxis are?

It’ll depend which dock you’re at. There was construction going on in November. At the North dock it looked like your only close-ish choice is the taxis at the pier. The gas station is about 1/4 mile (to the right, diagonally from Walmart). You will pass the busstop and cross the port street.

If you’re docked at the South port (has a permanent Flea Market and a round building) I’d say its about 1/8 mile. It’s on concrete and can be hot.

Once on the Malecon, there’ll be lots of places to sit. Taxi back is about $8-$10US.

It’ll depend which dock you’re at. There was construction going on in November. At the North dock it looked like your only close-ish choice is the taxis at the pier. The gas station is about 1/4 mile (to the right, diagonally from Walmart). You will pass the busstop and cross the port street.

If you’re docked at the South port (has a permanent Flea Market and a round building) I’d say its about 1/8 mile. It’s on concrete and can be hot.

Once on the Malecon, there’ll be lots of places to sit. Taxi back is about $8-$10US.

Adding on....

The fare isn’t too horrendous for two pax from port to the Malecon. Just take the white taxi.

On the way back, there are usually taxis near the lighthouse on the north side of the Malecon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This answer is quite different from the answer from the person who looked it up on google. I did not realize there were different docks so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what we think when we're there. Thanks.

This answer is quite different from the answer from the person who looked it up on google. I did not realize there were different docks so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what we think when we're there. Thanks.

There are three docks, forming an ‘U’. And I am not a good judge of distance. 1/8 of a mile is only .125, so .17 would be 3/16?

• 2 weeks later...