norwegian Jewel

retiredude

Drinks on NCL ships, if purchased individually, are similar to what they are at a higher end restaurant or lounge on shore. Mixed drinks and shots run from about $8 to as high as maybe $20. The average for the most common drinks seem to be $9 or $10. However, there is then an additional 18% service charge added to that. So purchasing the drink package is a matter of how much you drink each day and then doing the math.

Agree with the posts above; if this is being bought at full price you need to be more than qualified for full-blown alcoholic status while cruising! The missus and I are definitely boozehounds when vacationing, and yet have never found buying any booze package on any line to be worthwhile - even if you have a drink with lunch, 2 with dinner, a pre- and post-dinner cocktail you're losing money. That's before you even get into the qualitative issue of the limited selection of wines (only by the glass) and no real top shelf liquors (thanks to the $15 drink limit).

Many NCL cruises include it as a perk - but even then you have to pay 18% on the full daily cost (this is why casofilia's point that at least 2 drinks per day, every day, is needed when the package is 'free' because there is a measurable cost involved). We'd do OK based on our drinking habits - even buying some decent bottled wines for dinner we'd easily manage a couple of cocktails and a beer/glass of wine at lunch so the 'free' package works. But even if you hammer back twice as much as we do, a few excursions that remove some opportunity for boozing onboard, or one day booze free, makes it really hard to save much with the full-price packages.

I am on the Jewel in December this year & have taken the drinks package as one of the "free" options. I like the idea of paying whatever I can up front and having less of a surprise when I get my bill at the end of the cruise (did I really drink that much??)

We've had the "free" package as an option the last few cruises. We more than take full advantage of it, even with the 18% add on. An additional benefit of it, in addition to the drinks being already paid for, is the comfort it provides in taking the concern out of ordering. With the package I have explored many drinks I would never have tried if I was going to pay per drink. Last cruise, I decided to head into the Scotch territory. At home, I would never have bought a bottle, it being an unknown to me. However, on the ship, I tried each one they had several times each, even when I had to pay a small difference for a few that were over $15. But again, each person has to do the math based on their own drinking habits.

I declined the drink package on my last cruise and upcoming cruise. Now that they are charging the Haven for the taxes (tips?) on that package, I believe that we would not drink as much as the taxes cost me! Also, since I am Platinum, there are usually several events where drinks are offered for free. I agree that you have to do the math. Personally, sign me up for the upscale dining! Enjoy no matter what you choose! ;)

Just a reminder that the mandatory gratuity on NCL is now 20%. (Including spa , speciality dining, bars, and purchased packages.

If accepting drink promo, 20% is what is charged to cruise fare.

Same with dining promo, 20% is added to cruise fare.

As noted, Suites and Haven are no longer exempt from paying these fees. :mad: