Veendam --- need real assessment

Cstone65

In the past 15 years or so I have cruised about 20 times on various mass market cruise lines: HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCI and once on Oceania. NEVER on another ship have I experienced the sewage-smelling odors that permeated through the public areas and corridors of the Veendam. And no, I didn't "love hating it." It was my hard-earned vacation. Ship happens" is when you miss a port. It's not when your cabin corridor smells like "ship."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mrs Banjo and I have sailed a lot of times on many different cruise lines, occasionally we have encountered issues with smells, bad service, and about every condition you can imagine. The bottom line is Veendam is still a quality ship, will she have issues? I’m sure, but the cruise is mostly what YOU make of it. If you are expecting bad things, bad things will happen, if you go with the flow and enjoy what is good, you will most always come away happy with the experience. We will be on Veendam again in May, we are looking forward to a great cruise on one of our favorite ships in the HAL fleet

Mrs Banjo and I have sailed a lot of times on many different cruise lines, occasionally we have encountered issues with smells, bad service, and about every condition you can imagine. The bottom line is Veendam is still a quality ship, will she have issues? I’m sure, but the cruise is mostly what YOU make of it. If you are expecting bad things, bad things will happen, if you go with the flow and enjoy what is good, you will most always come away happy with the experience. We will be on Veendam again in May, we are looking forward to a great cruise on one of our favorite ships in the HAL fleet

Please don't tell me, or the OP, or anyone else, how to enjoy a cruise vacation. As I have stated previously, "going with flow" is a missed port, bad weather, a dreadful comedian, or coping with chair hogs. It is not boarding a ship that management knows is rife with mechanical and plumbing issues that directly impact a passenger's experience.

Pretty strong statement. Can you back this up?

Not that I have too, but because I want to, I am referencing a Montreal to Boston itinerary taken in early July 2016.

I don't know how you can quantify "sewage odors" throughout the ship at varying times and loud mechanical noises that woke us from a deep sleep several nights during the cruise. I didn't record the noises but guest services was called each time it happened.

At this point, I'm glad I already did the sail-in to Venice because I would not be doing it on the Veendam.

For all you Veendam lovers out there - we'll just have to agree to disagree on what is an acceptable inconvenience on a cruise.

Not that I have too, but because I want to, I am referencing a Montreal to Boston itinerary taken in early July 2016.

I don't know how you can quantify "sewage odors" throughout the ship at varying times and loud mechanical noises that woke us from a deep sleep several nights during the cruise. I didn't record the noises but guest services was called each time it happened.

At this point, I'm glad I already did the sail-in to Venice because I would not be doing it on the Veendam.

For all you Veendam lovers out there - we'll just have to agree to disagree on what is an acceptable inconvenience on a cruise.

I was interested in the statement you made with no qualification or how you gained this insight into management's inent as well as the extent of your term "rife" - hoping you could enlighten us more - splitting hairs here over word choces, but you did make a very sweeping condemnation of both ship and company, yet all we got were some unfortunate noises on occasion and no clear understanding about the source, extent or duration of smells.

You wrote: ..... It is not boarding a ship that management knows is rife with mechanical and plumbing issues that directly impact a passenger's experience......

I was interested in the statement you made with no qualification or how you gained this insight into management's inent as well as the extent of your term "rife" - hoping you could enlighten us more - splitting hairs here over word choces, but you did make a very sweeping condemnation of both ship and company, yet all we got were some unfortunate noises on occasion and no clear understanding about the source, extent or duration of smells.

You wrote: ..... It is not boarding a ship that management knows is rife with mechanical and plumbing issues that directly impact a passenger's experience......

If you board a ship and the odors are apparent from day one you can make a fairly reasonable assumption that management is already aware of the situation. I certainly didn't bring the sewage on board with me. The smells lasted all week. As for the noises, guest services was not at all surprised by our complaints. In fact, our TA was surprised that HAL was so quick to offer OBC.

It's obvious that short of us going back in time to experience the cruise all over again nothing I write is going to satisfy you. So I am going to end it now. As I said in a previous post, we have to agree to disagree but it seems you just won't let it go. For my part, I'm done.

We did 35 day Voyage of the Vikings a few years ago, and I’ll not sail her nor sisters again.

HAL food and service are always exemplary. However the Veendam is past its prime. There are a couple of design flaws that are unlikely correctable. First there is not a mid-ship elevator bay. Causes crowds at busy times of day. Perhaps only of interest for those of us with mobility issues. For those who attend the shows in the Queens Lounge, the balcony’s seating is uninhabitable IMO. And likely others as the lower level filled to capacity plus before many seats were taken above. Then there’s the fact that that to go aft from the showroom floor, one must move first vertically. We usually just waited about 10 minutes by the front desk for the crowds to lessen.

We did 35 day Voyage of the Vikings a few years ago, and I’ll not sail her nor sisters again.

Just some worthless trivia; It's sister (singular) since there's only Maasdam left after Ryndam and Statendam left the fleet three years ago already

Thanks for your comments!

Just some worthless trivia; It's sister (singular) since there's only Maasdam left after Ryndam and Statendam left the fleet three years ago already

Thanks for your comments!

We have not sailed Veendam (yet, but I cannot think of anny reason why not), just curious if Veendam shares the open deck on top of the Crows Nest, just like the Maasdam has. So far, we only experienced the open deck on Maasdam, which is a nice place to enjoy sail-ins and such. All of the other ships we went on, all have the glass shielded deck on top instead.

We have not sailed Veendam (yet, but I cannot think of anny reason why not), just curious if Veendam shares the open deck on top of the Crows Nest, just like the Maasdam has. So far, we only experienced the open deck on Maasdam, which is a nice place to enjoy sail-ins and such. All of the other ships we went on, all have the glass shielded deck on top instead.

Veendam and Maasdam have the same config on top, Jeroen

140223150833-holland-american-veendam---restricted-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Veendam

HALMAA.jpg?1536298888584%20=1536298888584

Maasdam

Veendam and Maasdam have the same config on top, Jeroen

Veendam

Maasdam

Thanks for the info John, I thought it would be the same, judging pictures on the web, but you never know the age of them, so maybe it had changed.

We were pleasantly surprised with this top view on Maasdam, can’t wait until we sail her again later this year.

Thanks for the info John, I thought it would be the same, judging pictures on the web, but you never know the age of them, so maybe it had changed.

We were pleasantly surprised with this top view on Maasdam, can’t wait until we sail her again later this year.

The Mexican sailor was extra, Navy Man! ;)

HAL food and service are always exemplary. However the Veendam is past its prime. There are a couple of design flaws that are unlikely correctable. First there is not a mid-ship elevator bay. Causes crowds at busy times of day. Perhaps only of interest for those of us with mobility issues. For those who attend the shows in the Queens Lounge, the balcony’s seating is uninhabitable IMO. And likely others as the lower level filled to capacity plus before many seats were taken above. Then there’s the fact that that to go aft from the showroom floor, one must move first vertically. We usually just waited about 10 minutes by the front desk for the crowds to lessen.

Thank you for noticing those with mobility issues might not like the Veendam or Maasdam - the only remaining two-elevator smaller ships.

The "top view" of the Maasdam - the open-railing top deck is what we love most of all about her No massive, smoked glass slanted wind-barrier on her, making open forward views and camera shots impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the Canada/New England cruise on the Veendam. We had a wonderful time and saw NO problems with the ship. The food was superb, service was excellent and the ports we stopped in were all enjoyable. I would not worry about booking this ship for any cruise. Our inside room was spacious compared to other lines that we have cruised on. I did not smell any "offensive odors" and did not see anything that appeared to be needing repair or seemed neglected. Enjoy your cruise, you should have a WONDERFUL time!

We just left the Veendam, after 14 days (Boston- Montreal- Boston) and will file a review in due time. Left Boston 9/1/2018 and returned 9/15/2018.

Highlights: Arrived in port at 11:20 dropped wife with bags at dock, parked car and walked back to ship by 11:30. Onboard, before noon. Similarly, disembarkation occurred 30 minutes ahead of time, and from when we were called to being at the curb, that process was 12 minutes. 12.

Food: Highest quality, easily comparable to Celebrity MDR/Lido. Pinnacle met difficult standards of ultra premium. Desserts and baked goods were exceptional. Comparable to better onshore bakery.

Ship status: Fine. I mean, it's old. So what? Quebec is Quebec no matter if a piece of carpet needs replacement. Didn't impact our stay.

Ship itself: Yeah, that kind of sucks. The whole bit with the elevators is something you have to live with, and not being able to get to the MDR from Guest Services is idiotic, as is having room numbers like 707 and 656 on Deck Five. Get over it and sail on.

Ports: Outstanding, other than Sydney.

Service: Off the charts good.

Smells: Not a one.

Value: Not a fair comparison. I got $399 per person/per leg. At that price point concessions are made. At twice the number, it still would have been good value. At $1200, which some paid to get a veranda ... mmm. Maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took it from Montreal to Boston, Sept 8-15, 2018, and posted a review here on Cruiscritic. I thought Veendam was great. Not shiny and new, but nobody's going to build a new ship this size anymore (I don't think), and I much prefer a ship like Veendam to a megaship. But they really appeal to very different travelers too.

Anyway, if you want more specifics go see the review I put up. I liked the Maasdam too.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=634384

A couple photos:

Arriving at Quebec City at dawn:

P1010601.JPG

Taking the tender in at Bar Harbor:

P1020121.JPG

A few years ago Veendam was the subject of quite a few negative reviews. On one Canada/New England Cruise she failed her inspection and many passengers were very unhappy with the shape the ship was in. As a result, I believe HAL didn't renew the contracts of several upper management people. I had a friend on that cruise, and they refuse to consider HAL again, even thou they had two good cruises on other ships prior.

Since that time Veendam has had at least one, probably two dry docks. I have been on three cruises on Veendam, one Quebec City to Boston, then Ft Lauderdale to Montreal and finally Montreal to Fort Lauderdale. While I am not picky, I didn't find any problems with the ship or crew and would easily consider another Veendam cruise.

Yes, Veendam is older but the crew takes good care of the ship. Remember that people who have problems are more likely to complain and that people who have a good time generally don't write as many reviews.

Amen, Rich.

Just took it from Montreal to Boston, Sept 8-15, 2018, and posted a review here on Cruiscritic. I thought Veendam was great. Not shiny and new, but nobody's going to build a new ship this size anymore (I don't think), and I much prefer a ship like Veendam to a megaship. But they really appeal to very different travelers too.

Anyway, if you want more specifics go see the review I put up. I liked the Maasdam too.

A couple photos:

P1010601.JPG

P1020121.JPG

Thanks for your review - very helpful information and beautiful pictures. I'm doing the Montreal to Ft Lauderdale cruise on the 6th and I'm seriously thinking about the Fun With Falcons excursion. That just looks amazing!

A couple photos:

P1010601.JPG

P1020121.JPG

Love your photo of Quebec City (I was born there). I'll be sailing on the Veendam in January. I'd rather be on an old ship than no ship:D