Véranda Suite Couch

D999

Not a trivial question at all. The couches on the Odyssey and Quest were ridiculous, like rocks, painful. Do pax, most of whom are seniors, really like them? What were they thinking? After my first trip I brought along an inflatable Thermarest so we could sit on them without muscle and bone pain.

Unfortunately, the sofas on the Encore and Ovation are very hard and uncomfortable. Are they fold out sofa beds? I never checked to see. These sofas are impossible to sit on for very long. I cannot imagine why they were chosen by SB. Does anyone have some insight?

All of the suite seating on Sojourn is shockingly unusable for anything but short stints. Have contemplated bringing a verandah chair inside, but Seabourn would be decidedly unhappy if I put a table chair outside to make room. Big reason why I'd think twice about doing an extended cruise.

I learned how hard the sofa is (on Ovation) when I decided to watch a bit of TV while lounging on the sofa while my husband took a nap (it's nice to be able to pull the curtain). BUT, the sofa was SO hard, I could not lounge on it. I tried sitting on some of the bed pillows, but that was a bit awkward.

The only thing we could think of is that fossil style petrified couches are more likely to last longer than soft, comfortable seating, before they start sagging, both because of the hardness and because few, especially women, wish to sit on them, thus saving the cruise line money.

I mostly sat on the bed ( onto which I had them put a topper , reserved in advance, as it was also hard without it, though not as bad as the couches)

The overall furniture trend on cruise lines is going in the direction of harder, stiffer, and less comfortable for older people. I also do not like the rounded, very short, c-shaped seats in Observation lounges so many cruise lines have, as they are upright and poke right in the middle of the back when you sit. I go for the softer couches outside SB Square or the few big leather style soft seats in the Obervation lounge, and bring a cushion to the MDR seats. Colonnade chairs are fine.

Oddly, the best, softest, most luxurious chairs on lines are in the smoking lounges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are no smoking lounges on the Encore and Ovation. As I recall, the other chairs in our suite were leather and ok for seating while having breakfast etc. I did like the furnishings in the Observation Bar on Encore and Ovation. The chairs and sofas there are comfortable enough.

I think you are right that these stiff sofas will not sag.

If you are like me, and wondering if sofa and couch are two words for the exact same thing, read here: https://www.nestandhome.com/blog/couch-vs-sofa-difference/

DW, unsolicited: Who tested these couches and said "lets buy a thousand of these"?

Probably a very young athletic person with no ailments who was told to save some money and thought “these are cheap and just fine, deal.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But, I have to say, I really enjoyed the decor and comfort of the Observation Bar on both the Encore and Ovation. Many happy hours spent there---early in the morning with Camomile tea, a 4pm tea time, later, for cocktails before dinner, at sail aways, etc. It's a truly lovely space.