Great Barrier Reef Adventure any good?

I am a former diver and now snorkel. I am wondering how the Regent tour Great Barrier Reef Adventure is. Is it worth going or is it more of a tourist thing than a quality snorkel event? It will be my only time to get near the Great Barrier Reef.

If it is the same excursion that we took, it was disappointing. If you let me know which sailing you are on, I can take a look at the excursion and see if it might be different.

The one thing that really shocked me about the Great Barrier Reef (or perhaps it was only the place that we were taken to) is that requires snorkelers to cover themselves head to foot - even your face due the box jellyfish, etc.

I did find the excursion and it is the same one that we took and were disappointed with. We did go into the semi-submersible thing and were able to see fish. Being on the pontoon was boring after a while but just because we didn't enjoy it does not mean that you will feel the same.

Well, different strokes for different folks.

My wife and I had a totally wonderful Great Barrier Reef (GBR) experience while aboard a Voyager 2014 cruise from Sydney to Singapore--then on to Kuala Lumpur. But, that is another story.

We are snorkelers. Back in the day, when in the Army, I did a bit of Scuba. But, no more.

We did this 7.5 hour excursion together with about 40 other shipmates. Every aspect was professionally handled, which included a great lunch on the Platform at the GBR site. Fortune smiled regarding weather, sea conditions, and tide.

This excursion requires a 1.5 hour catamaran segment from port to the Reef. The return was a bit shorter due to favorable sea conditions. Folks who are apt to mal de mere may want to consider this aspect. Every segment was done with precision. This included staff at the Platform fitting us out with needed apparel (yes, head to foot--plus flippers) to prevent exposure to coral and sting rays. This excursion was fully described beforehand. Anyone able to read could discern if, perhaps, this was not one to be taken.

Those who remained on the Platform throughout were, literally high and "dry". No alcohol permitted until everyone had completed either snorkel, scuba, or both. Those who needed certification as to scuba hours had that taken care of. Many did. From the best I can recall, about a quarter of our entourage (which included folks from other ships) just stayed on the Platform and took pictures.

Professional staff were in the water with guests at all times. Safety was the prime directive. There was adequate time allowed in the water. Estimate about 2.5 hours. Enough to poop me out, for sure.

Lunch was served. Delicious. Sea remained calm. Everyone was in good spirits. The head count assured everyone was accounted-for. Pleasant trip back to shore. Then, a short walk back to Voyager. Sure, we were a bit-pooped out, and gringey (sp). But, a quick shower, then on to a cocktail before dinner.

Altogether, a great day. This is one of those experiences which will probably not be repeated. And, we plan to be back in Australia in 2019. But, we were glad it was undertaken when we were younger. My two cents-worth.

GOARMY!

Ida and I enjoyed snorkeling the GBR last January with fellow Regent cruise friends who organized a private GBR snorkel adventure (at half the cost of the Regent GBR excursion ($200 vs $400 pp). Have copied a few of our posts/photos from that wonderful snorkel adventure, tho when we snorkeled with Frank and Susan in Phuket a few years back the sealife/coral was significantly better. As a diver believe it or not the diving/sealife, coral was even better in Cozumel than the GBR.

If interested in a private GBR excursion (note in photo below we were a group of about 15 or less).

Our Cairns private excursion for those of you going to Cairns in the future:

http://www.skedaddlecairns.com.au/the-tour

If you want to read directly from our Auckland to Sydney thread from last year pls see:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447508&highlight=voyager+auckland&page=9

6907acab3d443ac477eff3f2a7ac33aa.jpg6956c0385fbd0ea8be4d81cd067a9a47.jpg

18f9905da5e21b634820a9869de3f260.jpg

3d3036a16deffd37152b0254cdc5f772.jpg

4f3760d5b136ecb940789f63fb939ee3.jpg

Edited by WesW

Another perspective: 200 people on the catamaran, constant upsell of services (this was a Regent Choice paid excursion already) to the point I asked what exactly we paid for. Bumpy ride out, sea sick. Once in the water, no fish to see as the coral is dying. Got out of the water after 30 minutes and “feeding the fish” and slept the rest of the time. The only saving grace was the huge catamaran was air conditioned. This was this year, Singapore to Sydney.

