Sydney Hotel Sticker Shock

diane.in.ny

Where did you find the "flash" sale?

Found it on the hotel website. A fellow cruiser posted a heads up regarding the flash sale on our Roll Call. I immediately went on the hotel website, noticed sale was still available and booked a room. Believe this was sometime in Sept. Not sure how often this deal is offered.

I just returned from Sydney. We stayed in Potts Point at Hotel Challis which was a very good deal compared to the Quay's prices. We paid $113 US per night. Taxis are relatively inexpensive. We paid $14 from the Quay to Hotel Challis. Lots of restaurants and cafes nearby, the area is safe, a Big Bus and grocery stores are just a 5 mins walk. The hotel is clean, quiet, the rooms are ensuite, and has good TripAdvisor ratings.

So, you can do Sir Stamford for $350 or Hotel Challis for $133+ $14AU taxi ride. It is about a 15-20 min walk from this hotel to Circular Quay.

Thank you for this recommendation. I was able to book a 1-night stay for $144 AUD for Oct 2018.

I have just started looking for a hotel for a 2 or 3-night pre-cruise stay. We have been to Sydney before and done most of the tourist stuff so just looking to come in early to 1) not worry about flight problems and 2) recover from jet lag.

And the prices are making my mouth drop open.

We don't need anything fancy. Just clean and comfortable.

A couple I've looked at include The York and the Tank Stream. They have good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Any opinions or other suggestions? I was wondering if it might make sense to stay across the harbor for less expensive accommodations. I understand it is supposed to be easy to get from there to the ship terminal but I still have to figure that out.

TIA for any and all assistance.

We're also looking for a hotel 2-day pre-cruise at Sydney from 15 Jan to 17 Jan boarding on Sun Princess. Would like the accommodation close to the OPT so we can just walk to the terminal. We don't care much for bells and whistles but just clean, safe and comfortable for a budget of $150-$170/day. Is the OPT at Circular Quay, The Rocks or Darling Harbour? Also, prices on hotel sites are they AUD or USD? Much thanks!

We're also looking for a hotel 2-day pre-cruise at Sydney from 15 Jan to 17 Jan boarding on Sun Princess. Would like the accommodation close to the OPT so we can just walk to the terminal. We don't care much for bells and whistles but just clean, safe and comfortable for a budget of $150-$170/day. Is the OPT at Circular Quay, The Rocks or Darling Harbour? Also, prices on hotel sites are they AUD or USD? Much thanks!

The OPT is off George Street in the Rocks, the. Lowest would be the Holiday Inn, but not at that price I don’t think, we were there this week $270 aus.

It will vary by site if it’s US$ or Aus$ but if it’s the hotels own site probably Aus.

There is a YHA not far away that may fit your price range.

Otherwise Travelodge might fit, but it’s not overly close, walking distance if you have no health problems.

We stayed in the YHA and it was great. Good rates, everything close by, nice atmosphere, interesting people, wonderful roof terrace with opera view!!! Rooms were clean and safe but of course very basic.

Gesendet von meinem F5321 mit Tapatalk

We stayed in the YHA and it was great. Good rates, everything close by, nice atmosphere, interesting people, wonderful roof terrace with opera view!!! Rooms were clean and safe but of course very basic.

Gesendet von meinem F5321 mit Tapatalk

Yep basiv but a good price (for Sydney anyway)

Does anyone know anything about Mariner's Court in Potts Point? It is very reasonable, has good ratings and includes a hot breakfast.

I have to say I don5 know it, but it looks OK, you are a bit out of town, so transport might be a little problematic. But Woolomooloo is a pretty nice area now days.

Another suggestion - stay in the burbs. the train station is right where the ship docks. We stayed in Bondi Junction, 20-30 minutes from downtown Sydney, and also 20 minutes to Bondi Beach by clean, easy bus. If you can walk 5k and don't mind steps, the Bondi to Coogee walk is superb.

Another possibility is the Blue Mountains. You can take the train into Katoomba. Its beautiful. If you've already spent time in Sydney, both of these alternatives are easy to get to. Our hotel in Katoomba was The Carrington, a Victorian beauty. And in Bondi Junction Quest Bondi was very reasonable, and includes a kitchenette, was half block from the train station, and surrounded by shopping.

We had booked right on Darling Harbour but the price was very high so I kept looking. Just today found a lovely apartment for half the price at Meriton Suites Mascot so I switched. The Mascot Station is right down the block, 20 minute ride to Circular Quay. Shuttle2Go charges $6 AU per person from the airport to the hotel instead of the $50 we would have paid. Suits us fine since we stay in at night anyway after a long day of sightseeing. If we were young people wanting to go clubbing at night maybe not. Otherwise I agree that a short commute can save lots of money.

For people who have perhaps seen Sydney and are just looking to wind down, we stayed here when our renovations were being done and loved it. It is out of Sydney but 30 - 40 minutes away by Ferry and in a lovely setting with restaurants everywhere.

http://www.questapartments.com.au/properties/nsw/manly/quest-manly/overview