Question About Potential Visit to Coba

ucfchuck

So, it seems like the most popular Mayan ruin trips for visitors to Cozumel are:

-Tulum (Impressive with the view by the water)

-Chichen Itza (Far, but THE esteemed Mayan Site, and a must for some)

-Coba (A bit more under the radar, can climb to top, very impressive still)

In terms of impressiveness of sites, it would seem to go

1. Chichen Itza 2. Coba 3. Tulum. I would guess Tulum gets the most tourist traffic though followed by Chichen Itza (though much of that is not from cruises)

I enjoyed Tulum, but at same time I've already been there. Also, visiting Teotihuacan inland, apart from of course the pretty waterfront setting, was on just a totally different scale (literally perhaps 50-100x the size and depth). Chichen from what I understand would provide a similarly thorough experience, but personally, I'd like to do that full justice and not the 6 hours on a bus and one hour of rushing around the cruise offers.

Therein lies the appeal of Coba. It does appear to be about a half hour further off than Tulum, but yet still 45 minutes on each end shorter than Chichen Itza would be, making a day trip doable even with the limited amount of time within port (8-5). It looks more impressive than Tulum with the high pyramid, and more remote/authentic than either of the other two, best of all, allowing you to hike to the top.

Previously, when looking at Carnival's excursions (we have a trip booked for fall), I saw that they had an excursion over to Coba, but I no longer see that listed, perhaps lack of popularity, or not profitable enough. However, I do see one listed from Playa del Carmen. A 6 hour trip which claims to include 2.5 hours (plenty of time!) at Coba site, however, it does include the ferry across. The logistics it includes in the schedule would be

8 AM: Arrive Cozumel

9 AM: Ferry to Playa del Carmen

9:40 AM: Meet Group/Depart For Coba

11:30 AM: Arrive at Coba (Google Maps agrees, with about a 25 minute margin)

2 PM: Leave Coba (it doesn't mention lunch, and says a tour guide once there is $30)

3:45 PM: Arrive at Playa del Carmen (about a 20 minute window on this end)

4 PM: Ferry to Cozumel

5 PM: Ship Leaves Port

This does seem to be a good option for doing this site, and mentions a cost of $67 USD pp (not bad, though a tour guide would cause it to be perhaps 82 pp with 2, 77 pp with 3, and so on), but I guess I do have my questions about whether this is the best option out there, and if this would perhaps be too risky/cutting it too close (perhaps we tell them we only want 90 minutes at the site in order to not risk making it back? With the goal of getting back to Playa for the 3 PM ferry instead?) When we took our Tulum excursion the ferry was included so I am not sure what the logistics are of getting a ticket whether doing so in person or in advance, and whether we would get shut out if we weren't there early. Anyone else that has experience with this, your advice would be appreciated :)

First, what port are you departing from? Time of year?

This is important because you may need to account for difference in ship time and Cozumel time (Eastern Standard Time all year round)

Second, add 10-15 minutes to both ends of ferry time. Accounts for delays in departures and loading/unloading of vessels.

Third, even if ship time and Coz time are the same, attempt to take a 3PM ferry. 4PM won't cut it if cruisers are requested to be back on board by 4:30PM Ship.

Fourth, at Coba, if excessively hot, consider renting a bike or trike top go around. But do climb the temple, if they still allow it.

Several street vendors around, find one offering a horchata to drink.

I wouldn't from a cruise..... it is a beautiful site, but it is no where as impressive as any of the sites visited from Belize. If you cruise ports at Belize City, do one of those. Or if your ship stops at Progreso, go to Chichen Itza or Uxmal. BOTH are must-do. The sites are much larger and transportation to and from is much easier.

I have been to Coba, but it was on a land vacation from Cozumel, with a tour company. It was nice, but only a few large structures, a ball court, etc. Plus it is off in the jungle, loooong day of travel. The ferry schedule is the big factor for me. If you miss a ferry, you are waiting for the next one an hour later...or sometimes there is zero ferry for an hour as they are all rented out for cruise ship excursions. It happened to us. We ended up sitting at the Playa station for almost 2 hours waiting for the next one.

Personally, if I am on a cruise, and want to take an excursion to the Mainland, I will ONLY use cruise excursions. I have been going to Cozumel for 18 years on land trips, and honestly the ferry schedule is flaky and I really hate depending on it.

Thanks JohninDC. Unfortunately the only option that appears to leave me with is Tulum. Which is nice, but at same time, we have already been there. I know there are Mayan sights on the mainland, but from what I understand they are not particularly elaborate and one could finish seeing them in perhaps a half hour or so. That said, I am still weighing that as an option in combination perhaps with something else. The idea of taking a submarine or a helmet dive are modestly appealing to me, but I am not scuba trained/can't justify that cost, and I'm not that much of a beach person either honestly.

That is a good point. Though, will the ship move to Cozumel time or will it simply stay at EST for DST? We are sailing in Thanksgiving week November. As for where are ship is going to be docked, I really don't know. Is it possible by contacting Carnival to find out in advance?

