Citavettchia to Rome transport?

khuselid

Hey all,

I can't get info on excursions over the weekend because I have to call Oceania (we are doing B2B cruises and can't access our info online some O glitch). Does anyone know if O generally provides transport into Rome from the Port? There are no excursions that day as it is a crossover day. WOndering the best way to get into Rome??

Thanks, Kim

train

if I remember correctly it takes about 45 minutes..there is a ticker (Berg?) that includes use of metro in Rome

remember to stamp your ticket on the platform beffore you board the train

do a search on Cruise critic as I have seen posts with instructions how to do this

I think if you are doing a B2B, there will be excursion options just for those people who are staying onboard. Check with your TA. A car and driver is pricy but an easy option, especially if you want a private tour included. Otherwise get the shuttle to the gate, a cab to the train station, a train into Rome. We did a car and driver from Rome to the port and we got dropped off right at the ship. Stefano's Rome Cabs. Well worth the expense but we were traveling with luggage.

Mary

Hey all,

I can't get info on excursions over the weekend because I have to call Oceania (we are doing B2B cruises and can't access our info online some O glitch). Does anyone know if O generally provides transport into Rome from the Port? There are no excursions that day as it is a crossover day. WOndering the best way to get into Rome??

Thanks, Kim

Kim, no take the train 200 yards from port gate 45 min to termeni station or Vatican station 35 min

At the new(fish) entrance to the port where the port shuttle drops you there are numerous offerings of tours, taxis and a bus to the train station and buses going into and back from Rome.

The port entrance is now quite a way from the station, recently it was €5 in a taxi from port to station.

At the new(fish) entrance to the port where the port shuttle drops you there are numerous offerings of tours, taxis and a bus to the train station and buses going into and back from Rome.

The port entrance is now quite a way from the station, recently it was €5 in a taxi from port to station.

Thanks for that info. Would you be able to tell me, generally, where the port entrance now is? I was not aware it had changed since our visit to Rome maybe 8 or 9 years ago. (At that time, about all I remember is that there was a fort right there by the port entrance.) Would you happen to know if there's still a public bus that goes to the train station? That's what we took when we were there before. The station was just a little bit farther than we felt we could manage.

Oh, and I think it's a "BIRG" ticket that gets you a train ride to Rome and use of public transportation there. Has anyone bought one recently? Does it still exist? We used that when we went to Rome before on Oceania.

thanks for the Birg....its been 5 years since we did this..train station was just to the right of the port entrance..there was a free shuttle to the port gates by the Fort from the ship. was a short walk to the train station. google map it and it shows the area. we joined a ship there once too and we shared a cab from the train station to the ship

info at https://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia.htm

have fun

Hey all,

Thanks, Kim

Yes, they do seem to be having some problems with B2Bs (even some 2x7 but as 1, etc.) with La Reserve as well.

But the good news is you can call them on a weekend (well could have but I am posting to late to help you this weekend)

"Call Center Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Saturday : 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Sunday : 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m."

As for "best way to get into Rome" it is subjective.

Cheapest is a DIY bus/train. We've done that. Takes planning. Leaving Rome early (dont plan on the last train to get back to port in time for all aboard but the plan on the one before and still arrive at the station way early. Don't want to miss the train and miss the boat. And have to find the train and track. And might have to stand if show up too late and it is full .... It was SRO but got a couple of seats. Felt sorry for those with luggage in tow. All that said it was a fun day and a good adventure.

More efficient, useful of limited vacation time, little time consumed in planning, wasted in overheard of getting to and from and arriving early to waiting for trains, etc would be a private car. Clearly more expensive but sometimes is best choice. We have done this with fellow travellers and shred the cost.

And a cruise shorex is in-between. The same cruise we took the train, friends we were travelling with took O's (expensive) excursion because the value for them was it was prepared, major sights 'ticked" and safely back the the ship. Not for us but it worked perfectly for them and their first visit.

The other couple we were with took it as a "ship day" and did not go ashore but had a lazy pampered day on board. They had been several times to Rome and environs and feel it too rushed and long distance and prefer land travel for this area.

Everyone has a different take.

Edited to add, in case you don't know and choose the train option, you must remember to validate your train ticket *before* boarding. Do it right way. Don't assume there will be a WORKING machine, and maybe no machine, at your platform. Happened to me; had to run back to the station find the machine. It was easy to find as it had a long line being as it was the only working machine, The other machine had a shorter line of hopefuls. Just made it back to the platform as the train pulled in.

Edited by YoHoHo

Yes, they do seem to be having some problems with B2Bs (even some 2x7 but as 1, etc.) with La Reserve as well.

