Dinner choice

crestofawave

My wife and i are looking to take a lux cruise this year and although we like the more up market approach we are quite plain eaters and very adventurous when it comes to food.

Is it really the case in these lines that if there is nothing on the menu that you fancy you can ask for something off menu ie chicken, salmon , pasta or pizza etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice

My wife and i are looking to take a lux cruise this year and although we like the more up market approach we are quite plain eaters and very adventurous when it comes to food.

Is it really the case in these lines that if there is nothing on the menu that you fancy you can ask for something off menu ie chicken, salmon , pasta or pizza etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice

I can only speak for Crystal, but there is always a few "plain" items on the menu every night - a steak, chicken and a fish that aren't all fancified. Also, you can ask your head waiter to see the menu for the next night the day before and if there isn't anything you like, you can order something else. Also, I would "suggest" that a cruise is the perfect place to branch out and try something "exotic"...as they say, try it, you might like it!:p

You can also request "no sauce" or " no mushrooms".....stuff like that...

My hubby isn't very "adventurous" with his eating, either, but the food is presented so well, it's a shame not to try it!

Cruise lines in the luxury market don't really serve weird or exotic food. It's just that on the luxury lines the food they serve uses higher quality ingredients, better cuts of meat and the food is not mass prepared like on the mass market lines.

Yes, you can order off menu items, but you need to make the request 24 hours in advance. You really can't go in and say "I want such and such right now", but it's better to tell your waiter the day before what you want.

On lines like Crystal and Seabourn, they generally have three appetizers, two or three soups and two salads, four or five entrees that will include at least one beef, poultry and fish. On Crystal they also have a salad entree (a really large salad) and they also have a pasta selection every evening. There is always the "anytime" entrees every evening such as a steak and salmon.

I am not a very adventurous either, but have spent months on RSSC ships, Voyager and Mariner without having any problems getting more than enough to eat. Below is a link with sample menus from the RSSC website.

http://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_voyager/dining.aspx

In Compass Rose, you can always get a steak, salmon or chicken. There is always pasta on the menu, and I have ordered it in either appetizer or entree sized portions no matter where it appears on the menu. There is always pizza by room service. You can special order your requests 24-hours in advance in Compass Rose. The alternative restaurants have more limitations and you would probabl always have to stay within the confines of their menus.

Debbie

All the luxury lines have a section of the menu entitled something like "Always Available." This usually includes steak, salmon, chicken, caesar salad, etc." Plus as previously stated you can order anything you want 24 hours in advance.

I agree with the other posters but will add comments about pasta and pizza. Pasta with just plain tomato or pesto is often on simplicity menus, and most lines are cooking pasta at lunch. You could customize then. They also likely will have a pasta on the dinner menu. Silversea has pizzas available for lunch daily, at the pool and in the room. They are lovely thin crust pizzas. Regent Voyager just added a pizza oven at lunch, and you can have them slice any size. This is a thicker crust.

Often in addition to the simplicity menu, there are things like roast salmon. There is a fish every night and usually a beef dish. I know on Silversea, you get the menus the night before. On Regent, they are on the TV, and by afternoon, you can go to the restaurant and see them posted. One thing that Regent Voyager added was the chophouse style restaurant, Prime 7. There, they have your basic American type staples served a bit glamed up. Go hungry.

Whatever line you choose, you probably can find yummy things without having to ask for too much different. My husband does beef, chicken, pasta or fish and veggies most of the time and has never ordered a special dish.

Archived