Excursion help needed in Juneau

TwinMamainMN

We will arrive on Radiance of the Seas and have a LONG day in Juneau from 7am-9:30pm. We are going whale watching in Icy Strait/Hoonah. Travelling with 6 people total - 3 adults, including my 73 year old mother and 3 kids ages 10/10/6. Our daughter is in a wheelchair for long distances but can walk some and/or transfer. Hiking or anything strenuous isn't going to work for us.;p

What would you recommend?

Many people rent a car. The shuttle to Mendenhall has become too expensive, so a car works out much better esp for a family.

Since you have a long day, you can easily visit Mendenhall then drive to the coast to see Eagle Beach, Shrine of St Therese, Roads End, plus a visit to Douglass Island and the Fish Hatchery if there's a salmon run.

Lets you move around at your own pace, enjoy the accessible trail at Mendenhall, hang out at the beach and watch for whales and bald eagles, stop for lunch.

There is little roadway in Juneau so impossible to get lost. There's a map in the Juneau Visitor Guide that also posts the distances between popular locations. There's a link to the Guide on the HELPFUL RESOUCES thread, as well as the Mendenhall site which has trail maps.

Many people rent a car. The shuttle to Mendenhall has become too expensive, so a car works out much better esp for a family.

Since you have a long day, you can easily visit Mendenhall then drive to the coast to see Eagle Beach, Shrine of St Therese, Roads End, plus a visit to Douglass Island and the Fish Hatchery if there's a salmon run.

Lets you move around at your own pace, enjoy the accessible trail at Mendenhall, hang out at the beach and watch for whales and bald eagles, stop for lunch.

There is little roadway in Juneau so impossible to get lost. There's a map in the Juneau Visitor Guide that also posts the distances between popular locations. There's a link to the Guide on the HELPFUL RESOUCES thread, as well as the Mendenhall site which has trail maps.

Thank you MapleLeaves, this helps immensely!! The pace and freedom gained from renting a vehicle sounds lovely and low key.

I would normally recommend the Tracy Arm Fjord trip with Adventure Bound when you have the amount of time in port that you have. I'm not sure how bored the children might be with 10 hours on a smaller boat. There is lots of scenery and wildlife to see. If you think they would be completely bored, the car rental is probably your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would normally recommend the Tracy Arm Fjord trip with Adventure Bound when you have the amount of time in port that you have. I'm not sure how bored the children might be with 10 hours on a smaller boat. There is lots of scenery and wildlife to see. If you think they would be completely bored, the car rental is probably your best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would probably recommend this also. Price wise, it is a deal. It sounds like your daughter could probably handle this as little walking is involved.