Need advice for transportation to Galveston port--not staying in hotel

Hi, all. I apologize if this has been covered but I wasn't having good luck with my searches. Brand new, never been on a cruise. We are flying into Houston the day before and staying overnight with friends there (actually in The Woodlands) as we don't get to see them often. But, now, how to get to the port. Any suggestions? My head is swimming trying to sort out the options/cost with options and they all pick up from airport or hotel. Our friend can drop us somewhere (and truthfully may ofter to take us to the port, but I don't want to count on that much of an imposition).

If your friend would take you back to IAH airport, you could catch a shuttle from there to Galveston on cruise day morning. There have been many shuttle options mentioned previously on this board. Among them are Galveston Express and Galveston Limo. We use Cruise Connection and find them very reliable.Just google for rates and phone numbers.

If your friend would take you back to IAH airport, you could catch a shuttle from there to Galveston on cruise day morning. There have been many shuttle options mentioned previously on this board. Among them are Galveston Express and Galveston Limo. We use Cruise Connection and find them very reliable.Just google for rates and phone numbers.

Thanks. I wondered if that might work. He lives about 15-20 minutes from IAH (he's actually a mechanic for United). So I'm sure he could do that. As I said, if he has the time, he may want to drive us just for the extra time to visit, but I want to explore options just in case (and I don't know if he'll know what his June schedule is that far in advance.) We'll be talking to him again soon about our plans so will know more. I'm just a compulsive planner and nervous about the whole cruise experience. Truth be told I wouldn't even be going except it's the cruise itself is a gift from my dad--multiple family going but getting there different ways.

I would make a reservation with whatever shuttle you decide to use a couple of months in advance. They can book up quickly. Renting a car would be your only other option as a taxi or Uber would be very, very expensive. It is at least 1.5 hour drive from the Woodlands to Galveston. And of course if you rent a car, you will have to pay parking for the duration of your cruise.

It's going to be about 90 miles from The Woodlands to the port in Galveston. Check with Uber and see what they charge.

In addition to Uber check out Lyft. We checked both services when we were ready to go and found Lyft to be a little bit less expensive plus if you are new they give you $5 off the first ride. Interestingly enough what you will find is that most of the drivers are working for Lyft and Uber at the same time...

If you are considering renting a car, you might compare a one day rental on both ends from Enterprise. They didn't charge a drop off fee so all we paid was the daily rate. So check how much it might cost for renting the entire time and using a parking lot and compare with one day rental on both ends. There are a few pick up locations near The Woodlands The only caution is if your cruise begins and ends on Sun as Enterprise is not open.