Noordam VA4054 and VA4053

richardukcruise

Hi. I have received VA4054 from a guarantee booking. I can't see why this stateroom is classed as VA. There must be something I am missing? I am aware that on Nieuw Amstedam for example that this is a huge balcony, but not on Noordam. There is always a reason why a cabin will be a higher category so I'd be greatful if someone could explain. Thanks:)

Edited by richardukcruise

It used to be that the higher categories were on higher decks, but this past Spring there was a wholesale re-categorization on all HAL ships. To try to increase revenue, the most popular locations were raised and those that did not sell well (e.g. high and far forward or aft) were lowered. The former deck 5 VE and VF which sold well are now VA! :eek: Most deck 4 VD were raised to VB or VC, but a few of the more centrally located went to VA. 4054 is one of those. It does at least have a 7.5 ft deep balcony.

Edited by jtl513

Hi. I have received VA4054 from a guarantee booking. I can't see why this stateroom is classed as VA. There must be something I am missing? I am aware that on Nieuw Amstedam for example that this is a huge balcony, but not on Noordam. There is always a reason why a cabin will be a higher category so I'd be greatful if someone could explain. Thanks:)

the cabin looks wider to me on the deck plan than the ocean views next to it.

I was in that cabin on the Zuiderdam on my very first HAL cruise. It is a regular verandah cabin. Not any larger than the others. The drawback with that cabin is that it is right next to the lifeboats, thus obstructing your view to the left. The verandah does not go out past the lifeboat to the left so it is not the greatest view. I agree, that cabin should not be categorized as a VA because it does have drawbacks.

The good part was that we were in Alaska and it was too cold to stay out there for any given time except to take pictures.

It was a guarantee and I did not know any better. I would never knowingly choose that cabin. Other than that, the cabin was fine.

Terri

I think it may be SLIGHTLY deeper. Maybe by less than a foot... but it's also a little more midship than other decks. But these rooms aren't nearly as justifiable as VA's as all the rest of the VA's and the same rooms on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

• 2 years later...
This is a picture of the verandah of 4054 on the Zuiderdam. it is the same as the Noordam. Wish I knew how to make it bigger.

I hope it helps.

Terri,

It does help a lot! Also the pic blows up ~9x (3x wider and taller) when clicked, that's plenty to judge from for such a narrow area. Can look at a full scale photo of a Vista ship and "insert" the detail shot at the right place.

I am considering booking this cabin by choice! Sure I wish its category reflected its view and placement, but I'm thinking its location will mean it's somewhat sheltered when the ship is moving along at sea? We have had two balconies that we used for a few hours on one day out of 2-week cruises. It's always either too hot, too cold, or too windy! All I want is a place to sit and enjoy a drink and the company of my traveling companions.