Opinions on Houston/Galveston Accomodations

Cardinala

We are a family of 3. Arriving 9pm the night before a cruise.

We are renting a van and staying 5 nights post cruise in a different area of Texas. I'm renting the van as my last experience out of Galveston was a nightmare (3 days no ship due to fog -- No car rentals, and no hotels available). I'm willing to pay the extra days of rental and parking to avoid that situation again.

Here's my question......

After reading all the comments about traffic, construction etc. etc.....am I better to drive at 9pm further south towards Galveston, or better off to stay in hotel in the airport area and take my time in the morning? Take into consideration I have a 6 year old with me, who will have just travelled most of the day and will be hungry(looking for a restaurant---or even better a hotel with a late night restaurant attached).

P.S. If you could pass along some hotel recommendations with your choice of location that would be great!

Thanks.

We stayed at the Houston Hobby SpringHill Suites near the Houston Hobby airport arriving the afternoon before we sailed. Their shuttle picked us up at the airport and later gave us a ride to and from a close restaurant for dinner. The next day we used Lyft to get to the port and we were there in right under an hour. If SpringHill is not your thing then there is a Marriott close by and a handful of other hotels. Easy smeasy!

I also recommend staying in Houston the first night. We stayed at the Hampton near Intercontinental airport & used their free shuttle. It would probably be less expensive to take a shuttle to the port than pay for a rental car & parking. When you get off the ship you could shuttle back to either airport & pick up a car.

Yes I've checked all hotels in the area around IAH. Tripadvisor has to be taken with a grain of salt lately, just thought there would be so many people on here that have been in my shoes, I'd get some better advice.

I'll keep searching.

I'm personally booked pre-cruise at the Sheraton at IAH. Renting a car that night and driving to the port the next morning. In the long run, it is cheaper than the shuttles for us. We are getting in at 11:30pm the night before, so it seems just easier.

I'd do the opposite of what others have suggested, but I've lived and driven the area roads here for 59 years so what do I know? :D

Get your van, take the airport exit to I-45 south and get through town. At that time of night you will sail through. Look at the upsurge of new hotels in 77505 zip codes (think Beltway and Crenshaw) and those in Webster (77598). Lots of choices for food around or grab something on the road.

From either area the drive to Galveston the next morning will have zero traffic and be around 30 minutes. You can sleep late, enjoy a late check-out and not worry about getting through town. Stop at Bucees at Exit 17, you'll be glad you did!