Sun toCuba

Dawg67

We have a mini-suite on the 11th deck for the 9/3 cruise. I'm concerned about the noise level and foot traffic being on the Pool & Spa Deck." Did you find this to be an issue?

I'm not the OP but have had a mini suite on the Sun previously and there was no noise. Very quiet area.

Agree with DAKA. The Highlights tour is a joke. Basically, the highlights of Havana are a decrepit fort, a cemetery and a parking lot. The most entertaining aspect was the commentary by the Loyal Party Member serving as the guide. Other passengers comments indicate any walking tour is slightly more interesting.

Also be aware the Tropicana excursion is a miserable experience. It's blocked at 4 hours for a 90 minute show. And, despite the ~$70 fee, one still has to pay ~$5-15 to take pictures.

This is how it breaks down:

1. 20-30 minute bus ride.

2. 15 minute 'tour' of a restaurant? or something, still not sure.

3. 75 minutes waiting seated in the outdoor venue, in 90 degrees, 95% humidity, and no breeze with a glass of warm sparkling wine and a bucket of ice. At an unremarkable point, 1 server came by to take order for something. Not sure what since the question was Spanish only.

4. Show starts promptly at 22:00.

5. Around 22:30, one can per guest of warm local cola is place at the head of the table. Guests are expected to pass them, and all future service items, down. The cola is apparently safe, but I wasn't about to even touch the ice, though it was amusing to watch the other guests attempt to use the completely non-functional ice tongs...really, how do you mess up ice tongs?

6. Around 22:45, one bottle of rum per 4 guests is passed around.

7. By this time, the temperature has risen by at least 5 degrees.

8. Shortly after the rum, bowls of peanuts were placed on the table. I presume they were peanuts but since it was in the middle of a number, the lights were out.

9. The Finale concludes at exactly 23:30, but there are still closing numbers.

10. At 23:32, while a performance is still ongoing, the guides wave their groups to stand and exit the venue as the band plays and dancers are on stage.

11. 20-30 minute bus ride back. At least there was no traffic.

The show is a wonderful example of Communist Spectacle. Huge scale with dozens of dancers and giant colorful costumes, but with little depth, just different large colorful costumes. Looking closely, you can see the questionable material quality and lack of basic maintenance, especially in the leggings or other accessories. It's like an arms parade where you know that impressive looking missile can't really fly.

If you want to see it, you can do so for maybe half the NCL price by taking a cab, though the tour does pretty much guarantee good seating.

The crew was very efficient at checking the liquor on our return.

We have a mini-suite on the 11th deck for the 9/3 cruise. I'm concerned about the noise level and foot traffic being on the Pool & Spa Deck." Did you find this to be an issue?

No. We were in same area. Did not notice the pool or spa deck at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could someone please explain the differences in the two main dining rooms?

Thank you.

Seven Seas is the larger of the MDRs and is open for breakfast every day and open for lunch on sea days. It’s in the Aft of deck 5 and has windows on three sides.

Four Seasons is the smaller of the two, is midship off the Atrium on Deck 5. Less windows obviously. I’ve read that’s it’s less formal than the Seven Seas so maybe men can wear nice shorts at dinner??

It is open only for dinner. Menus are identical in both restaurants.

Our friends tried 4 Seasons one evening early in the cruise and reported back the ambience wasn’t as nice. We never ate there ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seven Seas is the larger of the MDRs and is open for breakfast every day and open for lunch on sea days. It’s in the Aft of deck 5 and has windows on three sides.

Four Seasons is the smaller of the two, is midship off the Atrium on Deck 5. Less windows obviously. I’ve read that’s it’s less formal than the Seven Seas so maybe men can wear nice shorts at dinner??

Our friends tried 4 Seasons one evening early in the cruise and reported back the ambience wasn’t as nice. We never ate there ourselves.

Men can wear shorts in Four Seasons but not in Seven Seas. One night Four Seasons had a 20 minute wait for 2 people because of the relaxed dress code. The two restaurants have the same menu.

We will be in 1208 in August, can’t wait. Have no desire to do the night tour to Tropicana, any other suggestions?

We sail this Monday (June 3) and felt the same way. We didn’t want to see some big production show but would prefer to find small local places with live music to experience real Cuban nightlife. Our tour guide will give us some suggestions and I have done a ton of research and have a list of bars/clubs/restaurants we can visit.

We have a day tour booked and after that we will return to ship to freshen up and head back out for the evening.

Will post our experience when back home.

Men can wear shorts in Four Seasons but not in Seven Seas. One night Four Seasons had a 20 minute wait for 2 people because of the relaxed dress code. The two restaurants have the same menu.

We were on the Sun from Seattle to Port Canaveral & ate in the Four Seasons almost every night. We arrived at 4:45 - 5:00 and never waited more than 5 minutes on our 18 day cruise.

Just off the Sun, wonderful time!

It was obvious that the ship was upgraded and the staff all seemed happy, never a sad face or unkind comment.

Food was Ok to good... The Japanese "steakhouse" was superb, more food than you can eat. The Mexican place is where you go to Teppanyake (sp?) and the bar serves great margaritas, some cost but the "regular" one was great and the price was right - Free!

Key West we did not get off due to having to use a trolley/conch train AND the rain... raining sideways!

Cuba was a blast and we used "Blexie" for our tour - driver and guide in a 57 Chevy (with A/C!) for $130 - plus tip ($160 for us).

blexie100588@gmail.com

A great time and I do recommend Blexie! Cuba is "checked" for me...

We had a mini-suite and sadly I think we are hooked... Sad because of the price, but the bathroom made it worth it. Big tub ( I am 6-1 and wide shoulders, had a nice soaking bath!) The bath was a separate area in the cabin with a door into the area. It had place for the wife to do makeup, nice closet with room to change and behind another frosted glass door is the bathtub and toilet.

The cabin was very nice as well with bed/sleeper sofa and area with more drawers, refrig, place for writing (with chair) and cabinets above for whatever. Did I mention that there was another makeup mirror/mini desk right outside the bathroom? If you had more than one person wanting to do makeup you had two!

Did the Sky last year and either because of the mini-suite or upgrades the Sun was a much better cruise. I would do another cruise on Her, maybe a bit longer.

Just got off the Incredible Sun to Cuba cruise. Embarkation and debarkation was a breeze. Our cabin (1207) was great. Located on the 11th deck it was close to everything. The all inclusive was great. Just walk up to the bar and order your drink. For that matter just ask any of the waiters for a drink and they will get it for you. Food was good, service great, room attendant superb and no negatives. Ask a question and I will try to answer. The Tropicana Show in Havana was the highlight and highly recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was it real smokey with cigar smoke at The Tropicana show?

May have a problem. Show is a little over one and a half hours and probably a 30 minute drive to the port. Then you have to go through Cuban security and customs. Don’t know. If it is a ship excursion they will hold the ship for you.

May have a problem. Show is a little over one and a half hours and probably a 30 minute drive to the port. Then you have to go through Cuban security and customs. Don’t know. If it is a ship excursion they will hold the ship for you.

We returned to the ship around 10:30-11 pm and we were literally the only ones in the port building. (Possibly because our ship was not leaving until 6 am next morning). The security agents waved us through and barely even looked at our passports. Took no time at all. We didn’t go to one of the shows though. We went out for dinner, drinks and music at a local bar and taxi’d back.