Tipping waiters

It really is no one else's business what you or anyone else tips. A generous tip for one may be a medium or slim tip for someone else. It's in an envelope anyway and no one will know. Give what you want to give, if anything at all on top of the gratuities/auto-tip.

This !!!

Your post is way out of line with anything posted in this thread. I do not understand your overreaction.

The OP asked how much to tip extra, IF HE WANTED TO TIP EXTRA.

Others weighed in on that question.

Why would you take that personally in any way, shape or form, or assume that somehow people care what YOU DO?

I just was gobsmacked by your post.

Exactly, she certainly didn´t read or understand the OP.

I figured I'd get a reply like yours....but my point is...

I like MTD...I like that we don't have same waiters each night and on ncl that is what happens...

So now I'm trying out rccl...I want MTD...I made ressies because I'm hearing we should for our family if 6....but I'm not stupid...and can certainly see that the game plan will be to sit us with the same waiter at the same table each night....

So that means...and there is no denying it...that the waiter will be all over us on the last night looking for and extra tip...and of course I'll feel bad if I don't give one...

Again...I want to try rccl...so no need to say go back to ncl...but I also like NOT knowing the waiters...and sitting in differing locations in the mdr each night

I wonder what the hostess will say when I say I want different locations and waiters each night...probably...oh we can't guarantee that as we booked you with the same guy and table each night

It better be a good location lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Then feel guilty and hand over money until you're broke.

<shrug>

I figured I'd get a reply like yours....but my point is... you don´t really have one

I like MTD...I like that we don't have same waiters each night and on ncl that is what happens... you can have that on RCI as well

So now I'm trying out rccl...I want MTD...I made ressies because I'm hearing we should for our family if 6....but I'm not stupid... that´s certainly debatetable and can certainly see that the game plan will be to sit us with the same waiter at the same table each night.... there is no game plan, they will seat you where they have room

So that means...and there is no denying it...interesting you already know this as a truth, though you´ve never sailed RCI that the waiter will be all over us on the last night looking for and extra tip...and of course I'll feel bad if I don't give one...

Again...I want to try rccl...so no need to say go back to ncl...but I also like NOT knowing the waiters...and sitting in differing locations in the mdr each night

I wonder what the hostess will say when I say I want different locations and waiters each night...probably...oh we can't guarantee that as we booked you with the same guy and table each night they didn´t book you with the same table and waiter each night. She will probably tell you, that she can´t guarantee you a table with a different wait team each night, as she might run out of locations and tables for 6 during the course of the cruise, depending on the size of ship and thus MTD. But she will also tell you she´ll try her best to accomodate (maybe a nice tip with your request helps:p).

Most of the time when I don´t ask for anything I end up all over the MTD room with different waiters every night. If I have had some excellent wait staff I´ve been asking to be seated with them again and they try hard to accomodate, but some days it doesn´t work. This might be different for a party of 6 though, as there are most likely fewer 6 table tops opposed to 2 table tops.

Thanks to all who responded in a timely and "professional cruiser/poster" manner lol!

We had MTD, made a reservation the first night, REALLY REALLY TRULY enjoyed our waiters, Arnold and Noor, on Adventure, I mean these guys were terrific! We liked them so much that we DID REQUEST them each night. We brought wine 5 out of 7 nights, and didn't charge a corkage fee, so saved me $75, and even gave me a decanter one night, and chilled my whites. Really went out of their way. We did prepay tips, regardless, the 18% is charged automatically at the end of the cruise, correct?

We ended up giving them $50 each, which I thought was definitely adequate.

Can't wait to book our next cruise, just thinking where/when we want to go!

I figured I'd get a reply like yours....but my point is...

I like MTD...I like that we don't have same waiters each night and on ncl that is what happens...

So now I'm trying out rccl...I want MTD...I made ressies because I'm hearing we should for our family if 6....but I'm not stupid...and can certainly see that the game plan will be to sit us with the same waiter at the same table each night....

So that means...and there is no denying it...that the waiter will be all over us on the last night looking for and extra tip...and of course I'll feel bad if I don't give one...

Well you can always do what passengers did 30 yrs ago before the auto tip and just not show up on the last night.

I wonder what the hostess will say when I say I want different locations and waiters each night...probably...oh we can't guarantee that as we booked you with the same guy and table each night

I never tip the dining staff on the last day. We have had MTD on other lines. We have different waitstaff or sometimes we have had the same people 2 or 3 days. If someone goes out of the way or does something special I will tip extra at the time of service. On Celebrity we had the drink package and the sommelier was very attentive all week so she received $50 at the end of the trip from me and my wife. I don't remember anyone else in the dining room going above and beyond.