Same trip as foregap, this year, Singapore to Sydney but did not get seasick. Longish sail to and from the site but did not find it rough nor did we get seasick. My wife is prone to it in small boats but merely took a Dramamine in advance. Enjoyed the snorkeling and saw lots of fish big and small but not more and probably less than most snorkeling sites. Was in the water longer than most and had a good time. Very good lunch -probably because of the time in the water. Friends did scuba and they said good but nothing special. Yes, lots of upsell for pictures, guided snorkel tours, scuba etc with many people wanting that. We did not, simply said no and that was that.

I would probably not do it next time we are there but am very pleased we did it this time. A private tour might be better and more worthwhile but we didn't want to bother which is why we like the included and premium Regent tours - but that is another thread.

Best,

John

I haven't taken this excursion, but I know people who have. You are taken to a pontoon where you will snorkel or dive with lots of other people. And where the reef has taken a beating from all the things that are killing the reef. If it's your only chance to get to the GBR, it is probably worth it. But, if you can arrange your own trip to the reef (importantly, to spots OTHER THAN the pontoon), that will be your better bet.

As for the head-to-toe coverage, that is required only during, and on the cusp of, stinger season. I.e., October/November to May/June. They are hideous looking, and a pain to get on and off, but you do want that protection. A side benefit is that they also protect from the sun.

I haven't taken this excursion, but I know people who have. You are taken to a pontoon where you will snorkel or dive with lots of other people. And where the reef has taken a beating from all the things that are killing the reef. If it's your only chance to get to the GBR, it is probably worth it. But, if you can arrange your own trip to the reef (importantly, to spots OTHER THAN the pontoon), that will be your better bet.

As for the head-to-toe coverage, that is required only during, and on the cusp of, stinger season. I.e., October/November to May/June. They are hideous looking, and a pain to get on and off, but you do want that protection. A side benefit is that they also protect from the sun.

Good to know that there is a stinger season - was not aware of it. So, the months that you can snorkel without all of the gear is during their winter We were there in December and there were loads of box jellyfish. We also hit rough waters which is why we didn't snorkel - I am not a strong swimmer. I found staying on the pontoon for so long quite boring and do not remember what we had for lunch.

If we were there again, we would do a private or small group excursion.

We did an excursion at the Great Barrier Reef in November 2004, as part of a Tauck tour. Herb and I were snorklers back then. ( the following year, we snorkeled off the reef near Belize).

The Great Barrier Reef snorkel was fabulous then. We wore light blue rubber suits to protect from the jelly fish. Friends said we looked like teletubbies. (Remember them?) We had a great day. I would not recommend going out to the platform if you are not snorkeling.

Even if the snorkeling is not as fascinating now, as it was then, I am sure it will be a wonderful experience.

We went on the excursion this March - Voyager Sydney to Bali.

Quite honest it was dreadful, a long boat trip - with loads of other people (I'm not even convinced all were from Regent) to a Pontoon where there were Masks, Fins, Floatation Jackets & Snorkels plus Wet Suits for those who wanted them.

On the trip out there was CONSTANT upsell attempts - Snorkel with a marine biologist, snorkel with a "trainer" (This was REALLY dangerous IMO - see below), scuba dive or go over the reef in a helicopter - this had loads of take up but didn't happen for some reason.

There was a roped off area in the sea off the pontoon where we had to snorkel:

- there was no coral

- there were very few fish

- there were far too many people

- the sea was very rough - according to a member of staff it had been like it for the past few days

- those snorkelling with a "trainer" - there were 4 plus the "trainer"- were supposed to hold onto a floating ring (large lifesaver) and put their faces in the water & kick/swim away from the pontoon rope. Trouble is, most couldn't swim, let alone snorkel and couldn't/wouldn't put their faces in the water, so ended up bashing into those of us who were trying - in the really rough sea - to get away from the pontoon and rope - IMO they really should have been in a separate area.

Along with several others I felt really unsafe and got out - there were just too many people in too small an area and in too rough seas.

We've been to the GBR before and loved it, but this was awful.

I would strongly suggest that you go with the non-Regent option noted above by Wes.

If it is the same excursion that we took, it was disappointing. If you let me know which sailing you are on, I can take a look at the excursion and see if it might be different.

