Dream Cove Balcony Question??

Markmom18

The one and only time we booked a cove balcony we had more than have our bill refunded to us. It didn't just sound like rolling pins, it sounded like bowling balls being thrown on the floor above us. And this was before the ship even started moving. Yes, we were below the galley. After that experience I not only pay attention to what is around us, but also the higher up the better. I am a horrible sleeper so I can't be near elevators, gym equipment, crying babies etc., etc. Also, the last 2 days it smelled like a sewer backed up on the whole 2nd deck. Never again! And it was even a travel agent that booked this trip for us. What an a hole!

The one and only time we booked a cove balcony we had more than have our bill refunded to us. It didn't just sound like rolling pins, it sounded like bowling balls being thrown on the floor above us. And this was before the ship even started moving. Yes, we were below the galley. After that experience I not only pay attention to what is around us, but also the higher up the better. I am a horrible sleeper so I can't be near elevators, gym equipment, crying babies etc., etc. Also, the last 2 days it smelled like a sewer backed up on the whole 2nd deck. Never again! And it was even a travel agent that booked this trip for us. What an a hole!

Wow, well that is something to think about! I do look at the Deck plans before I book. Normally tend to book Empress Deck cabins. With my hubby we like the 9C Aft Wrap Cabin. I always smell that lovely "poop" smell during our cruises. We got back Sept 2nd from an Oasis cruise, extended Balcony. Oh yeah, even the Oasis stank at times. Inside, O.V. Etc etc I just think it's part of a cruise vacation. But, I have to be honest in saying I never had a cabin that smelled for 2 days.

For more experienced Carnival cruisers, is this info on deck 2 a common problem of a lower deck? I did a PT, no stinky but the anchor-? Noise made me say Never Again! So, I get some things are deal breakers.

Thank you Jennifer & Mike

REPORTED Cove balcony rating - still need to verify location by ME:

GOOD: 2252 (under guest services),2248, 2337, 2314 (no lifeboat),2281 there is a gap between the lifeboats,

BAD:2204

The people in 2314 apparently never looked up. Cabin 2314 on the Dream absolutely has a lifeboat above it. I booked that cabin because it was completely under a lifeboat.

Boy, Jennifer & Mike's honest post about their experience with the stinky cabin & Deck 2 in general is now on my mind!:o

I was so excited to book the Cove, but yeah BUT. Was this a fluke experience?? There were all the other great reviews. More than the one stinky review. Sigh ....

:confused::confused:

Bobbi

Boy, Jennifer & Mike's honest post about their experience with the stinky cabin & Deck 2 in general is now on my mind!:o

I was so excited to book the Cove, but yeah BUT. Was this a fluke experience?? There were all the other great reviews. More than the one stinky review. Sigh ....

:confused::confused:

Bobbi

A few cove balconies(mostly starboard) on the Dream class have a smell issue. I haven't seen very many reports of portside cabins with a smell. I know from personal experience that cabin 2314 did not.

I did smell a hint of something around the forward stairwell on deck 2. I smelled it more around the forward stairwell on deck 3. The smell was never awful. It was just mildly unpleasant. I either didn't always notice it or I got used to it.

Yes. I wanted to be able to enjoy my balcony. I hate being in the sun for extended periods of time. I don't understand the appeal of baking and roasting in the sun.

Skin cancer issues here and thinking about a cove since it provides some shade. First I had heard about picking one under a lifeboat for additional shade.

Thanks for the tip.

My Update on the Cove Balcony:

I've done mock bookings for a couple of days and there are no C.B. that are NOT under the galley. So, I had my son make the call to the Friends & Family phone number today and booked a regular balcony on the Empress deck. My cruise isn't for a 6 months. Which is when I book 99% of the time.

And, for the 1st time, they are Sold Out of FTTF. I get it strictly for the FTTF Guest Services Line. I am a cash only gal. I have a credit card, but once the cruise is over, I want no bills coming in the mail. All paid beforehand & during.

I'll keep looking from time to time. But, if it's just plain 'ol sold out, that's what it is.

Thank you everybody. I'm not giving up on a C.B., I'll just have to plan ....what ...a year in advance??

:) Bobbi

We have cruised in Cove Balcony cabins on the Dream, Magic and Vista. We are booked on the Breeze for a 14 day on the Breeze. All the comments about spray are true. Just need to wipe off the chair with your towels.

We always book cabins under Guest Services area or the forward part of the MDR above.

Out of 40+ cruises, we have experienced brief 'smells' but that is pretty common on all ships.

Couple years ago when we were in a Cove Balcony on The Dream we booked 3 weeks before sailing. Had a cabin not under the galley. Never heard a sound from anywhere. Never smelled anything bad. Got a really good deal booking at that late date.

We were in a Cove Balcony on the Dream in 2015. We really enjoyed it, however, as great as it was, I do prefer a regular balcony a bit more. I enjoy sitting out on the balcony in the morning and at night and because it is all metal while sitting it detracts from the view. The second reason I prefer a regular balcony is because I don't believe we enjoyed as much sunshine as I get on a regular balcony. Having said that, if that was all that was available or the price was really good, I would definitely do a Cove Balcony again.

We are actually going on another cruise on the Dream the first week of March 2019 and have booked my first ever extended balcony on the back of the ship. I love to sit and look out over the back of the ship, so this will be a real treat for me. I can hardly wait. The Dream is my favorite ship and having this new cabin should be wonderful. On the plus side, we are leaving from my favorite port -- New Orleans -- it really never gets old for me!

With regard to weather, we have been lucky on all of the cruises we have taken either in March or early April and have not had any weather issues. The only weather issue we ever had was one that we took out of Baltimore in October of 2017. We all still loved it but I actually saw glasses and dishes moving when eating meals. On the plus side I have never experienced any seasickness so even the rough waters didn't put me off.

Hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy whatever trip you take and cabin you choose.