Chef's Table Disappointing

txcruiser

Hubby, myself and kids, ages 19 and 23 enjoyed the Chef's Table 3 weeks ago and my kids are still talking about it! Their words...amazing! We had a Champagne toast in the Galley with 3 delicious appetizers. Then a walk through the kitchen, well I waved and told all the employees hello! Their faces lit up with a smile! We saw one of our outstanding waiters and we hollered his name. He gave us a huge grin! My daughter volunteered to help make the Chocolate Melting Cake and she was given a Chef's hat to wear! Our food was hot and each course was fabulous. We liked watching them decorate each plate. Yes we were full, but this is an experience we will never forget! We asked the Chef as many questions as we wanted. Also, my daughter was not allowed any wine or champagne, but that was OK by her and us! As I mentioned earlier, we did not receive a cookbook either, but photos and recipe for the CMC. My kids really really want to do this again.

We returned yesterday from an Alaska cruise on the Spirit. We did Chef's Table and were really looking forward to it. Like the OP, I was a bit disappointed. While the food was definitely better than what is served in the MDR, it was lukewarm and I didn't consider it extraordinary at all. We enjoy the MDR and think the food served there is good considering the sheer volume they prepare every evening. We love the steakhouse and eat there each cruise. Unlike the comment from a previous poster, the filet I had in the steakhouse was much, much better than the filet served at CT (though I loved the garnishes served with it).

I don't drink much, but did enjoy the Pinot that was served at CT. I would hardly say "it flowed" as they came around only a few times to pour, but that was fine for me. DD is 16 and they asked each time if she'd like wine, which she declined. As others have commented, the wine is definitely not the emphasis at the meal and if the food had been better (correct temperature would have made a lot of difference, I'm sure), we'd definitely book it again even though I don't drink much--it's about the food and the experience.

We received a call a couple nights before CT, confirming our reservations and thy asked us if we'd change to a different evening. I declined since we were looking forward to dining with a couple of people from our roll call. I mentioned that we were attending together and they seated us next to each other, but all on one side of the table, so we weren't able to talk during dinner. We talked with the people across from us, and they were enjoyable, but I would rather have been able to talk with the people we were attending with.

The highlight was the "surprise" from the chef that was served with the WCMC. It was excellent and had several elements, including a delicious raspberry sorbet.

We did receive a photo, but, sadly, no cookbook and we were verbally given the recipe for WCMC. CT was held in the disco, which may be why the food was lukewarm at best. We thoroughly enjoyed the galley tour and it was really interesting to see it in action.

The service was exceptional, and we did have a couple of waiters in addition to the chefs. Because there were a couple of waitstaff, one of whom was the server for DD and me and all evening, I did tip additional (hopefully it went to our server), but as previously mentioned, the tip line indicates the tip is optional.

Most of the attendees were couples, with the exception of DD and me and another mother and her DS (20 years old). All of the couples except one were 40+.

It was a very enjoyable evening and I'm glad we did it. However, DD and I discussed it, and we'll stick with the steakhouse on future cruises. :D

Cheers!

:D

Interesting. We're booked in a few days on the Triumph and I'm really looking forward to it, but then again I'm a foodie :p I don't feel the need to eat everything, and there's no rule that says I have to clean every plate they set in front of me, though I've decided that I will try a bite of it all, even the stuff that I wouldn't normally eat. I like the idea of it being an experience - not just a meal.

I've read that they have stopped passing out the cookbooks entirely, not sure if that's true or not but it's quite possible. I'd like to have it even if it's outdated and may ask as they were included when we booked.

I like your attitude. We are booked on the magic in Sept. Please come back and tell us how it was

From Carnival:

Chef’s Table - $75 FEE (including wine and gratuity)

This unique culinary experience is now available for groups of 12 guests. It includes cocktails and hors d’ouevres as well as a personalized tour of the galley in operation, followed by a multi-course full-service dinner created by our master chefs – all hosted by the ship’s chef de cuisine. The dinner takes place in non-traditional dining venues – such as the galley, library and conference centre -- which will vary by ship. Reservations can be made onboard through the Guest Services desk and the fee is $75 per person (including wine and gratuity.)

Thanks for the info...... notice it does not include a cookbook ?

So sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this experience. I sailed on the Triumph back in 2009 (before they had the premium entree choices or the Chef's Table) and I honestly didn't enjoy that ship much.

However, we sailed on the Pride on May 29th and we did both the Chef's Table and the Steakhouse. Both were fantastic. My skeptical husband said that the Chef's Table was the best meal he's had in 2011. We received a photo and signed cookbook (and yes, the cookbook is like 20 years old, but the recipes look fine).

I don't believe that the emphasis is on wine. I'm a wine enthusiast and the wines were pretty basic. They weren't bad, but I agree with others that the emphasis is on food, not wine.

Our dining venue for the Chef's Table was the dance floor in the disco and it was fantastic. It was both intimate and romantic and it was also close to the kitchen, so our food was served hot. We were close to restrooms (in case people needed a break). The four hours flew by in a flash and we did not feel over-fed or "stuffed". There were a few menu selections that I didn't love, but nothing was offensive or bad to me.

If you're a food enthusiast or an experienced home cook (or even a professional chef), I think you'll enjoy the Chef's Table. Go with an open mind and be prepared to taste food combinations that you'd never order for yourself in a restaurant.

I do not recommend this experience for children. There was adult conversation at the table and I don't think your average child would appreciate the menu. For $150 (plus optional additional gratuity) for two adults, we feel this was a highlight of our cruise. Without the upgraded dining options, we would not choose Carnival.

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Grand Princess.

One of the highlights of the cruise was attending the Chef's Table. The food was outstanding as was the presentation and service. It was an exceptional experience. Also, receiving a signed copy of the Princess Cookbook and 2 photos of us enjoying the experience was the icing on the cake (so to speak). We loved it.

My wife & I participated in the Chef's Table tour & found it to be outstanding!

The kitchen tour was good, snacks & champagne & seeing all the hard work they did was very enlightening.

The meal in the library was superior (the filet, as all the meat I've had on cruises, was OK but not Prime), the waiters & chef were great with stories & talk about what & how the staff worked to provide the food & service.

It was long & the "fishbowl" effect of being in the library took some getting used to but all in all the ambience was very good.

As for the 4hr timeframe, if you took away the tour, the meal was not much longer than you would get in a multi course meal in a fine restaurant, especially in Europe.

We found it to be the top one or two tours on any cruise we've had & are looking forward to another on our next cruise that we have already booked.

The only thing, I tried to book it when we booked with Carnival a couple weeks ago, but was told we can't book until we are on the ship.

I strongly recommend doing it if you like good food, service & the tour. Well worth the money.

We also received the cook book, pictures & papers. Nice touch.

Edited by tygar
add info

We are Platinum cruisers on Carnival. From our personal experience, and discussions with other guests, I (we) recommend that you only go to the Chef's table on ships that have "Steak Houses". Those ships are: The Conquest class, "Conquest", "Glory", "Freedom", "Valor", and "Liberty" The Spirit class: "Spirit", "Pride", "Legend", and "Miricle" The "Slendor" and the "Dream Class" The reason is, The food that is served at the Chef's table, is the same food that is served in the various Steak Houses, and is prepared by the Chef's of the Steak house. They are used to preparing the food and storing it as well. On the other ships, they are just not as well equipped to deal with, and prepare the food, and we noticed on the Imagination,(a Fantasy class) that the food had to be carried from the Galley, all the way up to the Library, nearly the full length of the ship. We had it on the Freedom, and the Legend and it was fantastic both times. We did a back to back on the Imagination, and were planning on doing it on the second leg, but got talked out of it by someone who had done it on the first leg. I think it would be wise for Carnival to limit the Chef's table to the Steak House ships, and just not sign up for it on the other ships, for $150 plus grats for 2, you have the right to expect a 5 Star meal.:)

If you really enjoy great food and service, I would suggest that you try a Celebrity cruise! I have been on several cruise lines and many ships. Holland America is very, very good also and my third choice for food would be Royal Caribbean.

