Disembarkation time on Seabourn

eastwoodboy

After some 15 years it is time for me to try Seabourn again and I am trying to remember disembarkation procedures.

On my usual cruise line there is no problem in leaving at 8.00 and I assume the same would apply on Seabourn. This would enable me to make the flight of my choice at Barcelona which I have used many times before.

Would someone be kind enough to confirm 8.00 is quite usual.

8am is usually fine, however there have been a couple of times when it's been later than that due to local official formalities. Both of those were in Florida at Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Every other port, including Barcelona, an 8am disembarkation was no problem.

On our last cruise (Ovation disembarking in Stockholm), disembarkation was delayed a bit due to port issues. We were not in a hurry, but I know some passengers were. There were several messages apologizing for the delay. It was after 8am when the first passengers were able to leave the ship.

I think guests were asked to disembark by 10 or 10:30am on our recent SB voyage. On our voyage, passengers were asked to disembark in color coded groups initially---and then an announcement that anyone could disembark.

Agree with previous posts — unanticipated things happen in port. It could be anything from local pilots or customs personnel arriving late, malfunctioning gangways or equipment for offloading baggage. We’ve seen all of these happen on disembarkation days. These delays are outside Seabourn’s control, and make for very unpleasant end-of-cruise memories for passengers who cut things close.

Once on Seabourn, we were scheduled on a late morning flight. We made our flight, but it was very stressful and we’d would never do it again.

Save yourself avoidable stress: don’t book an outbound flight that departs before early afternoon.

All our recent cruises on Seabourn (until last autumn, our latest) meant that at a 'normal' port, as Barcelona usually is, disembarkation starts about 8, and they really like you to be off by 9.30. As you will know, it is a reasonably short drive from the ship to the airport, so a flight around noon or even a little earlier should not be a problem. Out of your suite by 8 anyway, but no problems with a slow breakfast and room to sit around until getting off, if a bit later. I have seen people still on board with hand luggage after 9.30, but suspect they have asked specially at the Square for permission to stay on a while.

8 am is typical, although I typically allow buffer time on flight booking if possible if the consequences of missing the flight are serious.

If it means I will later also miss my long connection flight to the west coast of U.S., for which I have carefully advance selected seats, and with no possibility of a rebook until the next day, I want more margin. This happened a couple years ago, disembarkation was late but then birds has gotten into the engine of the first plane we were supposed to be on, and delays then led to my missing the last flight to U.S. out of Munich and an unpleasant overnight in a local airport hotel the airline sent me to. Things happen with frequent travel, at ports, in traffic, and at airports.

If I were just flying on an hour or two to another destination in Europe with many rebook options, e.g., flying home to UK, or on to another touring city, and did not need to absolutely be somewhere soon after getting home, if it does not work out to disembark at 8 for some port problem reason and thus make your flight, consequences may less likely to be serious.

Ideal would be to calmly spend a couple days in the disembark city, allowing sleep-in and late disembarkation, but for many this is not an option.

I am a repeat SB guest but I cannot recall the latest disembarkation time.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Brian

Experience only on Odyssey class ships, they like everyone to be off by 9.30am. However on our last cruise - which arrived in Miami- they asked everyone to leave by 9am. Again, I believe they were anticipating either a CDC inspection or such.

I have remembered what delayed our disembarkation on our recent June voyage. The apparatus which carries the luggage off of the ship was not working. I think the delay may have been about 30-45 minutes. So--it was after 8am.