But the good news is you can call them on a weekend (well could have but I am posting to late to help you this weekend)

"Call Center Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Saturday : 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Sunday : 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m."

As for "best way to get into Rome" it is subjective.

Cheapest is a DIY bus/train. We've done that. Takes planning. Leaving Rome early (dont plan on the last train to get back to port in time for all aboard but the plan on the one before and still arrive at the station way early. Don't want to miss the train and miss the boat. And have to find the train and track. And might have to stand if show up too late and it is full .... It was SRO but got a couple of seats. Felt sorry for those with luggage in tow. All that said it was a fun day and a good adventure.

More efficient, useful of limited vacation time, little time consumed in planning, wasted in overheard of getting to and from and arriving early to waiting for trains, etc would be a private car. Clearly more expensive but sometimes is best choice. We have done this with fellow travellers and shred the cost.

And a cruise shorex is in-between. The same cruise we took the train, friends we were travelling with took O's (expensive) excursion because the value for them was it was prepared, major sights 'ticked" and safely back the the ship. Not for us but it worked perfectly for them and their first visit.

The other couple we were with took it as a "ship day" and did not go ashore but had a lazy pampered day on board. They had been several times to Rome and environs and feel it too rushed and long distance and prefer land travel for this area.

Everyone has a different take.

Edited to add, in case you don't know and choose the train option, you must remember to validate your train ticket *before* boarding. Do it right way. Don't assume there will be a WORKING machine, and maybe no machine, at your platform. Happened to me; had to run back to the station find the machine. It was easy to find as it had a long line being as it was the only working machine, The other machine had a shorter line of hopefuls. Just made it back to the platform as the train pulled in.

I'm laughing because I just read the info on the Rome Toolkit link that was provided by Captain Canuck (thanks!) and it says about trains to Civi from Rome, "core service is broadly a twice hourly service on commuter style trains taking around 70 to 80 minutes. Punctuality and time keeping are not strong points of this service." Oh boy....

It also goes on to say, "There are also much less frequent long distance inter-city long distance trains that will do the journey in about 45 minutes non-stop. Tickets however for these cost well over double that of the commuter trains."

There are also directions for walking between Civi train station (Stazione Civitavecchia) and the "Largo della Pace" place at the start of the cruise port where shuttles to the cruise ships begin. The directions made more sense to me when I looked on Google Earth to see the route. The time, according to Google, was 19 minutes walking, from station to Largo della Pace."

It says regular taxis from the Civi train station are not allowed to go into the port itself, so they deposit passengers at the square (Largo) and then a white shuttle bus takes passengers to their ship.

On other cruise critic links, people suggested looking at Rome Shuttle and Rome Cabs. However, I haven't used them, so am not really recommending them, just mentioning them for people who would prefer to have a simpler option for traveling to Rome.

I'm laughing because I just read the info on the Rome Toolkit link that was provided by Captain Canuck (thanks!) and it says about trains to Civi from Rome, "core service is broadly a twice hourly service on commuter style trains taking around 70 to 80 minutes. Punctuality and time keeping are not strong points of this service." Oh boy....

It also goes on to say, "There are also much less frequent long distance inter-city long distance trains that will do the journey in about 45 minutes non-stop. Tickets however for these cost well over double that of the commuter trains."

There are also directions for walking between Civi train station (Stazione Civitavecchia) and the "Largo della Pace" place at the start of the cruise port where shuttles to the cruise ships begin. The directions made more sense to me when I looked on Google Earth to see the route. The time, according to Google, was 19 minutes walking, from station to Largo della Pace."

It says regular taxis from the Civi train station are not allowed to go into the port itself, so they deposit passengers at the square (Largo) and then a white shuttle bus takes passengers to their ship.

On other cruise critic links, people suggested looking at Rome Shuttle and Rome Cabs. However, I haven't used them, so am not really recommending them, just mentioning them for people who would prefer to have a simpler option for traveling to Rome.

>"Punctuality and time keeping are not strong points of this service."

True. Could be on strike for a couple of hours (or more) too. This is Italy. And reason I travel is to enjoy the differences. (and have a plan B

>"Tickets however for these cost well over double that of the commuter trains."

They have three in general (not all routes). The cheapest is very slow with lots of stops and very cheap. Then faster, newer, fewer stops and then high speed, smooth as silk, reserve a seat trains. And while maybe double the cost, it is still not a lot for a day trip

>"Punctuality and time keeping are not strong points of this service."

True. Could be on strike for a couple of hours (or more) too. This is Italy. And reason I travel is to enjoy the differences. (and have a plan B

>"Tickets however for these cost well over double that of the commuter trains."

