Camera Question

LinVirginia

With all the rain often experienced on Alaska cruises, did any of you see the need for a waterproof camera pouch for your camera? I am wondering if the rain hurt your camera? I hate messing with a case but wonder if there's a need. Thank you!

You might get some more eyes on this question on the photography board, as well as more expertise on Pros & Cons of waterproof camera accessories - there are plenty of rainy cruise destinations so it's hardly specific to Alaska... but for me my very-rainy-day scenario involves a simple plastic bag.

Cut a small hole in the bottom of the bag you can slip the lens through and secure with a rubber band. Then you can easily reach inside the open end of the bag to manipulate controls/see screen on the body. As long as you have any kind of external 'sticky out bit' for the lens this works, so any kind of extended zoom P&S camera as well as SLRs.

Most of the time though a wide-brimmed hat provides enough shelter for the camera while in use, and there's always a cloth in my camera bag to wipe down the camera quickly of any drops before putting it away again.

I've had trouble with a non-weather-resistant (or at least not marketed as weather-resistant) DSLR on a couple Alaska tours, but they were rather wet days and also involved time in an extremely humid boat, so I'm not surprised. The camera dried out and was back to normal operation within two days.

Have you (or would you) ever consider getting an underwater camera? Some of the waterproof cases are fairly expensive so getting a dedicated water camera might be worth the investment.

I bought one quite a few years ago to use while snorkeling, but it was so nice to have on rainy days in Alaska. I didn't have to give a thought to water damage and got some decent photos.

On the rainy days when I did have my better camera, I would just tuck it inside my waterproof rain jacket. If it wasn't raining too hard then I could quick pull it out to take a photo and then back in it went. I had the camera on a neck strap and the giant bulge inside the jacket maybe looked weird, but it worked for me.