buying Mamajuana drink in DR

I believe the name of the bars at Amber Cove (swim up bar and outside bar) are both run by coco cana - thread below has a copy of their food/drink menu - does not list your drink but you can always ask to see if they have the ingredients to make one for you?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2401409

There is also the Sky Top bar at the top of the hill where the zipline begins - but not sure about their drink menu?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why the other poster said it's not allowed in the US. We've purchased it both in the bottle, and the dry/twigs mix to make our own and brought it back with us. No where did we ever see that it's not allowed in the US. All it is, is Red Wine, Honey and Rum. Nothing illegal in it.

While I have not been to Amber Cove, I've been in a lot of other places in the DR and there is ALWAYS mamajuana. It's their unofficial national drink. It's offered on almost every tour and in every gift shop. You will have no issues finding it at the bar OR at a shop, I wouldn't think.

Word of advice, if you are looking to bring it back, buy the dried "ingredients" and make your own. You can use any kind of honey, wine and rum that you get at home. Just buy the dry pack of leaves/twigs and carry that home. No worry of breakage, and it's much lighter!!

When entering the airport at BWI (at least) ur informed that it's not allowed. They search ur bags (well with the dogs) looking for Mamajuana and confiscate it if found. This occurs on flights back from DR. Not sure how that works with a cruise!

The prohibition (selectively enforced, as you can see) is because of the twigs in the bottle, which may contain insects or other harmful things (what a charming thought) the U.S. doesn't want brought into the country. I had some in Puerto Plata and thought it was strange and awful, but it's very popular in the DR. If you like it, it's probably best to enjoy it there. Straight Brugal rum, on the other hand, is great and has no importation problems; there's a bottling plant in Puerto Plata with very good prices on a large selection of their products (skip the tour unless you like watching German machines fold and pack cardboard boxes).

• 9 months later...

I remember mamajuana very well from our Dreams La Romana vacation. One of the workers at the resort told us not to buy any to take back, as it could be confiscated. He said the people at the stores won't tell you that and will sell it to you knowing full well that you could lose it. While I drank my share of it at the resort, I didn't like it enough to consider purchasing any to take home. What I found odd was that it was for sale in the airport, so not sure what is actually true. Maybe it's allowed some places but not others?

When we went to the Dominican Republic, we were allowed to bring back a couple bottles of Mama Juana as long as there was liquid in the bottle. You are not allowed to bring the ingredients back in dry form. Below is a statement US Customs had posted.

Both US and Canadian customs do not permit the transport of Mama Juana if it is not in its liquid. If you take dry MamaJuana ingredients home with you, be warned, it may be confiscated by Customs. U.S. customs officials appear to be wise to the beverage and will ask you straight out if you are bringing back Mamajuana. Those with liquid versions are subject to the alcohol importing restrictions of their customs office but those with dry ingredients will be confiscated on the spot.