AMA in Toledo Spain?

robertmartha

So my youngest just got home from Madrid (where she took a day trip to Toledo) and had texted me that she saw the AMA "lollipops" while she was touring the city? So what sailings have touring options to Toledo? Would assume a Portugal / Spain sailing?

So my youngest just got home from Madrid (where she took a day trip to Toledo) and had texted me that she saw the AMA "lollipops" while she was touring the city? So what sailings have touring options to Toledo? Would assume a Portugal / Spain sailing?

Not sure if you are specifically asking about AMA's side trip to Toledo, but we are on Vantage Douro river cruise in October and the Toledo excursion is an afternoon option the second day we are in Madrid. I would imagine it is a option on most if not all of the river cruises on the Douro.

Cole

Thanks Cole

I did not know the ports on a Douro sailing - I knew Portugal but was not aware that Madrid was a port on the sailings. Good to know. My daughter absolutely loved Toledo (more so then Madrid). When she saw the AMA tour group she texted me since she was surprised to see them! (yea my daughter has the cruise bug from her dad! :D)

We're taking the Uniworld trip on the Douro this summer, starting with 3 nights in Madrid and ending with 2 nights in Lisbon. While in Madrid, Uniworld has an included day tour to Toledo. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about this trip, but I'm looking forward to exploring a new (for me) part of the old world!

Gnome - meaning after the sailing a land portion?

Sorry, I’m frequently terse. Madrid would be a pre or post cruise extension from a Douro tour generally. Toledo would be an excursion from there. I personally spent 2 nights there before a land tour of Andalusia. It was particularly nice in the evening after the day trippers were gone, but that is true of lots of places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many river cruise lines only do the Duoro as a round trip from Porto. AMA offers that itinerary as well. But they also offer a one-way itinerary and an optional 3-night extension in Madrid that includes a City tour of Madrid one day, an excursion to Toledo the next day, and a coach transfer from Madrid to the ship in Vega Teron via Salamanca (flamenco show and lunch). Because the ship only has to sail down the Douro one-way, this also leaves more time in port along the way. [They also offer a 3-night extension in Lisbon (via high-speed train from Porto) that includes a tour of Lisbon and an excursion to Sintra.] IMO this is a preferable itinerary as it adds more depth than just the Douro Valley and port wine tastings – but it does double the length of the trip.

Many river cruise lines only do the Duoro as a round trip from Porto. AMA offers that itinerary as well. But they also offer a one-way itinerary and an optional 3-night extension in Madrid that includes a City tour of Madrid one day, an excursion to Toledo the next day, and a coach transfer from Madrid to the ship in Vega Teron via Salamanca (flamenco show and lunch). Because the ship only has to sail down the Douro one-way, this also leaves more time in port along the way. [They also offer a 3-night extension in Lisbon (via high-speed train from Porto) that includes a tour of Lisbon and an excursion to Sintra.] IMO this is a preferable itinerary as it adds more depth than just the Douro Valley and port wine tastings – but it does double the length of the trip.

We are taking the Madrid to Lisbon trip with AMA very soon. Have read many good reviews of this itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums