Chef's Table Disappointing

txcruiser

White was a simple pinot grigio and I cannot even remember the red...emphasis was on the food...what inspired the chef to prepare it like he did and trying and tasting food prepared in a differant way...wine was served with the meal as an enhancement to the whole dining experience..but it was not high end at all...although enjoyable..it was the food..the chef.. and the setting that made it special:):):)

The red at our dinner was very nice. A Black Opal Shiraz from Australia.

I should also note a couple of other things that I disliked.

I metioned the food being lukewarm as a complaint. The calamari , I thought, were soggy. I do like calamari, and I ate them, but they were nothing to write home about. Maybe they lost their crispiness in the attempt to keep them warm. Thinking about it, I'm not sure fried calamari should be served on 7 course meal.

The other complaint we had is that we were seated at one end of the table next to a mother and twelve year old child. This is not an evening to bring children. It should be excusively for adults. Needles to say we had no one to talk to but the child's mother. And of couse, half way thru the meal, the kid was over the dinner and placing his head on the table and falling asleep. It would have been more enoyable having other people our age to converse with. Other than the twelve year old, all the other couples were of similar age.

They had a CT the night before ours and we noticed it was all elderly couples. So Carnival did make an attempt to form groupings of similar age. kudos for that.

We've never done the Chef's Table so I need to ask... I know it costs $75pp. What is the $15pp for?

That is just the amount this person chose to tip. When they bring you the bill, there is an "Optional Tip" line.

It is really unclear if a tip is included in the $75 price you are paying. I asked when I reconfirmed the reservation and was told it was, but she didn't really sound too sure when she was answering.

From Carnival:

Chef’s Table - $75 FEE (including wine and gratuity)

This unique culinary experience is now available for groups of 12 guests. It includes cocktails and hors d’ouevres as well as a personalized tour of the galley in operation, followed by a multi-course full-service dinner created by our master chefs – all hosted by the ship’s chef de cuisine. The dinner takes place in non-traditional dining venues – such as the galley, library and conference centre -- which will vary by ship. Reservations can be made onboard through the Guest Services desk and the fee is $75 per person (including wine and gratuity.)

That is just the amount this person chose to tip. When they bring you the bill, there is an "Optional Tip" line.

It is really unclear if a tip is included in the $75 price you are paying. I asked when I reconfirmed the reservation and was told it was, but she didn't really sound too sure when she was answering.

The tip part is Carnival not giving the full story .

Included in the $ 75 is a tip of undetermined amount and than they encourage you to tip more.

They do the same thing with the steak house . Why they cannot tell you the amount of the tip is a big mystery.

We've never done the Chef's Table so I need to ask... I know it costs $75pp. What is the $15pp for?

It was our tip. My daughter is a waitress and we tip 20% of the bill.

Others say it is all ready included some say not but we tip. Been over discussed before.

The red at our dinner was very nice. A Black Opal Shiraz from Australia.

I should also note a couple of other things that I disliked.

I metioned the food being lukewarm as a complaint. The calamari , I thought, were soggy. I do like calamari, and I ate them, but they were nothing to write home about. Maybe they lost their crispiness in the attempt to keep them warm. Thinking about it, I'm not sure fried calamari should be served on 7 course meal.

The other complaint we had is that we were seated at one end of the table next to a mother and twelve year old child. This is not an evening to bring children. It should be excusively for adults. Needles to say we had no one to talk to but the child's mother. And of couse, half way thru the meal, the kid was over the dinner and placing his head on the table and falling asleep. It would have been more enoyable having other people our age to converse with. Other than the twelve year old, all the other couples were of similar age.

They had a CT the night before ours and we noticed it was all elderly couples. So Carnival did make an attempt to form groupings of similar age. kudos for that.

