Freedom of the Seas - San Juan, PR - Southern Caribbean

I just wanted to know about the boarding process in San Juan at the Pan American East/West pier for some of the cruisers that have gone on Freedom of the Seas.

- How long does it normally take for the boarding process from the time you walk in until you're on the ship?

- What time can you start boarding?

- What is it like inside the pier through the boarding process and which pier does the Freedom normally dock at, East or West?

- When does the ship normally leave the port?

I was just there a couple weeks ago on Adventure of the Seas' last cruise from there. From the time we walked in until we got on the ship was probably 15-20 minutes. We stepped onto the ship at 11:30. The ship didn't leave until around 8:30. I will be doing Freedom this November and expect the same thing more or less.

On the Freedom now. Not sure about the East/West dock. We arrived at 11:30, dropped off our luggage outside with the Porter, filled out paperwork, went right to the counter (no line) and were on board by 11:50. Traffic was an issue though, so plan for that.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Forums mobile app

San Juan can be a zoo if you get there too early. There is not much room in the waiting area and they stack people in. There is no designated area for suites or an C&A area. They open the gates and it’s everyone onboard at once.

Hopefully, they will change that with Freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, we are sailing in 15 days out of San Juan on the Freedom.

We are sailing at 8:30. RCI said we CANNOT get off the ship in SJ once we have checked in; other passengers have said that is nonsense-they have done it.

We'd like to drop out stuff off and perhaps (big perhaps) get off and wander around SJ some, before returning before 7 pm.

Anyone know if we can do this?

So, we are sailing in 15 days out of San Juan on the Freedom.

We are sailing at 8:30. RCI said we CANNOT get off the ship in SJ once we have checked in; other passengers have said that is nonsense-they have done it.

We'd like to drop out stuff off and perhaps (big perhaps) get off and wander around SJ some, before returning before 7 pm.

Anyone know if we can do this?

We've done that several times, should not be a problem.

Note that the pier is not near Old San Juan.. You will need to take a taxi to Old San Juan.

San Juan can be a zoo if you get there too early. There is not much room in the waiting area and they stack people in. There is no designated area for suites or an C&A area. They open the gates and it’s everyone onboard at once.

Hopefully, they will change that with Freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those going in the next few weeks- the west pier check in area is going under renovations. We were also on the Adventure repositioning cruise, and asked how much longer the changes would take- they thought just a few more weeks- which should be pretty soon. We go back in July on the Freedom, so it will be interesting to see.

But that work makes it a little bit more of a zoo than normal.

Also, the elevated pier part where you *should* be able to board the ship is ALSO being worked on- as damage from Imra and Maria are still being repaired. No idea how long that will take, hopefully that will also be done by July. This makes boarding with all of your luggage in tow a little harder, as you can't walk across to the other end of the ship to find some less packed elevators.

Hope that helps for the ones sailing in the very near future.

Thanks-we have had a port day-really short one-in SJ a few years back. Didn't get to see much-walked to the closest fort and wandered around closer to the pier. My best friend's son and DIL were there for the day on a port visit and told us to do the Bacardi tour. They did it on their own at a fraction of the cost, so we may do that. That said? We will be up and out of our house by 6 am, so everyone may just want to NAP! :D

We've done that several times, should not be a problem.

Note that the pier is not near Old San Juan.. You will need to take a taxi to Old San Juan.

I believe RCCL departures in San Juan are from the Pan American pier which is closer to the convention center than Old San Juan.

Our Jewel cruise in February, 2017 left from this pier. We left our hotel in Condado at 11 am and were on the ship by noon. Our departure had C&A lines (we were gold at the time) but remember all of this is pre last years hurricanes.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the earliest you can get off the ship on debarktion?

Thanks so much,

Leslie

First self-assist guests are usually getting off the ship around 45 minutes after arrival.

I was just there a couple weeks ago on Adventure of the Seas' last cruise from there. From the time we walked in until we got on the ship was probably 15-20 minutes. We stepped onto the ship at 11:30. The ship didn't leave until around 8:30. I will be doing Freedom this November and expect the same thing more or less.

I hope to hear you guys are boarding via the gangway on deck 5 I think it is. While the inside of the terminal was in pretty good shape, the repair of the gangways was just starting in May.

portdamage2.jpg

I hope to hear you guys are boarding via the gangway on deck 5 I think it is. While the inside of the terminal was in pretty good shape, the repair of the gangways was just starting in May.

Oh man, that does not look good! I don't know if I ever saw a picture of the gangway after the hurricanes.

Oh man, that does not look good! I don't know if I ever saw a picture of the gangway after the hurricanes.
The terminal looked about 80% to me, looks like a lot of cosmetic work to do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Same with the Jewel in March. Very quick process.

portdamage2.jpg

Uh, that's a picture of the terminal that Celebrity uses. The boarding parts for the Freedom are damaged, but not to that extent. And they were being worked on in Feb and May when we were there.

...This makes boarding with all of your luggage in tow a little harder, as you can't walk across to the other end of the ship to find some less packed elevators.

Hope that helps for the ones sailing in the very near future.

Sailing in a week so interested but what do you mean by "boarding with all your luggage in tow"? It's been a while since we cruised Royal but all our prior cruises had the cruise line loading the luggage from the port. The only thing we "had in tow" was our child and a carry-on bag. Luggage always shows up at the room... eventually. LOL

Sailing in a week so interested but what do you mean by "boarding with all your luggage in tow"? It's been a while since we cruised Royal but all our prior cruises had the cruise line loading the luggage from the port. The only thing we "had in tow" was our child and a carry-on bag. Luggage always shows up at the room... eventually. LOL

We carry all of our luggage on. And I know we are not the only ones.

So boarding on deck 1 poses a problem relative to doing the same on deck 4.

If it sounds odd to you, that's fine. But we've been very happy doing that for +30 cruises. We don't bring as much as the majority of people do.

Uh, that's a picture of the terminal that Celebrity uses. The boarding parts for the Freedom are damaged, but not to that extent. And they were being worked on in Feb and May when we were there.

You are correct, this photo was taken from the bow of Jewel, I didn't walk to the side to inspect those gangways as closely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Just off the Freedom yesterday. We arrived at the pier on 06/16/18 around 11:00. The doors were open and there was no line. This was the easiest embarkation. We immediately checked in and walked onto the ship. I did not see any damage worth reporting.