Cruisers who like to read...

Community Contests

Weekly Contest

Have fun with weekly contests.  Win cool Cruise Critic prizes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:28 AM.
North Little Rock, AR
81 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I love to read and cruise!! I wish I could cruise more than I get the chance to though!! My favorite book series is Little House on the Prairie. Yes, I'm adult who loves this series!! I read through it about every couple of years. Right now I am reading through the Harry Potter series.
5 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
Originally posted by LRnascarfan
I love to read and cruise!! I wish I could cruise more than I get the chance to though!! My favorite book series is Little House on the Prairie. Yes, I'm adult who loves this series!! I read through it about every couple of years. Right now I am reading through the Harry Potter series.
Hello fellow reader......I too wish I could cruise more...I think I might be addicted to cruising AND reading... My favorite genre is Cozy Mysteries....however I too love the Little House on the Prairie series...and yes I am adult too. I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series....would you recommend it?
New England
16 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by ariesknowbest
... I haven't read any of the Harry Potter series....would you recommend it?
I recommend the Harry Potter series. I’m an adult, and enjoyed them very much. Super easy reads and feel written well that you get immersed quickly. I couldn’t put a few down until I was finished! I was fortunate to read some before they hit the big screen; I also recommend that if you have not seen the movies yet wait and read the books first 😊
North Little Rock, AR
81 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Yes!! I would recommend Harry Potter!! Like SunshinesJ says, they are very easy to get into and hard to put down. I also agree to read before seeing the movies if possible. The first few books they were able to fit into movies but as they got longer and longer the movies miss alot that you learn in the books. I also like James Patterson and Sue Grafton and some of Nicholas Sparks.
North Little Rock, AR
81 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by ariesknowbest
Thanks for the info on Harry Potter, I am going to have to read them. Do you have any cruises planned in the future? My next one is March 15.

My next one is March 15, 2019 on the Anthem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
152 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
I am a school librarian...basically I turned my love for books into a fabulous career! I read at least 4-6 novels a month during the school year and probably 8-10 a month during the summer! I love all sorts of genres, but tend to lean towards Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Horror & Action. My most favorite books are: IT by Stephen King, To Kill a Mockingbird, and the Harry Potter series
North Little Rock, AR
81 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I work at a high school and I am always in the library checking out books. I just read To Kill A Mockingbird about 4 years ago and was so good!! I really enjoyed it.
152 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by LRnascarfan
I work at a high school and I am always in the library checking out books. I just read To Kill A Mockingbird about 4 years ago and was so good!! I really enjoyed it.
I’m a high school librarian so your post makes me super happy!!!
505 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by BookDragon
I’m a high school librarian so your post makes me super happy!!!
My mother was a middle school librarian for 10+ years. ;-)

Can you recommend some historical fiction books for someone who enjoyed My Brother Sam is Dead and Johnny Tremaine?

Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GreySkies

Carnival Victory - Bahamas 11/2017; Grand Princess - Alaska 08/2015; Emerald Princess - Baltics 07/2014; Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera 12/2013; Norwegian Spirit - W. Caribbean 05/2011; Coral Princess - Panama Canal 12/2010; RCL Vision - E. Med. 10/2009; Disney (Premiere) StarShip Royale - Bahamas 08/1988
*Hyperlinks are to my review of that cruise.
72 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Love reading! I’m now picking out my reads for my cruise on the Magic in a few days. I love those cliche Fabio cover romance novels. I know they are cheesy but I just can’t help myself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Georgia
207 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Love to read. One of the best things about a cruise is lounging and reading or sitting on your balcony reading to the sound of the ocean. I’m a middle school teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cathy

Waiting to Travel

MSC- Seaside March 2018

Carnival Horizon September 2018
Celebrity Summit March 2019
MSC Bellissima June 2019

Past Cruises

RCL Harmony of the seas September 2017
Celebrity Equinox July 2017
NCl Escape September 2016
RCL Vision of the seas June 2016
RCL Allure of the seas April 2016
Carnival Sunshine 2015
Msc Divina 2014
Carnival Breeze 2013
RCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
Costa Atlantica 2005
Carnival Glory 2004
Carnival Inspiration 2003
Norwegian Norway 2002
Carnival Jubilee 2001
Carnival Tropicale 2000
United States
63 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Harry Potter is an absolute must! Don't let the hype of movies/books make you feel like they may be overrated . I can assure you the hype is well deserved!

Happy Reading!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
152 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by GreySkies
My mother was a middle school librarian for 10+ years. ;-)

Can you recommend some historical fiction books for someone who enjoyed My Brother Sam is Dead and Johnny Tremaine?

Thanks!
Hi Here are a few historical fictions I recommend: Rifles for Watie (American Revolution), Night (Holocaust), One Thousand White Women (1800's), Salt to the Sea (WWII), The Underground Railroad (American Slavery), The Brothers' Story (1863/Europe)
Near Baltimore, MD
1,935 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Just back from a cruise on the Pride. I took a copy of "Dangerous Crossing" by Rachel Rhys. It was fantastic.
I read each afternoon for a break from all the activities and excitement. The warm days out on deck and the cooler ones in a comfy seat somewhere by a window.
I finished it and am now longing for more books along the same lines. Any suggestions?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Addicted to cruising and hope I never kick the habit!!!!
Upstate NY
33 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I've been a college librarian for 30 (yikes) years. Whenever we sail, I take lots of paperbacks with me - some are romance and some are action.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Meridian - 1996
NCL Norway - 1997
NCL Majesty - ???
Celebrity Galaxy - 2003
Celebrity Galaxy - 2004
NCL Crown - 2006
NCL Jewel - 2010
NCL Jewel - 2010
NCL Gem - 2013