Thanks...you jogged my memory about what red it was...I agree a 12 year old at the CT is probably not the best idea unless they are real foodies..not many are...We were with all middle aged adults...dh and I were seated across from each other...table was on the wide side so most of my conversation was with the lady to my left...we were the first ones at the table...the Chef spent most of the night right by us explaining the dishes...I enjoyed that and did not feel self conscious at all eating while he talked...I think he enjoyed watching all of us enjoy his food:)

Edited by jbhcw

My Chef's Table experience on the Triumph last October was a mixed bag. I thought the food was fine...I got the cookbook & photo of the group...our venue was a small private dining room just off the MDR. But what was difficult for me was the fact that we were assigned seating at a VERY long table. I was the only solo cruiser, and they assigned me a seat at the very end of the table...so I had no one across from me, and the woman seated to my right was engaged with her husband across from her and the people to her right.

On the comment card at the end of the evening, I suggested that perhaps a round table might be better. ;).

I'm doing my 2nd solo cruise in 2 months...we'll see what happens this time lol.

I was seated the same way on both of my Chef's Table nights. Odd man out as usual, I am used to it so no big deal to me. Fortunetly both times were a fairly fun group, not crazy fun but certainly not booring.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. My experiences with the event on the Triumph were the best of the 4, so far, that I've done. Most recent was with Chef Allan Gomes onboard Triumph's June 25th cruise. I thought it was great. I did not notice the cookbook situation since they've been giving them only to the ladies. Btw, the cookbook is WAY out of date anyway.

To me, the $75.00 is well worth the trip into the galley during meal service. For some reason, I find that fascinating especially when something falls and breaks :D!! I like the Library venue, though you do feel sort of like a Zoo animal on display for people to gaze at as they walk by seeing all those chefs, etc.

We just went on the Triumph June 11th, and we also had Chef Gomes! (Love him ;)) We thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. I had decided beforehand that I would try whatever food was brought out to me, and I am so glad I did! Everything was delicious, but I didn't clean my plate at each course, which helped me pace myself for the evening. The Chef and his team were so excited about the meal and sharing the "how they do it" information. Their enthusiasm made everyone else just as excited as they were. They really made everyone feel special. We also got a cookbook and photo. It really was the highlight of our cruise!

We did the Chef's Table off the Liberty June 11. Although we did receive photos and a recipe of the chocolate melting cake, we did not receive a cookbook.

While we had a wonderful time and the food was delicious, it lasted 3 1/2 hours and we were stuffed.

Honestly, I thought the MDR food was MUCH better. I think the Chef's Table would be much better if it had small portions of everything. I was beyond full by the 3rd course. No one needs to eat 7 dinners!

We did Chef's Table on the Dream two weeks ago. We ate in the galley and everything was hot when delivered to the table. We did receive a cookbook. Wish I had know the tip was included because we gave an additional tip, but the service was outstanding as was the food. I think it would be a totally different experience not getting to eat in the galley--kind of defeats the purpose having to eat in another location. Part of the fun was watching all the other activity going on around us while we had the full attention of the Chef. According to the Chef on the Dream, it was his idea to start this experience, and now it's being adopted on all the ships. That might explain why he took such pride in the entire evening.

I am sorry the OP did not enjoy the CT experience. From what I've read, heard and personally experienced, I think that is the exception and certainly not the norm. We did the CT back in December on Triumph. I agree with others that Chef Gomes was an extraordinary host, and all 4 of us in our party truly were pleased with the experience.

As for specific "complaints" mentioned by others: our food was always served at the appropriate temperature, the calamari were not soggy, there was a lot of food but the chef "warned " everyone of that so they could pace themselves and you certainly did not have to eat everything on the plate; I admit it's difficult when you love food (like I do) not to at least try everything, I definitely made sure I ate lightly during the day since I knew I would be doing the CT that night

I enjoyed the setting in the library on Triumph, although I do admit that the gawkers were a negative factor...I can't say much, though, because two of the most obvious gawkers were my two nieces!