As usual with ANY thread on here, people are giving out of date info. The fact that YOU got a cookbook on your cruise last year or even last month is not changing the fact that they seem to have stopped this. My guess : they ran out of them and they are not reprinting them (they were pretty much out of date anyhow I think, from the days when Carnival served Beef Wellington LOL)

I do think it is great when people post their experiences...both good/bad/mediocre....and also post the details.

The seating...and the time length...and the sheer amount of food does NOT appeal to ME. The descriptions really help

frankly for someone on a 3 night cruise I would also worry about "missing" other things, shows etc.

The ONLY time I would personally consider this would be IF I was (lucky) on a transatlantic or on one of the 8 night cruises that have a lot of sea days. Then it might be a "change" or an "event' in and of itself.

Everyone is different and the more detailed reviews help people to decide, so thanks for them. However.....the fact that YOU got a cookbook really means zip at this point. I think future chef table diners should certainly NOT count on a cookbook

As usual with ANY thread on here, people are giving out of date info. The fact that YOU got a cookbook on your cruise last year or even last month is not changing the fact that they seem to have stopped this. My guess : they ran out of them and they are not reprinting them (they were pretty much out of date anyhow I think, from the days when Carnival served Beef Wellington LOL)

I do think it is great when people post their experiences...both good/bad/mediocre....and also post the details.

The seating...and the time length...and the sheer amount of food does NOT appeal to ME. The descriptions really help

frankly for someone on a 3 night cruise I would also worry about "missing" other things, shows etc.

The ONLY time I would personally consider this would be IF I was (lucky) on a transatlantic or on one of the 8 night cruises that have a lot of sea days. Then it might be a "change" or an "event' in and of itself.

Everyone is different and the more detailed reviews help people to decide, so thanks for them. However.....the fact that YOU got a cookbook really means zip at this point. I think future chef table diners should certainly NOT count on a cookbook

I got a cookbook on our April Pride cruise...and IMHO...glad to have an out of print cookbook to add to my collection...as you said everyone has an opinion.

I don't think stating that someone received a cookbook on such and such ship on such and such date is giving out of date info....just stating that they got a cookbook:):):)

I got a cookbook on our April Pride cruise...and IMHO...glad to have an out of print cookbook to add to my collection...as you said everyone has an opinion.

I don't think stating that someone received a cookbook on such and such ship on such and such date is giving out of date info....just stating that they got a cookbook:):):)

Yeah it is giving out of date information since the NEW description of the event does NOT say a cookbook and since people are reporting they are NOT getting them

I had Beef Wellington and a Wine Sommelier on my first Carnival Cruise...complete with the chain around his neck <grin>

Heck, years ago Princess used to have the head waiter flambe bananas foster, cherries jubilee tableside...

I have been on cruises where we had skeet shooting off the deck

but NONE of that is happening now and won't happen in the future

so what is the point of posting it over and over and giving people false impressions??

Next time try the chef table on splendor, fantastic. We received a signed cookbook, and two pictures signed by the chef himself. The picture was taken at each end of the table so no one was missed. The food was hot, and delicious. Had a wonderful time. Also enjoyed a really nice magic show in between. I would do it over again. The tour of the kitchen was awesome, also included snacks, and champagne. Enjoy!!!

Next time try the chef table on splendor, fantastic. We received a signed cookbook, and two pictures signed by the chef himself. The picture was taken at each end of the table so no one was missed. The food was hot, and delicious. Had a wonderful time. Also enjoyed a really nice magic show in between. I would do it over again. The tour of the kitchen was awesome, also included snacks, and champagne. Enjoy!!!

Great....and are they still giving the cookbook??

I used to enjoy the Indian Taste of Nations day but on my last cruise it was gone. I used to like the fly in entertainment but last cruise...they replaced it with the Newlywed game (grr)

Things change....for most a cookbook won't be a deal breaker BUT future "chef table" participants should probably NOT expect one it seems

the "new" description of the event does NOT say cookbook

I was on a ship with no speciality restaurants last year and didn't see any special items on the bottom of the MDR menu that cost money. Is that a new thing or is it only available on some ships?

