Thermal Suite Pass - Norwegian Star. Is it worth it?

top_frog

I was researching the thermal suite pass for our upcoming cruise on the Star to see if this is something that we want to do. Has anyone purchased this in the past and can comment on their experience?

It appears to me that the Thermal Suite amenities vary from ship to ship and the one on the Star might not be as good as how they advertise it on the website. We would love a nice quite place to relax and read and get away from the craziness near the main pool, but we don't want to pay a bunch of money for a small crowded area that doesn't offer much in return.

Thanks!!

Yes you will love it. We just got back and the Star even has a Female only lounge with huge windows to watch the ocean. They have chairs that everyone can sit in also. I liked the cooler water pool to get in also (that the Getaway didn't have). Have Fun!!

I was researching the thermal suite pass for our upcoming cruise on the Star to see if this is something that we want to do. Has anyone purchased this in the past and can comment on their experience?

It appears to me that the Thermal Suite amenities vary from ship to ship and the one on the Star might not be as good as how they advertise it on the website. We would love a nice quite place to relax and read and get away from the craziness near the main pool, but we don't want to pay a bunch of money for a small crowded area that doesn't offer much in return.

Thanks!!

Based on what you want it will be prefect.

Both the Dawn and Star (sister ships) have a lap pool which is nice. Not the biggest in the world. I've seen people complain about overcrowding, but have never experienced. Can't speak to women's locker area, but the men's side has Japanese hot and cold plunge baths for the hardy or foolhardy.

This is one of the things that sold me on NCL.

I was going to ask this same question but I looked up videos on youtube and there is a really good one. I was going to spring for it for me and my daughters but after watching the video I'm not.

There is a lap pool, hot tub. I don't know what the other tub is called but it was a bubble one. and regular lounge chairs to look out the window. Also another room to sit and look out the window. Basically we decided it looked like a hotel pool area. Now I haven't been in it but the video was really specific. I think the Star has been in dry dock lately??? Was the it updated any and this video was filmed before?

Anyway I would look on youtube.

We really like the Spa area on the Star and Dawn. My wife cannot be in the sun, so the hot tub and lap pool are perfect for us. Plus, we can sit together and chill out looking out the big window.

Most of the other Norwegian Spa areas have segregated areas so we cannot be together.

I read that there is a limit of 60 guests that can get a spa pass. So most days it is not too crowded, especially on port days which we plan to use the spa the most.

We did have bad experience where the hot tub turned into a huge gab fest with several people trying to talk over the sounds of the whirlpool jets. It was not a very relaxing atmosphere in the spa that afternoon.

• 2 months later...
Yes you will love it. We just got back and the Star even has a Female only lounge with huge windows to watch the ocean. They have chairs that everyone can sit in also. I liked the cooler water pool to get in also (that the Getaway didn't have). Have Fun!!

Do you remember what hours they are open?

It will be worth it. I like the spa on the Gem and the Star. I have never experienced too much crowd on the Star and it has the quiet room where you are able to sit and read. The worst spa for me has been on the Jade, crowded, no quiet room and uncomfortable.

Edited by qtaromar1970

The best money you can spend. Never crowded with exception of last sea day (but not really) when folks suddenly remember they bought the pass.

The bubbly thingy is a therapy pool. Both male and female locker rooms have steam and sauna. Don't know about plunge baths in women's side. If you cabin shower is smallish, you can use the locker area.

Great place to relax, nap or read. NO KIDDIES!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the DAWN and have booked the STAR for the Baltics later this month. I always do the SPA pass because it feels awesome to jump into the therapy pool, then the lap pool, then shower (you're supposed to shower first oops), then steam, then sauna, then another shower before dinner. It's an hour routine and after a day of being in the sun (walking or playing) it's a treat. That being said, the Spa on the newer ships (Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and Epic) are much nicer because of mere size. But the DAWN (and STAR) is big enough to enjoy. If you want a quiet place to go read, it's perfect as well as you look out over the back of the ship. My only complaint in all these spas at sea, the chlorine you breath in because of not having ventilation. The EPIC is the best because they actually have an outdoor patio area so fresh air comes in. You'll enjoy! You deserve it!

• 2 months later...

Thanks!!

We (DH & I) were on the Star last November. Had an inside cabin so I booked the spa for the week for my quiet place with a view. The layout of the Thermal Spa, as you are facing aft is: pools in the center of the ship; ladies lockers on the left; gents on the right. There are three pools – one a hot tub, one a Thalassotherapy pool, and one a lap pool where the water is cooler. There are showers in the pool area. Padded loungers face the wake through a wall of windows.

Also on the aft one to each side, are quiet areas with couches and chairs. There rooms wrap around the corner of the ship with a floor to ceiling view of the sea. They each are separated from the pool area with a door that closes. Looks like one for gents, one for ladies but my husband and I shared one several times with other people. At those times no one minded an opposite sex on that side, but the rooms had been empty when the group entered. (We would of course be respectful if someone entered who may want gender alone space.)

The ladies lockers had a sauna and the usual lockers, shower and prep area. We did not have access to the cold plunge pool as that was in the gentlemen’s locker area. (Discrimination!)

I initially booked the spa pass because we were sailing in November and I wanted to have a place – beside my inside cabin- if the weather was bad. We like hot tubs, but not fighting the crowded soup on the main decks. The Thalassotherapy pool is awesome. Spent time in it each day. After a long day in port it is heaven to sink into the warm, pounding water.

I will continue to get the pass in the future if the ship has a nice area; some ships won’t have enough facilities to be worth it. I go on Epic this November and am waiting for my 90 day window to open so I can jump on that purchase. I believe the current pricing is 179 for a seven day cruise if you purchase in advance and 199 on the ship. I do not know if NCL is charging a gratuity of 18% on top of that.

9 days on the Star this month was $129 advance purchase price. (The older ships are cheaper than the Epic, Escape, etc.) No extra service charge is added to the price of the spa pass.

It was open until 11pm every evening except the last day, and one night in the middle of the cruise, when it closed at 8pm.

The only bad point compared to other smaller ships is that there are no heated tile loungers, and since the Star was just refurbished last year, they won't be adding them anytime soon. But the lap pool is nice, and not all ships have that in the spa.

I can confirm that the two relaxation lounges off to the side are unisex. There are no signs saying they are single-sex, and I see no reason for them to be segregated. It's not an area where people should be unclothed etc. But if people need an area like that, they should let the staff know and maybe they will add signs if enough people request it. (But they have these signs on the Dawn, and people ignore them anyway.)

• Like 1

I enjoyed the Star Thermal suite spa more so than the Jade to me the Jade is not that good. The Star has a lap top and "quiet" area only if they are not doing a presentation about something. I recommend it don't think about it too much..Have fun on your cruise

I have nothing of substance to add, just a question:

I purchased a spa pass for my upcoming Dawn cruise in October. What does one wear in there? Bathing suit? What if I just want to read on a lounger?

Yes, you wear a bathing suit, however if you just want to read then clothing is acceptable, but they always say in the public quiet area to wear bathing suit.

• 2 months later...

We are booked for the 21 day cruise on the Star from Hong Kong to Sydney and then for the 12 day cruise from Sydney to Auckland. We have purchased the Thermal Spa Pass on the 21 day cruise for $179 per person which works out to about $8.95 per day per person. NCL has just posted the fees for the pass on the 12 day cruise which are listed as $229 per person or about $20.80 per person per day. Is this just another cash milking effort on NCL or is this driven by some other obviously marketing issue? The nickel and timing on NCL has ensured that we will never set foot on an NCL ship in the future after this cruise begins on Jan. 16 and ends on Feb. 18.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When we were on the Jade a few years ago, single day passes were not available, but you could purchase a pass after a couple days on your cruise and they would pro rate the cost of the pass for the shortened time. You do run the risk of the passes selling out though, they limit the number they sell.

We (DH & I) were on the Star last November. Had an inside cabin so I booked the spa for the week for my quiet place with a view. The layout of the Thermal Spa, as you are facing aft is: pools in the center of the ship; ladies lockers on the left; gents on the right. There are three pools – one a hot tub, one a Thalassotherapy pool, and one a lap pool where the water is cooler. There are showers in the pool area. Padded loungers face the wake through a wall of windows.

Also on the aft one to each side, are quiet areas with couches and chairs. There rooms wrap around the corner of the ship with a floor to ceiling view of the sea. They each are separated from the pool area with a door that closes. Looks like one for gents, one for ladies but my husband and I shared one several times with other people. At those times no one minded an opposite sex on that side, but the rooms had been empty when the group entered. (We would of course be respectful if someone entered who may want gender alone space.)

The ladies lockers had a sauna and the usual lockers, shower and prep area. We did not have access to the cold plunge pool as that was in the gentlemen’s locker area. (Discrimination!)

I initially booked the spa pass because we were sailing in November and I wanted to have a place – beside my inside cabin- if the weather was bad. We like hot tubs, but not fighting the crowded soup on the main decks. The Thalassotherapy pool is awesome. Spent time in it each day. After a long day in port it is heaven to sink into the warm, pounding water.

I will continue to get the pass in the future if the ship has a nice area; some ships won’t have enough facilities to be worth it. I go on Epic this November and am waiting for my 90 day window to open so I can jump on that purchase. I believe the current pricing is 179 for a seven day cruise if you purchase in advance and 199 on the ship. I do not know if NCL is charging a gratuity of 18% on top of that.

Please can you explain what the 90 day window im first time and booked on star.in May ,thanks

I booked this on the Star last summer. My brother absolutely loved it because he had an inside cabin and this gave him a nice private relaxing area with views, no crowds and weather protection. I had a balcony, so it wasn't as great for me.

My big issue was no cold plunge in the ladies locker room. That was what I was looking forward to the most. I used to always do a hot tub, sauna, cold plunge, hot tub sequence, but have't had access to that for many years now. For me, the cold plunge is the joy half of the experience. Without it, the sauna is all suffering. I could have used the pool, but that would have involved putting my wet swimsuit onto my sweaty body and staggering out there half out of my mind in front of everybody....not happening. Major disappointment for me, though most people probably wouldn't care.

Oh well, there's a hot tub and the bubbly thing with lounge chairs in it. Both were great and never so crowded I couldn't use them. However they were overchlorinated and bleached out my swimsuit. I could live with that, but the chlorinated bubbles constantly bursting in my face were a buzzkill. OK with no bubbles, but that doesn't happen often when sharing with others. My brother is very tall so he didn't have a problem with that either. I'm not exactly short (5'7") though.

The area could have been managed better. It appeared that chase lounges were being saved with towels by people in the tubs/pool/sauna/getting water, so there weren't enough chase lounges to go around. Then, after spending a while in the area, it became clear that half of these were just abandoned towels. There was no signage telling people to take their towels with them/not leave them on the loungers and no attentive staff to make up for that.

So for me, with a balcony, it wasn't really worth it....maybe as a day pass. If I had an inside cabin it would have been worth it. If the issues with agressive highly chlorinated bubbles in my eyes and nose were resolved and it was clear which lounge chairs were actually available, it would have been worth it even with the balcony room, especially if the cruise was during a somewhat cold time or place. With cold plunge....heaven.