We got the group picture plus the authographed cookbook--both of which were very nice and appropriate mementoes of the experience...it will be disappointing if they have discontinued giving the cookbooks out...someone had posted that the cookbooks were outdated--I am not sure how a cookbook can become outdated...it is true that it may have first been published several years ago; however, many good cookbooks can have printings that span over more than one decade

As for the $75 cost, I think it is well worth it, but I understand how that could be extravagant for some...from what I remember I do think it was advertised that the $75 included gratuity...I do agree, however, that it was subtly communicated that an additional gratuity would be appreciated, and I was so satisfied with the service that I wanted to add an amount to the $75...I can't remember, though, how much I added

there is never going to be an excursion or experience (such as CT) that has a 100% satisfaction level for all...I think that the totality of the posts here on these boards demonstrates that the majority of people who experience the CT are very satisfied, don't regret participating (and often re-book on a future cruise) and feel the $75 was well worth the price

Our group of women did the Chef's Table on the Ecstasy last August and had an awesome time! So much so, that we've already booked the Chef's Table again for our August 6th cruise next month. I asked, through John Heald's blog, and received an email confirmation from the maitre'd, Freddy. We can't wait to do it again!

Just got off the Triumph yesterday. Following the advice of many on these boards, I booked the Chef’s Table upon boarding the ship. It was confirmed for the last evening on the cruise.

While the evening was enjoyable and the service very good, I must say the food was disappointing. It arrived lukewarm. Maybe this is because of the distance between the library and the kitchen. Regardless, if I am paying $75 for a meal, I expect it to be top notch.

It is a very long evening and by the time you leave the table you are so full, all you can think about is crashing on your bed. I can’t say I left the table feeling great.

Unlike many on these boards, we did not get a signed or unsigned cookbook to take home. There was no mention of a cook book.

My advice would be to save your money and enjoy the food in the dining room, which is plenty good. If you want to splurge, order from the specialty items on the bottom of the dining room menu.

Did you deal with the issue of lukewarm food ON the ship? After the fact is a little late.

OP, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your Chef's Table experience. We did it on the Ecstasy in December and thought it was phenomenal. All our food was delightful, and everything was beautifully presented and served at the proper temperature. We received an autographed copy of the cookbook at the end of our meal.

The only thing that lessened our experience was our group. It seemed to us that the majority of the people didn't really want to be there, and a couple of them were pouting throughout the meal.:confused: Attempts to make conversation were met with silence. There was a child in our group, and I have to admit I was a bit taken aback when I saw her, but she was very well behaved...just not big on dinner conversation.:rolleyes:

It's a LONG meal, and based on my experience it's great for foodies, but if someone's not into that type of thing I think they would be pretty miserable by about two hours in. We would definitely do it again, but probably only if we could sign-up with at least one other couple. We'd like to know there's somebody with us who enjoys long dinners and all that goes with them!

Edited by Cindy

I was on a ship with no speciality restaurants last year and didn't see any special items on the bottom of the MDR menu that cost money. Is that a new thing or is it only available on some ships?

We sailed on the Inspiration in March and ate in the MDR every night. Upgraded cuts of meat and, I think a lobster tail, were available for purchase at the bottom of the menu.

We did not choose this option. Nice idea for those ships without a steakhouse. We usually dine one night in the steakhouse on a 7 night cruise. Well worth the $30pp. :)

Did you deal with the issue of lukewarm food ON the ship? After the fact is a little late.

No I did not nor would I even think about doing that. Thiis is a meal of several courses that have to be timed perfectly, and obviously the timing between the galley and library was off. I would not consder complaing about a course at an event like this.

BTW, we diid not have Chef Allan Gomes that evening. We were handed a menu with his name on it, but the head chef that evening was a guy from india. I can't remember his name. He has very good and I have no complaints about him or the service.

Regarding the comment cards, I think Carnival would receive better feedback if you did not have to fill them out there on the spot. It's hard to criticize the event in front of the people that have been waiting on you hand and foot, plus you've been drinking at that point. A comment card that went to higher ups at your discretion would be a much better way to do the feedback. JMO.

I'm not really sure who you'd be tipping at the Chef's Table. The chefs' salaries are not based on gratuities, unlike waiters, stewards, and bar servers.

If Carnival says the gratuity is included that's good enough for me.