WOW what a refreshing idea....A cruise ship with an all inclusive food service with out all the add on charges and speciality extra cost food venues... I will book that ship if only to vote my displeasure to the way cruising is headed. ;)

WOW what a refreshing idea....A cruise ship with an all inclusive food service with out all the add on charges and speciality extra cost food venues... I will book that ship if only to vote my displeasure to the way cruising is headed. ;)

John Heald used to make fun of Royal for their "upcharge" steak on their menus....BUT now it is apparently on 3 Carnival ships that don't have the steakhouse

It is however....a CHOICE

you can choose it or not...your CHOICE...just like you can choose to eat in the steakhouse or NOT

I would personally like the "added choice" stuff....like pick a good lobster tail...without all the fuss and extra food in the steakhouse. Steakhouse is nice but wow...lot of food...too stuffed....it takes up a lot of time.

I know I personally find it pretty overwhelming and I would not even attempt the "Chef Table"....not everything is for everybody

CHOICES are nice :)

(which ships have the extra menu stuff?? I know Triumph does, but what other ones?? thanks in advance)

My daughter and I participated in the Chef's Dinner on the Caribbean Princess and it was...in a word...WONDERFUL. We had the head chef, the head of restaurants on the ship and the ship's CAPTAIN with us for the entire evening. Started with 6-8 appetizers with paired wines in the galley and ended with group photos and signed cookbook and both the food and wine in between were perfect. It was the highlight of the cruise for these two foodies.

As the song goes... Different strokes for different folks!

My daughter and I participated in the Chef's Dinner on the Caribbean Princess and it was...in a word...WONDERFUL. We had the head chef, the head of restaurants on the ship and the ship's CAPTAIN with us for the entire evening. Started with 6-8 appetizers with paired wines in the galley and ended with group photos and signed cookbook and both the food and wine in between were perfect. It was the highlight of the cruise for these two foodies.

As the song goes... Different strokes for different folks!

Glad you had a wonderful experience.

To me it's not about different strokes for different folks. Clearly most people who book this dinner enjoy fine cuisine and have high expectations for the evening. Every dinner is unique, and every experience is unique, and maybe some hit the mark more than others. For $75, in what is otherwise an all-inclusive cruise, I would expect one of the best meals of my life.

Also, some people's seating arrangements work out better than others. That is a big part of the evening. From the comments I have read, it seems a round table would be more conducive to social interaction for all participants.

Edited by txcruiser

Also, some people's seating arrangements work out better than others. That is a big part of the evening. From the comments I have read, it seems a round table would be more conducive to social interaction for all participants.

I agree with this. There was another person who ended up being from the same town as me. All the ladies were seated on one side of the table, and she and I were each on the ends, so in order to speak we had to basically talk over all the ladies seated in the middle of the table. Just a little awkward.

Sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience. Maybe it depends on which ship you are on. We did the Chef's Table aboard the Carnival Magic in Europe and were very impressed!!! The table was set up in the actual main chef's kitchen area and we were actually able to watch them put our meal and hordervours together. Watching them create each piece was entertaining and the food and wine a plenty. I tasted food I never had before and will probably never have again! We had a blast...but again, that was on the "Magic."

We did Chef's Table on Miracle 6/25 -- absolutely wonderful. Chef Wellington Dias was so interesting and NEVER STARED at us -- just there for questions and comments. Food was served with elegance and was always proper temperature. We absolutely loved the intimate room, fine dining, good company and trying something completely different onboard ship. It made us feel very special.

I do hope they will continue doing it, perhaps it's not for everyone and should not be looked at as a "specialty restaurant" --- but a specialty experience. Vicki & Bob:)

Note: This was our 6th Carnival cruise -- still not converts from RC -- but really feel as far as dining is concerned, this is a fine, elegant experience on a "Fun Ship".

Edited by vickila

It was our tip. My daughter is a waitress and we tip 20% of the bill.

Others say it is all ready included some say not but we tip. Been over discussed before.

We did as you did at both the steakhouse and the chef's table. We have no idea what the "tip" is, so we tipped 20% at each restaurant.

I don't remember if it was ever answered, but "pp" stands for "per person."