Blow dryers? Liberty of the Seas RCI

MrsDeee

It's getting close and I'm finally packing!!

Will there be blow dryers in the room, or easily able to obtain when I need them? Same question with an clothes iron.

If I have to bring my own, will there be outlets able to handle a strong blow dryer?

Thanks [emoji846]

First timers

RCI LOS 05/14/17

Will there be blow dryers in the room, or easily able to obtain when I need them? Same question with an clothes iron.

If I have to bring my own, will there be outlets able to handle a strong blow dryer?

Thanks [emoji846]

First timers

RCI LOS 05/14/17

There are hairdryers in the room,.

You cannot take an iron on-board, its viewed as a fire hazard.

Thanks [emoji846]

First timers

RCI LOS 05/14/17

I can't answer for availability on the ship, haven't sailed it. Clothes irons are not allowed, and there are no self-service laundry facilities on RCI ships. Whether your hair dryer blows the circuit or not depends more on how many ladies are using theirs at the same time, since several cabins are on the same circuit. If your hair dryer is "dual voltage" (meaning there is a "power brick" on the cord, and it says "input voltage 100-240vac" on it), then with a proper outlet adapter, you can plug into the 220v outlet in the cabin, and your dryer will draw half as much current for the same heat, and have less chance of blowing the circuit. You will need a European 2-round pin plug adapter.

Thanks [emoji846]

First timers

RCI LOS 05/14/17

There are blow dryers in every stateroom. There are outlets near the vanity you can use for your own hair dryer. No clothes iron provided or allowed.

This is not a new question. Really, the same answer applies to both irons and hair dryers. Irons are always a no-no. The current draw is a severe fire hazard. The same goes for hair dryers. The cruise line will have them in your stateroom, and you should use theirs as they are taking the current draw into consideration when they select them. If you have a dryer that does not work well enough, they usually have slightly better ones if you ask.

Most people go aboard a ship and worry about sinking. The biggest danger is fire. You do not want to be the person who causes a fire and deaths aboard a ship! Use the ship's dryer, and skip the iron. By the way, some lines do have irons in their self-service laundry rooms.

This is not a new question. Really, the same answer applies to both irons and hair dryers. Irons are always a no-no. The current draw is a severe fire hazard. The same goes for hair dryers. The cruise line will have them in your stateroom, and you should use theirs as they are taking the current draw into consideration when they select them. If you have a dryer that does not work well enough, they usually have slightly better ones if you ask.

Most people go aboard a ship and worry about sinking. The biggest danger is fire. You do not want to be the person who causes a fire and deaths aboard a ship! Use the ship's dryer, and skip the iron. By the way, some lines do have irons in their self-service laundry rooms.

The current draw has not much to do with it. The hot element, or hot surface of the appliance is what is dangerous. If the cruise lines thought they could get away with banning hair care appliances, they would, but they ban all other heat sources, and that is the best they can do. Even a ship supplied hair dryer can cause a fire if left on too long, which is why most have a button that must be pressed to keep it on, unlike the switches on most personal dryers.

I'm the guy who fights the shipboard fires, and also fixes the electrical system when it breaks down.

Sailed on Liberty last summer. There is a hair dryer, in one of the drawers in the vanity/dresser. It's pretty weak, but I have short hair and it's fine for me. I take a hair band and wrap it a couple of times on the handle where the button is that you have to press to keep from having to hold it down. It doesn't have a diffuser. My daughters have long hair and they take their own travel dryer. It's pretty powerful for a tiny little thing and works great for them. There's an outlet on the vanity to use for your hair dryer. No irons or clothes steamers are allowed. We carry a bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release (travel size) and spritz a stubborn wrinkle then smooth it out. Works great. We will hang a few things in the bathroom and turn the shower on and "steam" the wrinkles out that way. Works great too. You can send an item out to be pressed if you have something that really gets wrinkled badly but we usually carry things that don't wrinkle...no linen. For a man's dress shirty, you leave it in the thin, transparent bag from the laundry and just lay it on top in the suitcase folded in half (hanger and all). It will come out just fine.