Snorkeling: St. Thomas or St Kitts

botbien

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've been reading, I think you can find more consistent snorkeling on St Thomas but I've only been to either island once each and we didn't go to the beach on St Kitts. We did do an excursion on St Thomas that was a kayak, snorkel, beach walk and really enjoyed it. We'll be going again in May and have booked a Buck Island snorkeling trip. We do plan to go to the beach on St Kitts this time and have our own gear so can see what the beach snorkeling is like for ourselves.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've snorkeled in St. Thomas a few times (both on cruise stops and land stays) and St. Kitts twice. I would say St. Thomas was the better of the two. Specifically Coki Beach, right besides Coral World. Both times I was in St. Kitts I snorkeled on basically the same stretch of beach (South Friar Bay), although on opposite sides. Once at Carambola Beach Resort and once by the Shipwreck bar. Water was murky both times but the day we spent at Shipwreck was less murky. Unless you swim out to the rocks of the wave breaker behind Carambola, there's absolutely nothing to see there. I saw a few fish by the Shipwreck area that I had not seen on other stops (and we snorkeled all the islands in the Fascination's itinerary except Antigua and Dominica).

Snorkeling at St Thomas had more variety, more colorful fish and in larger quantities. There are pictures of both beaches and my experience on them in my reviews in my signature below if you want to check them out.

On port stops in St. Thomas we love going to St. John to snorkel. :)

Ditto on St. John (from St. Thomas)!!!! We snorkeled at Trunk Bay in St. John last week. This was our second time snorkeling here, and I would happily go back again. It was great! The beach is BEAUTIFUL (no shade though). We saw a sea turtle hanging out and a barracuda, along with a ton of other fish and a pretty good reef. No food or snacks available yet. But they have beach chairs and snorkel gear rentals, bathrooms and showers.

We’ve also snorkeled at Nevis. I don’t remember it being great, but it has been a few years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto on St. John (from St. Thomas)!!!! We snorkeled at Trunk Bay in St. John last week. This was our second time snorkeling here, and I would happily go back again. It was great! The beach is BEAUTIFUL (no shade though). We saw a sea turtle hanging out and a barracuda, along with a ton of other fish and a pretty good reef. No food or snacks available yet. But they have beach chairs and snorkel gear rentals, bathrooms and showers.

We’ve also snorkeled at Nevis. I don’t remember it being great, but it has been a few years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree! St. John is much better for snorkeling than Nevis. (y)