The $75 fee per person is a lot of money on top of the food you've already paid for (main dining room) and the wine is, well let's say, cheap wine.

Black Opal is a $7 bottle and less when on sale. Assuming you drink a whole bottle :eek:, is the food portion worth $68? Depends on what you like.

Now, if they did wine pairings it might be worth it. At least Princess does wine pairings.

These things are totally subjective IMHO>>>

remember what Shakespeare said about "One Man's Mead is another Man's Poison"?? Or Sly and the Family Stone : "Different Strokes for Different Folks"

One of my friends who did this chef table IS a personal chef, and her sons are trained chefs, one is head chef at our "W" Hotel...and she totally enjoyed the Chef's table

Other people (me) don't have that much interest in it and honestly I don't like to feel "stuffed". I maybe have one glass of wine...so the wine would not be a big draw

I appreciate the honest reviews. Just saying "it was wonderful" doesn't tell us much. The reviews that describe the group dynamics...and the amount of attention the chefs give you....are pretty helpful.

Detailed reviews, good or bad, give people a reasonable way to make up their own minds.

We have reservations for the Chef's Table on the Fascination in a few weeks. I'm starting to have reservations (he he) about it though. I'm thinking that the food in the MDR is very good; do I want to pay $150+ for the two of us to eat very very good food? Is it worth the extra "very?" What if the event is scheduled for the one and only night when I can get my beloved bitter-n-blanc in the MDR, during a show we really want to see or the evening we could be spending in Nassau? I wonder if we could cancel our reservations after we find out what we'd be missing that evening?

We have reservations for the Chef's Table on the Fascination in a few weeks. I'm starting to have reservations (he he) about it though. I'm thinking that the food in the MDR is very good; do I want to pay $150+ for the two of us to eat very very good food? Is it worth the extra "very?" What if the event is scheduled for the one and only night when I can get my beloved bitter-n-blanc in the MDR, during a show we really want to see or the evening we could be spending in Nassau? I wonder if we could cancel our reservations after we find out what we'd be missing that evening?

There is a $25 charge per person for cancellations within 24 hours of your scheduled dinner.

You may not find out what night your dinner is scheduled for until a couple of days before.

I agree that food quality in MDR is very good.

Edited by txcruiser

BTW, we diid not have Chef Allan Gomes that evening. We were handed a menu with his name on it, but the head chef that evening was a guy from india. I can't remember his name. He has very good and I have no complaints about him or the service.

Was it Diago? He was the 2nd in command during our Chef's Table and I talked to him more than Chef Gomes. He was super friendly and willing to answer any questions our table threw at him. He even called me by name during the little champagne reception in the galley at the beginning of the evening, and I asked him how he knew it already. He just said "oh, it's all part of the magic of the Chef's Table!" They really went out of their way to make everyone feel special and make sure we all had a great experience.

Was it Diago? He was the 2nd in command during our Chef's Table and I talked to him more than Chef Gomes. He was super friendly and willing to answer any questions our table threw at him. He even called me by name during the little champagne reception in the galley at the beginning of the evening, and I asked him how he knew it already. He just said "oh, it's all part of the magic of the Chef's Table!" They really went out of their way to make everyone feel special and make sure we all had a great experience.

It was probably him, but I can't say for sure. He did say he ordered all the food for the cruises and showed us his office in the galley as we were walking out.

I think for me the most enjoyable part of the evening was the galley tour, and the appetizers served in the galley, which were delicious.

Edited by txcruiser

Black Opal is a $7 bottle and less when on sale. Assuming you drink a whole bottle :eek:, is the food portion worth $68? Depends on what you like.

I think the Black Opal was $28/bottle on the boat. My wife liked it, which was surprising since she doesn't like red wine that much and we ended up ordering a bottle at the Steakhouse a couple of days later. I do remember the wine steward scoffing at our choice a bit since it was one of the cheapest selections, but we knew we liked it so we ordered it. He did make a little too much drama when he unscrewed the bottle cap though, I think he was trying to further demonstrate how inexpensive it was.