That's a good point. Well, what they mentioned on the excursion guide, is that we could shorten our trip in order to potentially get back in the time we need. So, perhaps only 90 minutes at Coba, which would still seem to be enough. Thanks for the bike recommendation-what all else do you recommend seeing there, besides getting to the top of the pyramid? That is of course a major part of it's appeal. Sounds great on the Horchata! Thank you!

Unfortunately we aren't going to Progreso... I wish. So, you would say the Belize City sights are better? The ones we would have the option to go to (from the ship at least) include Xunantunich, Lamanai, and Altun Ha. Heck, it almost looks like Tikal (3:54 per Google), would be doable if someone had a truly full day there. If you think any of those are better, I will bear that in mind. Thanks!

I'm thankful for the diverse perspectives in this thread. You seem to confirm one of my major concerns, ferry logistics can be a problem. More than before, I'm beginning to consider your idea of pursuing the Belizean ruins if they are more impressive/more convenient to the port. I guess the reason I had thought of Coba while in Cozumel is that as far as nature is concerned, I prefer more rugged stuff/mountains over beaches, and Belize City seems to have more "other" stuff I could pursue for my tastes. For example, the city itself, while by no means any must see world city, was a national capital for a good length of time, and has a functional "true" downtown. It appears to be perhaps not unlike a smaller version of Nassau, if my memory serves me correctly. It also has what appears to be the most impressive sites for doing snorkeling/snuba tours. I suppose if we do ruins in Belize, we do have some options in Cozumel, and while it's touristy, one could certainly still do worse than walking through shopping areas, and eating significantly better tacos and produce than I am used to having. It's just that Cozumel isn't exactly the most authentic place lol.

Edited by ucfchuck

Belize --- Xunantunich and Lamanai are both MUCH better than Coba. By far.

They are both a 2 hour bus ride each way, but your tour guide gives you a fantastic talk about the country, past and present, the history of Mayans, the food, etc. You get there before you know it.

A few Xunantunich photos:

2015Xunantunich4-XL.jpg

the tour guide leads you all the way to top, stopping at various points to discuss things. The very top has amazing views!

2015Xunantunich23-XL.jpg

after the time at the ruins, you go to a nice local restaurant for lunch, which is really good. The bus ride back goes fast as most people just nap.

robin

ucfchuck,

I'm assuming by your screen name, you are departing out of one of the Florida ports.

Since the US Congress has NOT yet revised the time zones to permit Florida to stay on year-round DST, by November your ship time and Cozumel time will be the same.

Carnival does not shift time to port time but stays on the same time as the cruise's port of origin.

AQRobin makes a good point about looking into the Belize ruins. Altun Ha and Xunantunich are well maintained sites. You can climb all over both. You can easily do Altun Ha via a private vendor and be back at the tender pier by noon with plenty of time to explore "downtown" Belize City--not that you'd really want to. :p (Church, cultural museum, Brodies, on other side of swing bridge. Art Museum and embassies on tender pier side of swing bridge. (Nerie's for Lunch).

Xunantunich is a full day venture, ship excursion recommended just to be on safe side on return. Includes lunch. From the top of the tallest temple, you can see Guatemala--which looks like Belize from the air.:p

Lamanai is in the jungle, less excavated than the others, including Coba. Takes a river trip and a short van ride to get there. It too is an all day affair and some private vendors have pretty decent reputations on making it back to the tender pier in plenty of time for the last tender.

More on all of these on the Belize board.

Thank you all for your thoughts on Belize and the Belizean ruins. I'm trying to plan the trip holistically, so we do something different with each day. My thinking to this point had been:

Miami-Sail Out Port: Where we'll get most of the urban/city break portion of the trip in

Grand Cayman-Beach Day. Kinda relaxed, maybe just strolling up 7 Mile Beach

Roatan-Hiking and sightseeing at Carambola Gardens

Belize City-Snorkeling on the barrier reef*

Cozumel-Coba Pyramid*

However, the fact that the Belize ruins seem to possibly be more impressive and also offered by the cruise line gives me 2nd thoughts. That said, I don't know what I'd do in Cozumel if not doing pyramids-another beach day? Or perhaps something else exciting? A food tour, or perhaps something on water here, like a helmet dive, or the submarine ride? Trying to decide, but we do have plenty of time to do so! I just like to establish a plan in advance. Thanks again!

In Cozumel, look up the offshore snorkeling via catamarans. The head down to the Palancar reefs. It's deeper than the Barrier reef in Belize, but a good alternative. Also you can take a taxi ride to either Money Bar or Sky Reef and snorkel from shore as those places have reasonably decent iron shore. Beaches there are small relative to other West side beaches, which don't have iron shore. Chankanaab Park is also an option as there are many things to do there and you can shore snorkel from the northern end of the park's beach.

I might also suggest that you look into beach snorkeling off West Bay beaches in Roatan when you are finished with the hiking. The reefs are right there or you can hire a small boat to take you out further.

Isn't cruise planning "fun"?:D

Cozumel offers good snorkeling -- Fury catamaran and Eagle Ray are often suggested on this board as well as CozH2O.

You can also snorkel form the shore at several spots - Money Bar and Chankanaab both offer good snorkeling from the shore.