They have three in general (not all routes). The cheapest is very slow with lots of stops and very cheap. Then faster, newer, fewer stops and then high speed, smooth as silk, reserve a seat trains. And while maybe double the cost, it is still not a lot for a day trip

I'll be going from Rome to Civitavecchia, staying in Rome pre-cruise. Would you happen to know if I can purchase a BIRG ticket and then take any train from Civitavecchia to Rome (or vice versa) on Trenitalia's website, or are you limited to which trains you can take?

Also, I found a nice guide that the port of Civitavecchia prepared, in case anyone's interested. It's here: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

I'll be going from Rome to Civitavecchia, staying in Rome pre-cruise. Would you happen to know if I can purchase a BIRG ticket and then take any train from Civitavecchia to Rome (or vice versa) on Trenitalia's website, or are you limited to which trains you can take?

Also, I found a nice guide that the port of Civitavecchia prepared, in case anyone's interested. It's here: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

Thanks for the link. We will be in Rome for 5 days pre-cruise. We will go with Rome Cabs as they seem reliable with many positive reviews in Tripadviser.

King

We love Rome Cabs, this is the easiest way to tour Rome. They pick you up early and drive you quickly and efficiently from site to site.

We’ve done the train from Civi to the Vatican, a great DIY. Rick Steves Cruising guide to the Med gives precise instructions. First time we did it I memorized everything, now I would put it in my phone. Prebuy museum tickets.

The port bus takes you to a parking lot, where there will be a city bus running back and forth to the train station. If local cabs are available take one to the train station.

We have walked to the train station rather than waiting in lines. The walk is slightly uphill, we are average walkers and it took 15-20 minutes. Inside the terminal buy a round trip ticket from the smoke shop. At the train track verify your train stops at the Vatican, don’t go all the way to Termini. Take a cab from the train station to the Vatican museum entrance. Spend the morning in this magnificent museum..

Grab a quick snack at the museum eatery.

Depending on crowds go into St Peters, walk the Square. Then reverse the process to get back to Civi. Normally cabs meet each train, some have port access and can drive right to your ship. If no cabs the walk back is slightly downhill and easier.

Someone asked about Termini to Civi. We purchased tickets at the station from a kiosk, we usually buy the next departing train. Civi train may be on track 25. Make sure you validate the train tickets, they spot check for validation.

Thank you all! Love all the help! We have decided to go with Rome Cabs for their Rome in a day tour. We just don't want to stress the bus/train/boat thing, especially if it's hot. Generally we are self guided, but this time a tour just seems to make more sense.

If I had been to Rome before I probably would just stay on the ship, but since I haven't it just seems like I ought to see what it's about!

Finally got my blue books today after many calls, up the management chain, from my TA!!Only 17 days til we leave!!

train back to port

just remember 1 tip by mention of track 25..when we took the train the track was on the far side of the terminal...to the right as you face the tracks from the main entrance....this track is set back from most of the others so you do not see people waiting until you walk that way and go around a corner

Thanks for that info. Would you be able to tell me, generally, where the port entrance now is? I was not aware it had changed since our visit to Rome maybe 8 or 9 years ago. (At that time, about all I remember is that there was a fort right there by the port entrance.) Would you happen to know if there's still a public bus that goes to the train station? That's what we took when we were there before. The station was just a little bit farther than we felt we could manage.

Oh, and I think it's a "BIRG" ticket that gets you a train ride to Rome and use of public transportation there. Has anyone bought one recently? Does it still exist? We used that when we went to Rome before on Oceania.

Sorry not looked at the thread for a while, the drop off is now away to the left of the port (with the sea at your back) It is a good 20/30 minute walk for us old folk back to the "old" port entrance near the fort.

This guide to the port may help

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-guide-cruise-passengers

Rome Cabs. Have used them many times for port transportation and tours and they are terrific. For a day in port, I prefer to have them pick us up at the port, and then arrange for them to pick us up at the end of the day at a pre-arranged place and time to take us back to port. But we have been to Rome before and prefer doing our own thing. It's even better if you can get a group together on your ship to share costs of the transport...

The walk to the train from the port entrance is appx 20 min. There is a 9:15 frecca train which is usually 18e pp rt for 1st class. The advantage to the frecca is reserved seats and it takes about 15 min less than regional trains. Sometimes the regional trains are full leaving Termini so they skip stops including the Vatican stop. If you are waiting at the Vatican to get back to the ship and your train drives past without stopping it is not pleasant. Also, Frecca trains do not participate in strikes.

You can take the frecca to Termini with reserved seats in hand. From there, the metro gets you close to most everything. Red line to Vatican, Blue line to Colosseum. Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain Pantheon etc., are a bit of a walk from metro but strolling is half the fun of Rome. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums