Cheers beverage program on Carnival

RTblondie

I am a virgin cruiser. Is it worth the purchase or better to pay as you go. I am not a big drinker, but I do want to partake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Figuring out if it's worth it, is completely up to you.

I will share what I experienced with Cheers.

Carnival has a max of 15 drinks per day, on Princess there is no limit and in the past I had never paid attention to how many drinks I've ever had....

When I cruised Carnival with Cheers, I never hit 15 and we stayed out in the amazing piano bar every night with our family celebrating a big birthday.

The cool thing about Cheers is that it includes all drinks up to $49(?) each. I can't recall finding anything I wanted for that much money, but it was nice to know if I wanted it, I could have it.

If you are not a heavy drinker, think about how many drinks you would have a day, water, coffee, mimosas, lunch drinks, pre dinner, during dinner, post dinner. Remember that gratuity is added to drinks if you are paying individually too. Are you a beer drinker? Mixed drinks? Beers tend to be cheaper than mixed drinks.

Also, everyone in the cabin together has to get the Cheers program.

The reason I get the all inclusive drink packages when cruising is that I don't want to worry about how much I'm spending. It's prepaid for. I have found that there are days I am way under what I paid and other days I feel like I've gotten my money's worth. However, the benefit of not having to worry about it and just drink away is worth it to me.

Thank for breaking it down. I keep going back and forth. I don't tend to drink much, but sometimes I want to just go for it. I, too, don't want to worry about the cost and just relax. Thanks!!!! Cheers

hi there

You have mentioned that "you don't drink much". Then you say that "I want to go for it".

Break even point is about 6 drink a day. If you were only going to have 3-4 drinks typically and one day have a dozen, then you would likely be better off just paying as you go. A lot of people who have purchased the package who are not normally big drinker, say they feel the need to drink more to justify the cost. Like you I "don't drink much", I would never spend that much in a week for alcohol, I would never buy the drink package. I can buy a drink anytime I want and don't have to worry about cost, because I don't drink much.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I am a virgin cruiser. Is it worth the purchase or better to pay as you go. I am not a big drinker, but I do want to partake.

Hi RT,

There are couple of considerations I'd factor in to your decision. Firstly, if you pre-pay for your drink package then gratuities are not charged. Otherwise, you are charged 15% on each drink.

Secondly, drinks packages do not include only alcohol. On a typical day I will have one or two specialty coffees in the AM (latte, cappuccino etc), 3-4 bottles of water, one or two club soda's in the evening interspersed with my alcohol intake. These items would all be charged for in the absence of a drinks package. Then in the afternoon I may have a couple of cold beers or maybe a drink of the day. 2 glasses of wine with dinner and maybe a liqueur in the evening.

All-in, I find the drinks package makes sense. Yes, it is possible to get "cafeteria" coffee for free along with the free lemonade or ice tea but these don't work for me.

Lastly, I prepay all my cruise expenses before I sail. Cruise, taxes, gratuities and drinks. (I don't really do excursions anymore). Once I'm on board I never have to look at my charges because I know they'll be minimal.

So ... if you drink coffees, water, soft drinks etc in addition to 5-6 drinks a day, you'll find value in the package.

Happy Cruising,

HTP

You will find many threads on the pros and cons of the Cheers program on the Carnival board.

And you do pay the 15% gratuity if you pre purchase the Cheers program...the only difference with pre purchasing on line or waiting until you board, will be $5 per day. If pre purchased, it comes out to be $57.44 per day with gratuity. Everybody 21 and older in the cabin needs to purchase the program.

I have purchased this package and will be partaking in approx. 12 days!! WooHoo! We've done drinks packages on RCCL and NCL both but they were unlimited number (but price capped).

Do the non-alcoholic (coffees, milkshakes, sodas, etc.) count toward your limit of 15? Is is 15 alcoholic drinks, or 15 drinks total per person in a day?

I have purchased this package and will be partaking in approx. 12 days!! WooHoo! We've done drinks packages on RCCL and NCL both but they were unlimited number (but price capped).

Do the non-alcoholic (coffees, milkshakes, sodas, etc.) count toward your limit of 15? Is is 15 alcoholic drinks, or 15 drinks total per person in a day?

It's 15 alcoholic drinks...non alcoholic do not count towards the total.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know if Titos Vidka is part of the Cheers Program? I called carnival and they can't give me an answer. I know you can have it ordered to your room but I don't know if it's considered a premium vodka ?? I don't want to purchase for cheers program if that is not included

• 9 months later...