The one thing that really shocked me about the Great Barrier Reef (or perhaps it was only the place that we were taken to) is that requires snorkelers to cover themselves head to foot - even your face due the box jellyfish, etc.

Sydney to Singapore on Mariner January 20th

The tour is called the Great Barrier Reef Adventure and goes by catamaran to the Marine World activity platform.

Another perspective: 200 people on the catamaran, constant upsell of services (this was a Regent Choice paid excursion already) to the point I asked what exactly we paid for. Bumpy ride out, sea sick. Once in the water, no fish to see as the coral is dying. Got out of the water after 30 minutes and “feeding the fish” and slept the rest of the time. The only saving grace was the huge catamaran was air conditioned. This was this year, Singapore to Sydney.

Thanks that's what I was afraid of.

I did find the excursion and it is the same one that we took and were disappointed with. We did go into the semi-submersible thing and were able to see fish. Being on the pontoon was boring after a while but just because we didn't enjoy it does not mean that you will feel the same.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ida and I enjoyed snorkeling the GBR last January with fellow Regent cruise friends who organized a private GBR snorkel adventure (at half the cost of the Regent GBR excursion ($200 vs $400 pp). Have copied a few of our posts/photos from that wonderful snorkel adventure, tho when we snorkeled with Frank and Susan in Phuket a few years back the sealife/coral was significantly better. As a diver believe it or not the diving/sealife, coral was even better in Cozumel than the GBR.

If interested in a private GBR excursion (note in photo below we were a group of about 15 or less).

Our Cairns private excursion for those of you going to Cairns in the future:

http://www.skedaddlecairns.com.au/the-tour

If you want to read directly from our Auckland to Sydney thread from last year pls see:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447508&highlight=voyager+auckland&page=9

6907acab3d443ac477eff3f2a7ac33aa.jpg6956c0385fbd0ea8be4d81cd067a9a47.jpg

18f9905da5e21b634820a9869de3f260.jpg

3d3036a16deffd37152b0254cdc5f772.jpg

4f3760d5b136ecb940789f63fb939ee3.jpg

Thank you I will check it out.

Same trip as foregap, this year, Singapore to Sydney but did not get seasick. Longish sail to and from the site but did not find it rough nor did we get seasick. My wife is prone to it in small boats but merely took a Dramamine in advance. Enjoyed the snorkeling and saw lots of fish big and small but not more and probably less than most snorkeling sites. Was in the water longer than most and had a good time. Very good lunch -probably because of the time in the water. Friends did scuba and they said good but nothing special. Yes, lots of upsell for pictures, guided snorkel tours, scuba etc with many people wanting that. We did not, simply said no and that was that.

I would probably not do it next time we are there but am very pleased we did it this time. A private tour might be better and more worthwhile but we didn't want to bother which is why we like the included and premium Regent tours - but that is another thread.

Best,

John

Thanks for you input.

We went on the excursion this March - Voyager Sydney to Bali.

Quite honest it was dreadful, a long boat trip - with loads of other people (I'm not even convinced all were from Regent) to a Pontoon where there were Masks, Fins, Floatation Jackets & Snorkels plus Wet Suits for those who wanted them.

On the trip out there was CONSTANT upsell attempts - Snorkel with a marine biologist, snorkel with a "trainer" (This was REALLY dangerous IMO - see below), scuba dive or go over the reef in a helicopter - this had loads of take up but didn't happen for some reason.

There was a roped off area in the sea off the pontoon where we had to snorkel:

- there was no coral

- there were very few fish

- there were far too many people

- the sea was very rough - according to a member of staff it had been like it for the past few days

- those snorkelling with a "trainer" - there were 4 plus the "trainer"- were supposed to hold onto a floating ring (large lifesaver) and put their faces in the water & kick/swim away from the pontoon rope. Trouble is, most couldn't swim, let alone snorkel and couldn't/wouldn't put their faces in the water, so ended up bashing into those of us who were trying - in the really rough sea - to get away from the pontoon and rope - IMO they really should have been in a separate area.

Along with several others I felt really unsafe and got out - there were just too many people in too small an area and in too rough seas.

We've been to the GBR before and loved it, but this was awful.

I would strongly suggest that you go with the non-Regent option noted above by Wes.

Thanks for the critique.