Using cash for sail and sign

AmyNcutt

How does it work if I am using cash for the sail and sign card? I don't want to have it attached to my debit card or any credit card. So do I pay up front and they give me the leftover money at the end if there is any leftover?

The first opportunity you have to put cash in your S&S account is at the terminal during check-in. Or you can wait until you get on board at either Guest Services or one of the kiosks. If you run out and want to put more in the account, just go back to deposit more. If at the end of the cruise you have any left over deposited with cash, go to GS or a kiosk and cash out. If you don't cash out on board, they'll mail you a check for the remainder, as long as it's $10 or more. If less than $10, they donate it to St. Jude's.

We ALWAYS use cash for our Sail & Sign card. Carnival recommends $200 per person, but we usually just put down $300 then add to it if needed during the cruise. If there is any left in your account, you can go to Guest Services on the last night of your cruise and close it out, getting any money left in it immediately. Just keep tabs on your account so that you don't get low.

We always use cash. Either put the money on at check-in (depending on the port), or do it at the kiosk/guest services desk when you board. At the end of the cruise, if your balance is less than $10, it will automatically be donated to St. Jude unless you specify otherwise.

• 4 months later...
I'm expecting to use cash on the islands as well. Any idea how much will be needed so I don't put it all on our account on the ship??

What are your plans and how much of those plans have you prepaid?

On board you will need funding for the auto-gratuities, right now $12.95/passenger/day ($13.95 in suites). It will be your choice if you wish to buy any non-gratis soft drinks, alcohol, or beverage package; ship sponsored shore excursions; spa treatments; speciality dining; photos; and on board souvenirs, most of which can be prepaid or pre-funded prior to boarding.

On shore will you need a cab to get where you want? Look to book "off the dock" excursions? Buy duty free liquor or tobacco products? Rent equipment? Many ports, other than window shopping the immediate docking area, will cost you at least something and that something can change port to port or even high-season/ off-season in the same port.

We've already paid for gratuities. We plan to taxi around the islands. Plan to bring water and snacks with us but of course will prob buy a drink or two. I'm not too worried about souvenirs unless buying them for family members. I guess there's no way to know how much to bring. You are right it would vary greatly from one place to the next and depending on what we do. It's going to be interesting to try to be frugal. LOL