New to NCL

alkwck

Just booked my first NCL cruise on the Gem. I usually cruise with Royal but my husband hates flying and not many cruises leave from Northeast. For those who have cruised both, what are some similarities and differences. With boarding and disembarkation be similar? Do you pre-book entertainment? I see the drink package doesn’t include water or specialty coffee, that saddens me a bit!

Also interested in the thermal spa pass pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find boarding and disembarkation quite similar among NCL, RCCL and Carnival. I like the variety of food choices, both the included and the upcharge places on NCL. Entertainment is higher quality on NCL than I have seen on the others. Yea, I have to pay for good coffee each day but it's a minor thing. They have ice water on the deck by the pool bar on the Breakaway, maybe they will on Gem as well. Bring a cold cup to fill up.

Hope you enjoy NCL... I have been there 3 times for the same reason - love cruising out of NYC and will be on Breakaway a fourth time this fall.

I found NCL and Royal to be fairly similar in regards to service and amenities when comparing the similar-sized ships I've sailed on the two. We liked the included MDR food better on Royal in both choice [escargot available every night was a huge plus] and quality though NCL's MDR food is certainly edible. Our sole Royal cruise was in Europe so we didn't bother with any specialty restaurants. NCL specialty restaurants are quite good and worth the extra money at least once or twice on a trip. Moderno's is delicious and an especially good deal considering what a Brazilian churrascaria can cost on land.

I agree that leaving from the northeast is a huge plus and also wish there were more options. Boston and NYC are both very easy ports to embark/disembark at with minimal crowds and fuss. Enjoy your trip!

We love the Gem. Upon embarkment, Head to the Grand Pacifica instead of the buffet. At sailaway, there will be a bbq on the pool deck, and one every sea day, we really enjoyed the paella. The great outdoors is great for food and relaxing all day long, and spinnakers lounge is one of our indoor favorites with floor to ceiling windows and great servers. Malting/martini bar was a late discovery, a fun bar area with things going on. If you go to the buffet for breakfast, la cucina offers plenty of comfortable overflow seating (plus the great outdoors is right outside the back doors, with easy buffet offerings).

ETA there is no prebooking shows on the Gem, and no need, we usually were rushing from dinner and always got seats for our family of 7. We enjoyed the spa passes, DH and I went every day.

Edited by mjkacmom

Just booked my first NCL cruise on the Gem. I usually cruise with Royal but my husband hates flying and not many cruises leave from Northeast. For those who have cruised both, what are some similarities and differences. With boarding and disembarkation be similar? Do you pre-book entertainment? I see the drink package doesn’t include water or specialty coffee, that saddens me a bit!

Also interested in the thermal spa pass pros and cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be on our first NCL cruise (Gem) sailing out of NYC to New England and Canada on 09/08. I have been asking a lot of questions here and have been reassured by everyone. We can’t wait!

For us it isn't so much the ship, but embarkation city that determines how well embarkation and debarkation go. As for RCI versus NCL. They are more alike than different based on class of ship and similarities in age. We have found the food selection on NCL a little better than RCI and the same with the entertainment. I think you will be happy with your choice and it is good you are trying something new. BTW, I love the New England/Canada itinerary. :)