Having packages delivered to the ship on a World Cruise

Smokeyham

Has anyone had any experience having packages delivered to the ship on a world cruise? For instance, if the power cord for your computer becomes damaged and you need a new one, or other similar events.

I know the ship will have an agent at each port, so I am thinking that if you ask at the Purser's desk for their contact information for a port you will calling into a week or so you could have a parcel Fed Ex'd to the agent and they could bring it on board.

Any thoughts on this?

This will vary by cruise line and by port.

The cruise line we sail provides us with a set of ports and addresses where items can be sent to.

Once on the ship you could ask at the reception desk.

Pad the dates because if the package arrives late you are out of luck.

I could not envision having a power cord shipped but I could see having something like medicine shipped.

Somehow I would think there might be a solution that would not involve having one shipped.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

Very good point about leaving extra time for the package to be delivered. Hopefully one has packed everything you need, but I could see instances where something gets lost or forgotten and you'd rather not spend precious time ashore hunting down something.

Haven't had anything shipped when a passenger aboard a cruise ship, but we have shipped packages to our son, when he worked aboard cruise ships.

Just needed the Ship Agent's address and as Keith mentioned leave a few days for delays. The Agent delivers the ship's mail, so an extra package is nothing extra.

If you call the line before you sail, they should give you the Port Agent information for sending packages. Overnight stops are safer if that is possible or major Cities.

I've done it in the past - via FedEx - and it's worked out for me. My packages have only contained paper - mail etc.

Peggy

If you call the line before you sail, they should give you the Port Agent information for sending packages. Overnight stops are safer if that is possible or major Cities.

I've done it in the past - via FedEx - and it's worked out for me. My packages have only contained paper - mail etc.

Peggy

Thanks so much.

I left my camera at home on a world cruise. With the help of the concierge on the ship on day 4 I arranged for a friend to Fed-ex it to Barbados to arrive on day 10 of the cruise. It was sent to the port agent in care of the ship and our name.

From there the ship headed down the coast of South America. I wanted something else sent but was warned that the chance of it arriving was low. If not stolen, there would be a high risk of being held for unknown time in customs.

I left my camera at home on a world cruise. With the help of the concierge on the ship on day 4 I arranged for a friend to Fed-ex it to Barbados to arrive on day 10 of the cruise. It was sent to the port agent in care of the ship and our name.

From there the ship headed down the coast of South America. I wanted something else sent but was warned that the chance of it arriving was low. If not stolen, there would be a high risk of being held for unknown time in customs.

Great point about deciding which countries you can reliably have things shipped to. I have a friend who lives in South Africa. She comes to the U.S. once a year and carries things back with her. Her experience has been that items that she tries to have shipped there are either stolen or held up for long periods in customs. I'm glad you were able to get your camera. It would be sad to take such a journey and not be able to take pictures!

In the end if you can avoid shipping something I would.

It is all very tricky.

Sometimes it will work to get something to the ship and sometimes it won't.

If it is something you can do without or if there are other options such as making do by purchasing another similar type of item I would do just that.

Keith