Chef's Table Disappointing

txcruiser

Just got off the Triumph yesterday. Following the advice of many on these boards, I booked the Chef’s Table upon boarding the ship. It was confirmed for the last evening on the cruise.

While the evening was enjoyable and the service very good, I must say the food was disappointing. It arrived lukewarm. Maybe this is because of the distance between the library and the kitchen. Regardless, if I am paying $75 for a meal, I expect it to be top notch.

It is a very long evening and by the time you leave the table you are so full, all you can think about is crashing on your bed. I can’t say I left the table feeling great.

Unlike many on these boards, we did not get a signed or unsigned cookbook to take home. There was no mention of a cook book.

My advice would be to save your money and enjoy the food in the dining room, which is plenty good. If you want to splurge, order from the specialty items on the bottom of the dining room menu.

Edited by txcruiser

Sorry it wasn't that good..and wondering why you didn't get the cookbook...that was a real plus for us. I do agree by the time you leave all you can do is waddle back to you cabin...I should not have eaten my filet...but felt bad not...Chef was standing right at the head of the table and we were first couple at the long table:D Also finally had to say no to any more wine:eek:

We did have one lady who crashed and burned about two thirds of the way through..she just left and didn't come back!!

We did love it..but we were on the Pride..it was held in the disco..right next to the dining room...Not sure I would do it again...but had to try it once!!

Just got off the Triumph yesterday. Following the advice of many on these boards, I booked the Chef’s Table upon boarding the ship. It was confirmed for the last evening on the cruise.

While the evening was enjoyable and the service very good, I must say the food was disappointing. It arrived lukewarm. Maybe this is because of the distance between the library and the kitchen. Regardless, if I am paying $75 for a meal, I expect it to be top notch.

It is a very long evening and by the time you leave the table you are so full, all you can think about is crashing on your bed. I can’t say I left the table feeling great.

Unlike many on these boards, we did not get a signed or unsigned cookbook to take home. There was no mention of a cook book.

My advice would be to save your money and enjoy the food in the dining room, which is plenty good. If you want to splurge, order from the specialty items on the bottom of the dining room menu.

Sorry you had a bad experience..........ours was top notch..would not hesitate to do it again

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. My experiences with the event on the Triumph were the best of the 4, so far, that I've done. Most recent was with Chef Allan Gomes onboard Triumph's June 25th cruise. I thought it was great. I did not notice the cookbook situation since they've been giving them only to the ladies. Btw, the cookbook is WAY out of date anyway.

To me, the $75.00 is well worth the trip into the galley during meal service. For some reason, I find that fascinating especially when something falls and breaks :D!! I like the Library venue, though you do feel sort of like a Zoo animal on display for people to gaze at as they walk by seeing all those chefs, etc.

I'm glad you tried it. I agree when you're on a ship without a Steakhouse, it is nice to select the "Steakhouse" entrees on the MDR menu now and then.

Edited by DaddySteve

Thanks for your honest review

I understand some love it but it has no appeal for me

I had a gal go all by herself on one of my cruises and she had a blast...she did get the cookbook and a signed photo of all the diners with the chef

I had friends do this on another ship and they also loved it

I personally was "meh" about the steakhouse....too much food for me...

and I don't think I would want to sit and eat for hours, not for $75

I might...might...do the steakhouse again ...but for ME the Chef's Table would be a waste. I personally think it is more for "foodies"....some here may "love" it but everyone should think it through for themself. JMO

I was on a ship with no speciality restaurants last year and didn't see any special items on the bottom of the MDR menu that cost money. Is that a new thing or is it only available on some ships?

It's a trial on 3 ships right now, Triumph being 1 of them.

Just did the CT on the Splendor in June. Good to do once? Up to you. Chefs were very cordial.

Held in a conference room near kitchen.

Too much food.

Too much time: 4+ hours (6:30 pm to 10:45 pm) included kitchen tour

Too much money for a family: $75pp + $15pp ($360 for us)

Don't particularly care for 5 chef's staring at me as I eat.

Advise: Use the bathroom before you go. Hard to excuse yourself.

All 14 attendees received signed cook books and 2 pictures (one from each table end)

Food was fine but not real hot and most didn't like at least 2 courses out of 7.

Wine was good.

Had a Magician for a while but he was interrupted by his radio way to much.

We have done the kitchen tour before which may have lessened the experience.

Mike

OP: It is too bad that the experience was not to your liking. I suppose that it is not for everyone. I have done the Chef's table on both the Elation and Triumph and fully enjoyed both. I look forward to going to it on the Magic in December.

While DH and I LOVE to eat and touring the kitchen and speaking with the Chef would be great, we booked the steakhouse and not the Chef's Table for our upcoming cruise, since neither DH or I drink and the emphasis seems to be on wine.

Interesting. We're booked in a few days on the Triumph and I'm really looking forward to it, but then again I'm a foodie :p I don't feel the need to eat everything, and there's no rule that says I have to clean every plate they set in front of me, though I've decided that I will try a bite of it all, even the stuff that I wouldn't normally eat. I like the idea of it being an experience - not just a meal.

I've read that they have stopped passing out the cookbooks entirely, not sure if that's true or not but it's quite possible. I'd like to have it even if it's outdated and may ask as they were included when we booked.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I did it on the Carnival Splendor in April (and on the Crown Princess in Nov 2010). I found it to be a great value for the money and when you consider the cookbook + photos and getting a gourmet meal (ours was hot) well worth the money.

Interesting. We're booked in a few days on the Triumph and I'm really looking forward to it, but then again I'm a foodie :p I don't feel the need to eat everything, and there's no rule that says I have to clean every plate they set in front of me, though I've decided that I will try a bite of it all, even the stuff that I wouldn't normally eat. I like the idea of it being an experience - not just a meal.

I've read that they have stopped passing out the cookbooks entirely, not sure if that's true or not but it's quite possible. I'd like to have it even if it's outdated and may ask as they were included when we booked.

I tried the Chefs Table for the reasons you noted here...taste and enjoy, pace yourself and enjoy the experience!

I did it in April and got a cookbook...not sure when they might have discontinued that or if its just on some ships and not others.

My Chef's Table experience on the Triumph last October was a mixed bag. I thought the food was fine...I got the cookbook & photo of the group...our venue was a small private dining room just off the MDR. But what was difficult for me was the fact that we were assigned seating at a VERY long table. I was the only solo cruiser, and they assigned me a seat at the very end of the table...so I had no one across from me, and the woman seated to my right was engaged with her husband across from her and the people to her right.

On the comment card at the end of the evening, I suggested that perhaps a round table might be better. ;).

I'm doing my 2nd solo cruise in 2 months...we'll see what happens this time lol.

While DH and I LOVE to eat and touring the kitchen and speaking with the Chef would be great, we booked the steakhouse and not the Chef's Table for our upcoming cruise, since neither DH or I drink and the emphasis seems to be on wine.

That's really not true. While there is wine served with dinner, it's by no means the focal point of the meal. In fact I've had more wine, and more varieties of wines, at restaurants in NYC offering "tasting menus". Just my humble opinion.

and the emphasis seems to be on wine.

Don't know what you mean as all we were asked whether we wanted White or Red. Brand/year was never mentioned. I drank sparkling water another had a coke and the wife drank coffee.

That's really not true. While there is wine served with dinner, it's by no means the focal point of the meal. In fact I've had more wine, and more varieties of wines, at restaurants in NYC offering "tasting menus". Just my humble opinion.

Don't know what you mean as all we were asked whether we wanted White or Red. Brand/year was never mentioned. I drank sparkling water another had a coke and the wife drank coffee.

Agreed on the wine.....not pairings by any means. Wine in abundance yes, but not a focal point. My boyfriend ended up getting Blue Moon.

White was a simple pinot grigio and I cannot even remember the red...emphasis was on the food...what inspired the chef to prepare it like he did and trying and tasting food prepared in a differant way...wine was served with the meal as an enhancement to the whole dining experience..but it was not high end at all...although enjoyable..it was the food..the chef.. and the setting that made it special:):):)

Edited by jbhcw

Just did the Chef's Table on the Sensation last week. Had a good time and the food was excellent. However, we did not receive a cookbook. We did receive a photograph with everyone and a copy of the menu. I enjoyed doing it once, but wouldn't do it every cruise.

Not true at all. I am a very light drinker. Had a sip of the champagne while in the kitchen and had a half of glass of wine during the entire dinner. The food is excellant. 7 courses of wonderful. While the filet mognon is good in the steakhouse, the one served at the CT puts it to shame.